Savage X 4.6 Big Block RTR Starting

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dirttrackin280h

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
Hi,

I just received my first nitro RC yesterday (Hpi Savage X 4.6 Big Block RTR) and I am having trouble getting it to start. I followed all instructions. All my batteries, glow ignitor, is all charged. I got it to start up and idle for about 5 seconds, then it dies. I can't get it to idle for a long period of time. Since I am suppose to let it idle for a full tank of gas for break in. Then I did the steps in the manual, for a flooded engine. I did all the steps.
What is it I am doing wrong?? Any help is appreciated!

You're doing nothing wrong amigo. This is one of the fun aspects of Nitro. Your low speed needle might be literally 1/16th of a turn too rich. Or your idle stop screw could be too far out by 1/16th of a turn.

Thanks for the reply!
When I get it started, the wheels are spinning pretty good, so I believe that would be the idle adjustment, correct? But, the manual didn't tell me to touch any adjustment for break in, only after break in. Should i start doing adjustements now? Because I can't keep it running. :bow:

Another thing I might add. I have already ran 3/4 of a tank, and I havn't even got a full 1 minute idle. It's just been blowing oil/fuel out of the exhaust. This is normal, correct?
Should I add another tank full and let it idle for a tank?

You really aren't supposed to let an engine idle for an entire tank... Search on the heat cycle method.