savage vs monster gt

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
well, as far as the differentials. I heared that its very convienent with the 6 screw thing, but the stock casing allows more movement than the first savage and requires some good shimming

I actually started thinking about maybe getting a revo instead... all I really want is a big 4wd stadium truck with higher clearance than 2wd trucks, and the revo seems to fit that bill nicely. from what I've heard it's a lot more durable than the tmaxx. what do you guys think?

Revo is also an excellent choice. I havent really heard bad things about them. Light, and fast. And also, from what i hear close to the durability of a savage. The revo is also a bit more pricy though.

a bit more pricy yes, but I can get a 3.3 for probably $440-450 (haven't checked yet), so it's not too much more than a savage...

I have had and currently own one of each (t-maxx, savage, and revo)

All are great trucks. I'd say it's an even toss up between the revo and the savage. Yes, the revo is a little bit more pricey, but consider that it also comes with the reverse (which you may or may not want) and an RX pack stock with a charger. Dual servos make it turn better right out of the box.

I also own a savage X which I've made into a racer. I love that truck too. It's hard to say which one I like better as I enjoy them both.

yah I'm still having trouble deciding. I can get the savage for $400, the revo 2.5 for $420, and the revo 3.3 for $455. if I went revo then I'd get the 3.3 for sure with that little of a price difference. whatever, I still have plenty of time to decide, I don't even have enough money yet to get any of them...

it really all depends on what your gonna do, as others have stated. if your going for big air, backflips, and general punishment get a savage, they can be made to handle better but stock there not to good. I've never owned a revo (yet, I'm picking it up tomorow) but from what I've seen they perform well on all situations. and if you do some lightening of key parts, (lighter ball ends, rods, wheels/tires ect) there practicaly unbreakable. plus the suspension is about the most tuneable on a MT. I've never had a mgt but they look nice and are BIG, i just can't get over how much they look like a overgrown t-maxx. i guess thats just me.

you can't really go by what we tell you, it all depends on what your gonna do. if all your gonna do is beat on it then by all means a savage is the ticket. )trust me i beat the hell outa mine, it just laughs at me and is like "is that all you got??") but if there is a chance your gonna race, (real race or just racing your buddys) then look at the revo. imo its worth the extra cash if your gonna race.

you stated you wanted a "big 4wd stadium truck with higher clearance than 2wd trucks" check into a truggy. there more $$ but WAY more responsive and race worthy.

so summary

bash: savage (its not hard to work on if it never breaks, and once you figure it out, as busted said, its pretty easy.)
50:50: revo
race: truggy

i have no opinion about the mgt because I've never had one and only looked at one once.

A MGT is in no way a overgrown T-Maxx.I have owned many savages and I love my MGT..Man they are tough as nails and handle way better than a savage...I plan on buying another MGT because I love mine so much...The chassis is a wide open layout easy to work on(if you ever have to).The drivetrain will handle just about anything you can throw at it...

Mark

yah know, I'm beginning to lean toward a mgt or revo... I like how durable the savage is, but everyone is saying how it has such bad handling.. a mgt is nice because it's so cheap...

I was constantly wreching on my savage replacing rear ring and pinion gears..I have yet to strip a MGT ring or pinion running a LRP 28 Spec3.And running it to death....The diff cases on a GT hold the gears like 1/8 scale buggies do..They give better support and hold the ring and pinion together better for a tighter mesh..

I wouldnt call Savages bad handling. Its "ok". I beat the neighbor and his MGT pretty much everytime we race. All you really do to make the savage handle better is take out any shock spacers, and that helps lots from tipping over. Then just adjust shock oils and spring rates as necesary

redhatman said:
I wouldnt call Savages bad handling. Its "ok". I beat the neighbor and his MGT pretty much everytime we race. All you really do to make the savage handle better is take out any shock spacers, and that helps lots from tipping over. Then just adjust shock oils and spring rates as necesary

That's because I'm not your neighbor..LOL..

Seriously if I were to do it again I'd go with a MGT. My revo has a hard time keeping up with dads mgt. MGT parts are just as cheap and easy to find as revo parts. And you can run any big block you want and not have to worry about tearing something up!

vbgagnon said:
Seriously if I were to do it again I'd go with a MGT. My revo has a hard time keeping up with dads mgt. MGT parts are just as cheap and easy to find as revo parts. And you can run any big block you want and not have to worry about tearing something up!

There you go.A perfect response..I was uneasy bout buying a MGT but after running one I will not run anything else..

Back