Savage quick question

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ajeauxdn

RCTalk Talkaholic
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
What is the normal temps for a savage (factory engine) to run at. I my temp gun is getting it at 300 -310, I know that this is HOT, but if I richen it up, performance just gets really spluttery, I just want to make sure that running at 300 is ok for this engine, I am not gonna run it again untill I get a response from you guys

check it with another gun.
sounds like yours might be off a little

Well i used another gun and my engine temps are still at 280-310 up and down, I am not liking this at all, I have never had to deal with a 3 needle carb so i am even more worried I will not be able to tune it properly, I am gonna make a list and I could use your suggest on each one

1) it will not shift, and never seems to get going fsat neough to shift
2) sometimes when I go WOT and then let off it dies

and the temps are still high, any help would be appreciated.

It sounds like your running it a little too lean. Try opening up the HSP a little.

Normal stock .21bb engine on my Savage is around 280. Mine runs great from 240 to 280. Once I get up to 290, I richen it up more. You mention yours sputters when you richen it. Turn it 1/8 at a time, run it for a couple passes, then check the temps again. It's not gonna be instant when you adjust the HSN. If you're not shifting, you might want to adjust your shift point. Another thing is, how many tanks have you got to run in your Savage? Mine didn't shift until about the 8th tank.

Mugen? really it didn't shift untill the 8th tank? wow thats weird I gues it takes some time, It has about 7 tanks of gas run through it, The engine is really peppy I mean when I gun it it raise the front shocks and drops teh back, One thing it is doing is after going WOT for a sec and then let of the gas it kinda sputters and has to catch its breathe, or so it seems. What adjustment is causing this (LSN) and how do I know how to adjust the midrange needle

Ajeauxdn,

Suppose for a minute that your HSN is too lean and your LSN is too rich. In such a case, the RC will have poor acceleration and speed at normal temps (240ish). When the LSN is leaned more, the performace increases to a normal level, but the temps increase to an unsafe level (290+). This is a very common mistake and I did it for the longest time. Try This:

First warm it up. Put the HSN where it performs great (but at an unsafe temp). Then, richen it up a full 1/4 turn. At this setting, the engine shouldn't bog down, but the performance will be in the toilet. If it does bog down, lean it ever so slightly until the bogging goes away at WOT. Performace should still be pretty crappy.

Now, tune the LSN: First, you need to reset the ISS for this to work. After you do that, warm it up and then clean it out (give it a good shot of WOT to get all the built up fuel out of the carb). Then then let it idle. It should idle for exactly 10 second before it loads up from fuel and dies. I'm guessing your LSN is rich so it may not idle and die right away. If it does that, lean the LSN 1/8th of a turn and try again. If it idels for more than 10 seconds, richen it up 1/8th of a turn. Idles too long --> too lean. Idels too short --> too rich. Remember to always do the test after you clean out the carb and always when it's warm (210+ degrees).

When you're done, I bet it's a completely different animal.

People forget how much inflence the LSN has on performance. It effects the whole throttle range (accpet for a small part close to WOT).

-Rob

Last edited: