Savage Dogbones

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RC RICK

RCTalk Rookie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
Hi i have had my savage a week and i have already snaped three driveshafts please help me out has this happened to anyone else cause they aint all that cheap they are 12 pounds which is about 18 dollars a pair
THANKS
RICK:devious:

Are you running the stock? Best I can tell, most stock ones are being snapped due to screws coming loose around the bulkhead areas (Woodie!). I have noticed that a lot of the screws on the TVP's come loose. Make sure you lok-tite those down if they are metal to metal. I havent snapped a dog bone yet and have about 20 tanks through after todays bashing.

I did however pickup a spare of the HPI Heavy duties just in case.

Lastly, call HPI and bitch them out and see if they will replace them for you. It wont be the first time that a new vehicle had a stream of faulty parts out there. There is a chance that there was/is a bad batch of bones out there. They should replace them free.

ok.. go find the chrome stock dogbones.. i assume you speak of the ones going to the wheels, not tranny like CR has stated, the chrome colored ones last and last, the stock ones here in the USA can be sent to HPi for free replacements if you word a letter nicely, it is a manafacturing defect so check with your warentee people.. hope this helps ya out...

also i broke.. 1 dogbone to the left front wheel at 6 tanks, the right front at 12 tanks, was bent since tank6, and bent the right front in 1 tank after that. my rear driveshaft has a 1/8" tweek to it..

mine have both bent at the drive cup to the tranny, at the lip where it goes fron thick to thin, making the weak point that breaks..

the 3 chrome ones i have in the truck, 2 been on it since tank 6 are still like new.. when i bend/break #4 i will send them all to hpi in april, for free replacements, they supposed to be changing th emanifacturin gdesign to help prevent the weak link. at least in gossip I've heard..

i've broken 3 dog bones so far. i replace the rear with heavy duty ones and front with hotboddies cvd's. i also bought an extra set of heavy duty bones for the rear but i dont think i'm going to need it.

it's never happened to me yet, *knock on wood*

As soon as I put in the 8port, I put in the HPI Heavy Duty DB's. I have the GPM Ti Drive Shafts, I know they dont have a good rep so far, but I will see how they do?

If you remember I broke my dogbone in less than 36 hours from the time I bought it until it broke. HPI might have cut some corners on the dogbones thus the reason they seem to break easily. However when mine broke I replaced them with the hardened steel dogbones and have not had any problems since.

broke 4th one today... now i got all 4 reay so i can mail them to hpi... 3 of my HD chrrome ones look good, 1 is starting to flake chrome.. wonder if it is going to break...

Well, sounds like you arnt having the best of luck so far, but hopefully the HD DB's will hold.

I have just bought a pair of chrome and will try them and let you no but i can't take my savage out until i get my new servo cause i stripped a gear in my steering servo
THANKS RICK

so what is it that you are all doing to these trucks to break them i have bashed mine all over a construction site and the only thing i broke was the stupid primer button off the tank.

My brother's broke on the 4th or 5th tank. Just after he finished breaking his in, it broke. He was wondering why he was able to fishtail so easily and do donuts.. Broke his front one. I broke my front one about 2 weeks ago. Just the torque I guess when we just take off after a turn or a jump. Don't know, but the chromes are holding their own.

Back