Rotostart Issues

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlueRidge1

RCTalk Qualifier
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
I just read on another site that someone was having problems with the gears stripping out in the rotostart. They claimed that the new engine just had too much compression for the unit. It seemed like a reasonable claim. Are any of you guys having this problem? I'd sure hate not to be able to start my new toy when it arrives.

I don't have the new 25 but if this is an issue, then you might want to do the breakin with the pull start before installing the roto start. I'm just thinking that the engine is at its tighest initially. After the breakin and a few tanks I'd think the internal parts will be a bit more free and put less strain on the starter. The only problem I've had with the roto and the 21 was oil got into the one way bearing and I had to clean it out. I had though it ate the bearing but that was not the case. I'm not a pull start fan so the roto is good for me.

I just got a savage 21 (used) and I got a blister on top of a blister, I am getting that rotostart

get the rotostart its got to be three times as good it seems like. i never got blisters but then again my truck only ran for 12 seconds before i broke the pullstart

I have the 25 and my roto start works great. You just have to make sure the battery in the Rotostart is fresh, if not it will struggle to turn the engine.

I have one works great exept my oneway got a crack in it and had to replace it.

My savage 25 is on it's 3rd one way and I've got around 17 tanks through it. My sons savage 25 is still on it's original one way so go figure. The roto start does seem to stress the one way quite a bit so I stopped using it in favor of my makita cordless drill with which I can control the rpm's. Have any of you also had the button on the roto start stick in the down position? Both of my roto start units have done this and I've had to loosen the two screws by the button to get it to unstick. Not good when you're trying to start the engine and the unit is on continuously.

Originally posted by Puffnstuff
My savage 25 is on it's 3rd one way and I've got around 17 tanks through it. My sons savage 25 is still on it's original one way so go figure. The roto start does seem to stress the one way quite a bit so I stopped using it in favor of my makita cordless drill with which I can control the rpm's. Have any of you also had the button on the roto start stick in the down position? Both of my roto start units have done this and I've had to loosen the two screws by the button to get it to unstick. Not good when you're trying to start the engine and the unit is on continuously.

The start button on mine got stuck on the on position and I had to disconnect the battery to get it to stop.

Puffnstuff,

What do you mean by "one way"?

BTW I received my Savage 25 today! Can anyone believe I am spending the evening reading the manual first???

OK a one way hints the name is a bearing that spins one way freely and lockes up the other way. If you take off your pullstart or roto start you will notice a "nut" it you take it out and look on the inside you can see some roller thing. As for as how does one work... I dont know But i want to know..

Also where you in the (still are)navy on a ship called the blue ridge?

Blueridge1 I was refering to the one way bearing that allows the roto start or pull start to engage the crank shaft and spin the engine to start it. Also make sure that you follow the break in instructions as well. If your box doesn't have the red x on the bottom then you'll need to pull the engine first and loctite the back plate and roto start screws before you ever start it.

OK thanks. First thing I did was check the box and I did have a red x. I just got mine started the first time a few minutes ago. It is doing the first part of the break in now (elevated, wheels turning slow).

All in all, things are going well so far. I had my rotostart charged and ready. BTW it seems to have plenty of torque for starting even a new "tight" motor. The only time it bogged is when I flooded the engine, (understandable), or when I accidentally held it at a slight angle (not straight) while starting. I think those two issues are what causes the most problems. It seems pretty easy to get a small angle on the rotostart engagement with such a long rod, even when you are being careful.

Also, I did have a button sticking problem too. I can do a little trimming and fix that right up.

I'll take the above issues any day over pullstarting!

For $45 dollars you would think they could fix a button:rolleyes:

UPDATE

Savage 25 is doing great - wish I could say the same for the rotostart. I stripped a gear in the drivetrain section of the handheld unit. Wow, same problem that I read about before I even tried the rotostart (the one that had me start this thread - I must have jinxed myself!).

Anyway, I was "nice" to it - nice and straight engagements, no forcing to start when flooded, etc, - and it still failed. Hello Makita - she's NEVER let me down - heck this is child's play for her (low torque setting, of course).

I think I will continue to use my Makita - something I know I can throw off a rooftop and it would still work - kindof like my truck - should make a good combination.

I have a roto-start on my T-Maxx .21 conversion and the thing didnt strip the gears in the starter itself, it stripped the pin way inside the engine so I had to tear it all apart and replace it. The thing drains batteries so quickly tooo its just crazy. Also I am having starting problems with my .21bb. Could you guys tell me if these setting are right or not.
HSN 3 1/2 turns
MSN 3 1/4 turns
LSN 3 1/2 turns

-Will

during break in my roto start melted in my hand. i was using it in 5 to 8 second shots and melted the battery wires and battery casing.
I returned it and i am presently happy with the pull start.

My rotostart hasn't broken yet, at least for the first 3 tanks. I used my drill to start it once when my roto batteries died. If I break the rotostart, I think I will just stick with the drill. Are the one way bearings on the handheld or on the truck? Also, can I order a pull start? It would be nice to have as a back up. At least I don't think the Savage 25 comes with it.

HPI has stood behind their warranty. They are sending me an entire new gearset - no questions asked.

Even though the drill part of the rotostart may be of questionable quality, I'm really encouraged to see that HPI has decent customer service.

The first time I started my Savage25 right out of the box the one way seeded and the clutch got burnt up because the rotostart was spinning the engine even though it was flooded, wow did that suck. So I took the piece of poop rotostart off and put on a pull start and a new one way and the thing fired up on the 2nd pull. Thats whats bad about the rotostart....if you engine is flooded it will still turn and strip your bearings and cause damage to the trani...but the pull start locks up when the engine is flooded, kind of like a safety measure so you dont tear shiznit upl. my .02