Recommedned KV rating?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Newb86

RCTalk Racer
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Just wondering what others think about the KV rating for a Rustler VXL what is recommended or standered. I am looking for speeds around 40-50mph (with gearing). I will be useing it for bashing mainly in sand and clay. Just looking for something thats going to stay cool and last a while I'm going to run 5000mah 2s 30-40c and maybe once in a while a 3s lipo. Just still searching for the right KV was going to get the cc sidewinder 5700kv but from doing some searching people have said you really need to watch your temps with this set up and kv should i go lower or higher kv to keep temps down?

50mph is pretty frickin fast. 3S and 5700 is probably your best bet to reach that. Can you rig up a couple/few motor fans on the can?

I run the 5700 castle creations on my slash and yesterday someone told me to check the temp to make sure I am not overheating anything and after a really ruff run cause I wanted to see how warm it go it was at 100 degrees. and I get 40-50 gotto get that atleast...... I am looking for more myself.. but as far as always overheating I havent had that problem and I beat on that thing just as much as my maxx's and it loves it ( or atleast hasnt showed me it didnt l.o.l)
But I was told that if I wanted more to try the lower number castle creations like the 2400 or 2200....... hope this helps even alittle bit.
I have only been using the 2s 5400mah lipo...

50mph on sand and clay is very unlikely, and to do it within temps is like riding a unicorn.... It aint going to happen.
The VXL at roughly 3500kv wont do 50mph on 2s unless it's geared to a inch of it's life on smooth tarmac, so you'd be looking at about 5000kv and it'll get hot.
3s will be your only hope and even then you'd have to go about 4600kv or a little less as Lessen said.

I know i wont it those speeds on sand/dirt but do do some street driving........My brother in-law has the velineon 3500kv in his Rustler running a 2s 25c lipo geard strictly for speed at 40/76 and tops out at 48-52mph on blacktop with temps kinda high around 145-160

someone told me as long as it doesn't hit over 175 you should be good... I hope this is correct because I dont know any better when it comes to electric..

150 and below is best according to some of my friends that are serious brushless racers.

that is good to know thanks!!!!!! I dont need to be frying motors aswell as breaking parts...

Well ordered the CC sidewinder 5700kv be probably about a week till i have the rustler up and running

you will definetly see the power change in that little thing.. I am going to try my castle creation 5700 on the rusty and the bandit and the emaxx, just to see what happens

Yeah there will be a huge power change I'm getting sick of pushing it around......hasnt had a motor in it since i bought it.....lol;)~

its been more of a paper weight for the last month can't wait to get it moving

that is very true!!!! if you dont have one then you will probly def. want to pick one up..

Yeah i plan on getting one on my next order thinking of going with one of the integy wheelie bars

Dude! Integy is a 4-letter word! Just about any other mfr is better than them. Heck, you could make a better quality part by folding beer cans.

Got it all put together and running. Got the CC Sidewinder 5700kv gensacearespammers 5000mah 40c 2s lipo with 90/23 gears it hits 48 mph temps on the ESC are around 145-150 motor is around 130-145 dont think I'm going to any lower gearing. I couldnt wait for the wheelie bar or body i had to run it so need less to say i have barely any body mount posts left and i only flipped it backwards once but i guess sliding down the street for about 50 yards isnt all that good for them....will have some pics up after the body is painted and my new rims come in

Back