New track for the spring/summer? And other plans

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DavidB1126

Team Bomb Pop
Supporter
Excellence Award
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
  3. Crawling
  4. Scale Builder
I knew about this track for a while, but this spring I want to make it up there. It is a backyard dirt track which is 45 minutes north of me. He has a offroad and a oval track.
In April he has a 2wd Showdown race for all 2wd cars. So if I can go, I will be bringing the slash and rustler for that.
In May he has a 4wd showdown race for all 4wd cars and 8th scale. So if I can go, I will be bringing the buggy.
His track uses a trackmate scoring system so I got to get trackmate transponders, which are infrared transponders, so I would most likely have to mount them in the windshield of the cars, or cut a hole in the body. But what I like, is that these transponders are cheap. 40 bucks for 1. What I use now is Mylaps, which is 100 bucks just for 1. Gonna get 2 trackmate ones for each car.
I don't know about pit situation. Ill bring my own table and chairs if needed, and a extension cord. He will already have a few tables and tents set up.
10 dollars per car to race. Insanely cheap. Most places these days, charge 20 to 25 bucks, but thats mostly indoor tracks.

This would be my first time actually racing on a dirt track besides a baseball diamond. Pretty excited. The slash and rustler should preform a lot better as they are meant for these dirt tracks rather than clay and carpet.

The only thing I gotta get is new batteries and tires/wheels. Not sure if I want to get actual dirt tires for both cars, or get the basher tires I was going to get so I can use them both at that dirt track and for offroad (grass) bashing. The tires I was looking at was Proline badlands for the slash and trenchers for the rustler.

He also has a dash 4 cash race which is in late April, any people with any car can race on the oval track, all at the same time. Last one standing or one to win gets cash. I don't plan to go to that tho. Maybe I will, not sure. And he also has more scheduled races through out summer and into the fall.

Hopefully one of my buddies can be up there the same day/s, and maybe I can take his 8th scale buggy out for a spin. Always like trying out something new.

But for both cars, in need of basher offroad tires, dirt track tires, new batteries (2s Lipos) and some other stuff, and transponder/s.
For the buggy, in need of some replacement parts which are front hub axle crush tube, and a front cva pin retainer.
Other things on my list such as a RPM front bumper for the rustler. Wheelie bar for the rustler. Antenna tubes, tire glue, receiver box.

Might try to get my uncle to come up with me and ill let him race the rustler.

Mini B on that track would be a big no no. That would be staying as a home basement track basher. Might be looking into a cheaper mini car to have a second one? 👀

Some pics of the track:
FB_IMG_1706455057961.jpg

FB_IMG_1706455033475.jpg

FB_IMG_1706455030904.jpg

Seems to me the driver's stand should be where that second pic was taken from. Nice track.

I’d get some proper dirt tires over basher tires. At a minimum S1 compound traxxas tires but some kind of JCon’s or Aka’s or something. Find out what some of them run. If it’s the track I’m thinking it is I bet @hood52 might have some input. I think he’s run there before.

I’d get some proper dirt tires over basher tires. At a minimum S1 compound traxxas tires but some kind of JCon’s or Aka’s or something. Find out what some of them run. If it’s the track I’m thinking it is I bet @hood52 might have some input. I think he’s run there before.
This is Bryan Davies
Dash 4 Cash
Port Deposit

Looks like a looser type of dirt track. Not like packed like Pit stop. ? I don't know too much about dirt. But dirt does look fun. What tires you run at pitstop?
Ideally looking for tires for
- 2WD Stadium
- 2WD Short Course
- 4WD Buggy

Most likely tires between all classes should be the same / in the general concept

Looking at the jconcepts tire compound chart. Looking like I would need something in a yellow or blue compound?

Tire Compound Key-Updated_Jan23-v3-min.jpg

Last edited:
This is Bryan Davies
Dash 4 Cash
Port Deposit

Looks like a looser type of dirt track. Not like packed like Pit stop. ? I don't know too much about dirt. But dirt does look fun. What tires you run at pitstop?
- 2WD Stadium
- 2WD Short Course
- 4WD Buggy

Most likely tires between all classes should be the same / in the general concept
I mostly run JCon sprinters. Blues when it’s hotter and greens when it’s cooler. Sometimes I put proline blockades on the wheeler when it’s damp. Like after they spray it down or after dark when the moisture starts coming up to the surface. I’ve run raw speed super soft radars on the wheeler with good results when a good groove starts to form late in the day.

I don’t know yet for stadium truck but I have a set of green sprinters and black compound ellipses to start the season. If I get a set of carvers for it I’ll probably pair them with the green sprinters and see how that goes.

I don't have the money for multiple sets of tires. I am a one set tire guy and run it until it wears down.
I already have too many sets of tires. for clay, carpet, street, offroad. None for dirt yet. 🤣 😅

For Proline tires from the selector tool
Short Course:
Durability: Blockade
Performance: 70-90 degrees - Hole Shot M3 70 or below - Hole Shot M4

Truck: Hole Shot T M3 (discontinued)

Buggy: 70-90 degrees - Hole shot M3 F+R 70 or below - Hole Shot M3 Front and Positron Rear

Highly doubt it will get above 90 degrees on race day, but you never know.

Also during the summer, (forgot to put in the main post)
For the Mini B, I am wanting to race at the mini dirt track in Denton.

Last edited:
I get it. I’d say get green sprinter’s to start then. They seem to work best the most. When the bald up you can use em for pavement tires.

Edit to add: Like I said, I’ve never run there so use your own judgment. If it’s really loose you might want something that has the pins a little more spread out. Like blockades with the soft inserts that they come with.

Something I just thought of. Maybe the stock rustler tires for the truck? Rears are old school pin dirt tire like. Fronts are ribbed. I could use rears on the front.
Same for the slash? But stock slash tires are really not that good... 🤷‍♂️

In my experience (which is about a year of messing with these things) the traxxas tires are bricks 🧱. The S1 compound is better but still super hard compared to even the medium compound race tires. I was running the Traxxas Khumo tires on my slash first time out and got blue sprinters for the second race and the difference in handling was obvious. I think it would be totally worth your money to put together a set of something truly race grade for tires. If for nothing else, for the B74. You have a few months to squirrel away some money before outdoor season really gets underway. 😉

In my experience (which is about a year of messing with these things) the traxxas tires are bricks 🧱. The S1 compound is better but still super hard compared to even the medium compound race tires. I was running the Traxxas Khumo tires on my slash first time out and got blue sprinters for the second race and the difference in handling was obvious. I think it would be totally worth your money to put together a set of something truly race grade for tires. If for nothing else, for the B74. You have a few months to squirrel away some money before outdoor season really gets underway. 😉
Yea thats what I am thinking
Also, I could use the same tires for bashing at the baseball diamond down the road.
He holds races once a month at this track.
Might also use them at the other track. Which is private. But more for 8th scale. 10th scale won't last that long on that track.
I been also considering about getting a couple of tubs, and some acetone. so I can reuse some wheels so I don't have to buy a new set every time. And so I can reuse wheels easily, I'm only gonna glue some spots onto the wheel, not around the whole bead. If that make sense.

Here are some videos I gathered from the track in port deposit
https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PL4JqBmjlXfR43J4gDW42wp-xOemQzFeXI&si=kvhZR1lVZje3nPXy

This is Bryan Davies
Dash 4 Cash
Port Deposit

- 2WD Stadium
- 2WD Short Course
- 4WD Buggy

Looking at the jconcepts tire compound chart. Looking like I would need something in a yellow or blue compound?

View attachment 180220
Softer is always better. Blues are as hard as I would go. The greens are fantastic but when it gets hot out they wear really fast. When it’s still in the low 70’s they’re good up into the 89’s you’ll probably want blues on the rear.

Softer is always better. Blues are as hard as I would go. The greens are fantastic but when it gets hot out they wear really fast. When it’s still in the low 70’s they’re good up into the 89’s you’ll probably want blues on the rear.
Ill wait more closer to march and see how the weather is gonna be. before I order tires :thumbs-up:

Averages of last year were around mid 60s and high 50s. In April
In May, thats when the tires should start hooking up.
Uhh. Any suspension and diff setup recommendations I should be aware of?
Like I said, all new to this dirt racing thing. Looks fun. And will be a huge learning curve.

_______________________ PLANS:
Tracks:
The Factory for some carpet action sometime between now and mid march
Beach RC late March
Bryan Davies Early April
The Track in Gaithersburg sometime in between that
Bryan Davies mid May
And idk after that, Looking to get to that mini dirt track over the Bay Bridge sometime.
997 RC for some summer carpet action (being a hour + drive away, and racing Tuesday nights, highly doubt I can make it there)

Last edited:
Everyone says that ball diffs are where it’s at for dirt. I have one for the T6.4 but I have no clue how it should be setup.I just did it like the manual said. Haven’t even run it yet I got the gear diff for carpet.

I’ve been running 30k in the front of the B74 10k in the rear and 100 in the center. I may go a little looser this year. 35w front shocks and 30 rear but that’s subjective to how you like it and what the track conditions call far.

The 4wd slash never really handled well no matter what I did. That’s been retired to basher duty. I’m thinking about the Tekno 4wd sct or the ET410.2 mini truggy as a replacement. I have all the electrics. I just need a chassis kit.

The track is loose but fun. I ran green sprinters on my 4wd buggy. Went back and forth with green sprinters and double dee’s on my sct. I would stick with a soft compound tire if you’re just getting one set.
You can get transponders for about $20, I think I got this one from eBay

Attachments

• IMG_0747.png
    IMG_0747.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 18
Sweet. Ill get 2 so me and my dad can run at the same time
2 for 40 bucks instead of 2 for 80 bucks directly from them

Getting a pair of 3s batteries to try out between the slash and rustler. Most likely the slash as it has the 272R transmission. I will try in the rustler but I don't want to strip any gears. I already have a spare diff so I should be ok for the time being.

Rustler:
Getting a new RPM front bumper and traxxas wheelie bar
Traxxas talon wheels/tires from the Rusty 4x4, as it is 20 percent off

Slash:
Getting a cheap set of wheels/tires on amazon for 30 bucks. Gonna try them out. Offroad grass / dirt type for offroad bashing. As I want to do more of that. Street is getting kinda boring as I been doing it for so long
To spice it up, getting RPM mudflaps as I already have the RPM bumper and wanting some cosmetic upgrades rather than performance for the time being

Mini B, if you look at my build thread, you see I broke it today. Getting a hackfab carbon fiber tower, I will put ca glue around the edge to protect it. Also getting replacement turnbuckles

Buggy:
Axle crush tubes and cva pin retainer

Haven't bought anything RC related since November, I cannot believe that so it gonna be a big order. Next order would be next month for dirt tires. gonna try to use acetone so I can reuse wheels. Cause buying new wheels for each set of tire is too much. Gonna use the wheels I have my carpet tires on as I ain't doing anything carpet related for a while. Most likely not until next winter.

Sound like lots of wrenching in your future! :thumbs-up:

Once I finish assembling my SCT410-2.0, I'm going to add a set of aluminum axle carriers/steering blocks to my Stash, mostly for bling. :happy:

Back