Radio suggestions

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrClean

Hardcore RCTalk User
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Since I got the Revo RTR, I'm already tired of the stock radio and thinking of upgrading it. I see a lot of talk about the DX3R, but that's a bit out of my price range right now. Is there a decent alternative or should I wait and save my $$ for a DX3R? I'm not much of a racer, but I'll be going to my local track to start running around during 'practice' times just for fun. Thanks in advance for your opinions!!

The DX3R is a 3 channel radio. Not sure you need a 3 channel unless you are using DIG or something like that. If yu want to save money, then I'd get a Spektrum DX2.0 DSM 2 Channel Radio system. They are only $169.99 plus shipping from Amain and come with both a Z270 Standard Race Servo and a Z590 Hi-Torque Race Servo. Not the best servo's, but at least you would have backups to get you by if needed.

The DX3R is a 3 channel radio. Not sure you need a 3 channel unless you are using DIG or something like that. If yu want to save money, then I'd get a Spektrum DX2.0 DSM 2 Channel Radio system. They are only $169.99 plus shipping from Amain and come with both a Z270 Standard Race Servo and a Z590 Hi-Torque Race Servo. Not the best servo's, but at least you would have backups to get you by if needed.

Thanks Griemar, I think you're right the DX3R is probably more than I need. I do like the features on the DX2 and the price is more in line with what I can get the wife to buy off on...... Did anyone else hear a whip? LOL

Futaba 3PM with FASST.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXPZT7&P=ML

$179 plus shipping after the $20 off coupon code.

The DX2.0 and 3.0 have numerous reports of range issues and un-binding of the receiver from the transmitter for no apparent reason.

The DX3R uses a better technology than the DX2.0 and 3.0.

At any rate, I really like the Futaba FASST system and own both the 3PM and the 3PKS with FASST module.

I didn't see the coupon? Has anyone tried the mx-3? There is a very good price on these.

I've had the mx3 and was very happy with it. i had the fm version and not the crystalless versions. the only reason i got rid of it was because i picked up the nomadio for super cheep.

Well, I'd go for at least the spektrum DX3.0 and if you want to have a radio you won't need to upgrade for a very long time, the DX3R.

The DX2 is only a 2 model memory. The DX3.0 is 4 model. This becomes very important when you have a few rigs laying around. As time goes on, you will more than likely end up with more vehicles and being limited to 2 would just stink.

I have the DX3.0. Bought it on ebay a few weeks back for $160 shipped with 2 receivers. Used. Works great! Range is unbelievable and glitches are a thing of the past. I lost site of my aftershock before I lost signal... I don't know how far it will go, but 300 yards is about as far as I can see clearly...

I don't know the prices that you've found, but if you need, I Can get you a DX3R for about $270. I know they were $329 at a lot of places.

I have the Futaba 3PK and just bought a Spektrum DX3R because it's the only radio that was available that would do the one particular function that I needed. I feel like I've stepped down by going from the Futaba 3PK to the DX3R. I just don't like it as much. For one thing, there's no backlight, which is a huge disadvantage IMO. It might be more user friendly for newbs, but I thought the 3PK was very easy to use and I liked the menu system better, the buttons better, the feel of the radio, etc... I'm already planning to sell the DX3R to get the 4PK IF the 4PK has the certain switch command that I need for my crawler. It's hard to step down from a Bently to a Hyundai, no matter how much the Hyundai costs.

Last edited:
Back