Radio Choice

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chrisfjr83

RCTalk Rookie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
What brand and stlye of pistol grip radio would you use for a tmaxx this is a tmaxx that i am going to be building from ground up and i was wanting a really good radio setup with servos i have heard something about wireless servos or something if so i would like to use those i may of just miss understood someone at my hobby shop talking about that i a not even sure so if anyone could help me out that would be great

thanks chris

I've never heard of wireless servos but there are coreless types. Here's the difference explained between coreless motor and 3-5 pole (conventional motor). Taken from rcca's site.

Two types of motor are used to drive servos: multi-pole and coreless. Multi-pole motors are similar to traditional electric motors; they have three or five armature poles that act as miniature electromagnets. Five-pole motors are more accurate than three-pole ones, but both types have a property that coreless motors don’t have: when the armature is in a position that brings two poles within the field of one of the motor’s permanent magnets, it has less torque because the two poles “share” the magnetic field. This isn’t as much of a problem with an armature that spins constantly (such as your 24-degree stocker), but a servo motor might have to hold a position for a few seconds under load.

Coreless motors don’t have an armature in the same sense; instead, a lightweight woven basket of wire with a permanent magnet in the middle acts as the armature. This armature basket moves much faster than an iron-core armature, especially when changing direction. Such motors are also much more efficient than poled motors, but they generate more heat, and they’re more sensitive to shock.

For a radio, what is your budget? Let us know and we can help you find one to fit your needs.

best way to decide is to go to your LHS and hold each one for at least 5 mins......you want to see how it's balanced...is it too heavy after 5 mins....some people don't realize that 3 lb toy controller can feel like 50 after holding it for 30 mins driving or so.....what features do you want/need? (you'll have to read some manufacturer's sites for details on teh radio features).....you looking for DSM?....and finally the almighty dollar question......

yes price will be a big factor, how much do you want to spend on radio & servo's?

will you be running alone or racing / bashing with others? ...if your going to be alone & dont have a lot to spend two poplar choices are the futaba 3pm (witch i curently own) http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXGAG2**&P=ML

& the airtronics mx3 http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXCHA8**&P=ML
if your going to be around other rc's oyu may want to go with this
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXGPZ4&P=7
its Synthesized so you dont need crystals & can change chanels if you need to

then if you can spend more theres spektrom dsm radios the best technology now ...but cost $250 - $500 ++

& if you have the money it would be best not to use the servos that come in any radio package for steering they will most likely not have a high torqe output ..best to buy that seperate ..again for a budgit can't beat the hitec 645
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXUZ89&P=ML

but it comes down to how much do you want to spend on radio & servo's total?

Last edited:
money is not that much of a problem seeing how i have already spent 7000 on one truck (which this price was all materials at a discount) and am getting ready to build another truck to play with i would proably not want to spend more than 350 on a radio and i would perfer to have a very good radio with very little if no interference from other things or people that are going to be racing with me

i see that no one has said anything about jr radios are they not that great of radios or what i know what servo more than likely that i am going to be using for the steering proablly the same on that i have on my truck know which i spent 150 and that was a discount price so if any one could give me some more help that would be great

oh by the way the truck that i am going to be building this time from right know will be almost a stock t-maxx it will have some hop ups but to to many i am planning on doing some hard core racing with it not just total bashing and not breaking a leg of a person if i were to hit them like my other one will do will i am proablly going to start pulling with this spring after i spend a little mote money on it to bulk up the drive train and tranny a little bit more

chrisfjr83 said:
money is not that much of a problem seeing how i have already spent 7000 on one truck (which this price was all materials at a discount)

did you make a mistake & add a 0 there? ...if you have put $7000 into one truck at discounted prices no less. i would be interested in seeing a list of whats on it
I'm not calling you a liar...but that total seems unbeliveable (btw what kind of truck is this)

id say go with dsm in the radio that feels most comfortable to you

well actuall i have rebuilt the truck three times know i had the stock and did a few hopups to then i broke it then i went all aluminum bad idea so know i have taken it and built it to where i can take it and throw it at a brick wall and it will not break so that is where i get the $7000 from yes i know that it is stupid but i am also an idot when it comes to my TMAXX aka CYBER MAXX so if any one could help me out on a radio to put with this beast that would be helpful and remebere i am wanting to spend no more than $350 on this radio and in the next couple of days i will get some pics and post on here of my truck

i am getting ready to rebuild the truck and change a few things on it because i am going to start using it as a pulling truck this spring in the competions that are starting in late spring

ZANDOR said:
For 350$ go for the 3PK you can't go wrong..I have one and love it..Lots of options to it..
And when you get ready you can upgrade it to the DSM system...

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXCML5**&P=ML

I have also heard that the 3pk is real good stuff!!! I race with many that use the 3pk and swear by it. I had one in my hands yesterday at the HS, felt real good but the price kept me from it.The money manager was with me,or I would have went with that one

If you have the chance, pick up a 3PK. I just got mine today. Look around because there are alot of good deals. I got mine for $289 from my LHS. Came with tx pack, drop down wheel, servos and is the PCM model. What's good about it is that it can be upgraded to a DSM and memory can be expanded to 20 models instead of the 10 that's standard with it. With the newer Spektrum modules, the HRS system is now available for the 3PK from Horizon hobbies. Faster servo response!

I had the choice of getting the Helios EX-10 but decided to just stick with the 3PK since my brother already has the Helios. We're known for quickly grabbing radios in the pits and we mistakingly grabbed each others radios when we both had the JR XS3. Should've seen our faces when we started the warmup for the qualifiyers at the track.

Last edited:
Last edited:
Yes, it's the megatech version. It's still Futaba but runs on 40 Mhz. I believe it's black. Good thing about the megatech version is that it takes the same DSM module and then it's legal to use here in the states.

ohh good info, bet you may be able to get them (megatech) cheaper & if your going dsm anyway its all good...**checks ebay for megatech 3pk** :)

i have jr racing XS3 pro i think it is awsome althought i need to find another receiver for my t-maxx (one that came with it is in my G4) so i can use it aswell my stock t-maxx controller just kicked the bucket.

which one are you using, the RS300 or RS310? The 300's were known to be prone to just stopping because of vibration.

probably the older one i got the car 3 years ago it is a .15 engine