New Radio! RadioLink RC8X

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DavidB1126

Team Bomb Pop
Supporter
Excellence Award
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
  3. Crawling
  4. Scale Builder
New Radio! Got it for amazon prime day. Got it for 255 instead of base 320. Came pretty quick. Just took a day to come.

Now with unboxing, it comes with a pretty nice carrying case/bag. This is more like a soft bag rather than a hard case like most other people use for their radios, not to mention, they have to buy the case and inserts separately. Comes with:

Manual
Lanyard
Telemetry cable (XT60s and JST)
USB A to USB C for updating soft ware
Extra trigger and 2 allen keys
2s 7.4 1700 lipo with JST plug
R8FG receiver
R4FGM receiver

Packaging is nice.

This radio is pretty amazing for the price.
I really like the feel. I had also adjusted the trigger and wheel tensions to my liking with a 1.5mm hex driver
Already came with a lipo which is nice. I just had to plug it in. Came on storage charge which is normal. Now I just need 4mm bullet to a JST charge lead to charge which a friend is going to solder/make one up for me which is nice. It also comes with a battery board so you can use 8 AAAs instead of a lipo.

For the lipo, it is pretty small and it moves around so I cut and folded up a blue shop towel so the battery stays in place and the radio is even. The radio also does feel lighter than my older RC4GS V3. With my old radio, I will be keeping it for my dad and for the bashers. This new RC8X I have paired up with the B74 and Mini B for racing.
The lanyard it came with is a bit short so I used my own since it is longer and I can use it at my waist which I like more than using it near my chest.

The interface of the radio is awesome. Super easy to use (as a tech savvy teen). You can adjust everything.
200 Model Memory (like I would need that, lol)
4.3in color and touch screen

So far I am really liking it. I had just got it in before lunch and all set up today. Will be testing it out on Saturday for racing, if not, next Thursday. I will also do a review video on my YT channel sometime soon.

With the screen and LEDs to save battery life, I have both on a dim mode after 3/4 seconds after inactivity. I can also use PS1 button to turn off the screen completely. Haven't gone through the manual yet (as I'm pretty sure I know what I'm doing, lol) but I will read through it tomorrow.

Last week at the track for test n tune, I felt around with different radios and cars. I had felt a Futaba 10PX and a FlySky NB4. Both and all are great radios. The 10PX did have some grip tape around the handle which I liked. I am going to see if the owner of that radio has some more tape that I can use. But by using that tape and wrapping it around the handle grip, I would give up 2 buttons that I can use, but no problem as I really don't need / use them.

Will give a review and video in a couple days/week so stay tuned for that!

The radio also came with a screen protector so that is nice. Don't mind my job as I suck at putting screen protectors on. Lol.

PXL_20230713_200837109.jpg

PXL_20230713_200813621.jpg

PXL_20230713_200828650.jpg

PXL_20230713_201801562.jpg

PXL_20230713_201821127.jpg

PXL_20230713_201827898.jpg

PXL_20230713_201841078.jpg

PXL_20230713_201902116.MP.jpg

PXL_20230713_201929347.MP.jpg

PXL_20230713_201933480.MP.jpg

PXL_20230713_201955703.jpg

PXL_20230713_202114161.jpg

PXL_20230713_202143536.jpg

Also, it does come with a Micro SD card to save screenshots, firmware updates, and more. It is mostly used for FPV / FPV Drones.
When setting up the radio with the cars. I had not powered the 8 channel receiver on yet. But I had put the 4 channel in my Mini B which is way better as it is mini and smaller antenna. When I powered it all on, it bound it self up. Now with my B74 with using the R6FG receiver, I had to click the small button until the LED flashed green fast, and it bound within 2 seconds so binding procedure is no issue for me.

Last edited:
How does it feel in the hands compared to the v3? Higher quality?

How does it feel in the hands compared to the v3? Higher quality?
I love it. Deff higher quality. The grip is really nice compared to the v3. Also not to mention the 4GS is outdated as it has an external antenna, and the software is a bit outdated. But it is still usable and functional in 2023. I just got the RC8X for the feel, more settings and more user friendly.

With the feel, like I said before, I am going to try out some grip tape stuff around the grip and see how I like it.

how does the screen fare in direct sunlight?
Haven't tested it yet but will this weekend with going out for a bash. Currently have the screen brightness on like 55% and have a dim setting to 20% after 3 seconds of inactivity. For outside, might put in the 8 AAAs and put it at 100% just to see.

Review video coming out tomorrow afternoon!
Cool, I got one of these RC8X radios myself on the Primeday sale on Amazon for $255 and i love it so far even though i haven't fully tested yet. But i installed my R8FG V2.1 in my XO-1 since it fit in the receiver box which i wasn't expecting it to fit. I also ordered 2 other receivers with the radio a R6FG V5 and a R7FG V1.4 haven't installed them into any vehicles yet but i do plan to buy more receivers soon for my other cars except for my B74.1 i'll keep that one on my 4PM V1.
20230714_181148.jpg

New Radio! Got it for amazon prime day. Got it for 255 instead of base 320. Came pretty quick. Just took a day to come.

Now with unboxing, it comes with a pretty nice carrying case/bag. This is more like a soft bag rather than a hard case like most other people use for their radios, not to mention, they have to buy the case and inserts separately. Comes with:

Manual
Lanyard
Telemetry cable (XT60s and JST)
USB A to USB C for updating soft ware
Extra trigger and 2 allen keys
2s 7.4 1700 lipo with JST plug
R8FG receiver
R4FGM receiver

Packaging is nice.

This radio is pretty amazing for the price.
I really like the feel. I had also adjusted the trigger and wheel tensions to my liking with a 1.5mm hex driver
Already came with a lipo which is nice. I just had to plug it in. Came on storage charge which is normal. Now I just need 4mm bullet to a JST charge lead to charge which a friend is going to solder/make one up for me which is nice. It also comes with a battery board so you can use 8 AAAs instead of a lipo.

For the lipo, it is pretty small and it moves around so I cut and folded up a blue shop towel so the battery stays in place and the radio is even. The radio also does feel lighter than my older RC4GS V3. With my old radio, I will be keeping it for my dad and for the bashers. This new RC8X I have paired up with the B74 and Mini B for racing.
The lanyard it came with is a bit short so I used my own since it is longer and I can use it at my waist which I like more than using it near my chest.

The interface of the radio is awesome. Super easy to use (as a tech savvy teen). You can adjust everything.
200 Model Memory (like I would need that, lol)
4.3in color and touch screen

So far I am really liking it. I had just got it in before lunch and all set up today. Will be testing it out on Saturday for racing, if not, next Thursday. I will also do a review video on my YT channel sometime soon.

With the screen and LEDs to save battery life, I have both on a dim mode after 3/4 seconds after inactivity. I can also use PS1 button to turn off the screen completely. Haven't gone through the manual yet (as I'm pretty sure I know what I'm doing, lol) but I will read through it tomorrow.

Last week at the track for test n tune, I felt around with different radios and cars. I had felt a Futaba 10PX and a FlySky NB4. Both and all are great radios. The 10PX did have some grip tape around the handle which I liked. I am going to see if the owner of that radio has some more tape that I can use. But by using that tape and wrapping it around the handle grip, I would give up 2 buttons that I can use, but no problem as I really don't need / use them.

Will give a review and video in a couple days/week so stay tuned for that!

The radio also came with a screen protector so that is nice. Don't mind my job as I suck at putting screen protectors on. Lol.

View attachment 168715

View attachment 168716

View attachment 168717

View attachment 168718

View attachment 168719

View attachment 168720

View attachment 168721

View attachment 168722

View attachment 168723

View attachment 168724
View attachment 168725

View attachment 168726

View attachment 168727

Also, it does come with a Micro SD card to save screenshots, firmware updates, and more. It is mostly used for FPV / FPV Drones.
When setting up the radio with the cars. I had not powered the 8 channel receiver on yet. But I had put the 4 channel in my Mini B which is way better as it is mini and smaller antenna. When I powered it all on, it bound it self up. Now with my B74 with using the R6FG receiver, I had to click the small button until the LED flashed green fast, and it bound within 2 seconds so binding procedure is no issue for me.
That’s her alright…I love mine. I also paid 250 for a discount from a sales rep for radiolink on facebook that saw me promoting all their stuff lolol…awesome amazing radio, voice control is annoying atm but I’ll find a use for it , can’t wait to get my FPV going on something..think my vendetta will be the test subject since it can beat a lot of cars on road today that we drive haha

Don't get it, pure money hole.
Tried to downgrade the firmware because I found out its a firmware issue, got this, tried re upgrading to thecurrent firmware and samething. Radiolink support is non existent now, there facebook page is not managed correctly as it has lots of spam posts, looks like the brand is going down hill. Well, off to futaba.
Really want to sell my radiolink stuff for about 400 bucks for all of it, but not sure if anyone would want it because, yea.
20231204_181517.jpg
rl issue.PNG

Well that sucks. Was kinda looking at that one.

I'm sorry to hear about that. It sucks getting stuck like that. I had to learn the same lesson about Chinesium products too and now I mostly stay away from them. If I do buy something Chinesium, I do so with zero expectations from the product and the manufacturer.

so the reason I tried downgrading is that the newer firmware (1.1.6 and above) have issues with cutting out. I had this issue with both 1.1.8 and 1.2.0. Tried downgrading to 1.1.5 and I broke my radio, kind of. I was in a button test. All I had to do is press and hold finish and it went back to normal. Tried downgrading and I was still on the current firmware 1.2.0. I shortly read someone was able to downgrade on the FB group successfully. Gonna try what he did. But for now on until Radiolink fixes it, ill just be using my old 4GS until they fix it, or if they don't and I get a new radio by then. And I only had issues with my wheeler with the 8ch FHSS V2 (dual antenna receiver) never had any issues with any other car which had the 4ch and 6ch single antenna receivers. Tested and tested for hours on hand the other week, the only conclusion I can come up is it is something internally or the firmware.

Update: A few guys did videos in the FB group on how to downgrade. Gonna downgrade to 1.1.5 and hopefully it is successful. If so I should not have any more issues.

Update:
Successfully downgraded to 1.1.5
Resetting my models, settings, and receiver binding

Have to do all of that because inorder to downgrade, you have to wipe (format) the internal drive, and external drive (which is the external SD card)

Hopefully no more issues. This is the last known update to not have cutting out and freezing problems / issues (failsafe not working)

Will post an update if problems resolve next time I'm at the track.

well, thats why i stick to the good old traxxas TQ. wont win any races, but i dropped a 5 pound rock on it and it survived.
I seen alot of people race with traxxas radios. Its just called something called spec slash. Looks fun, but not fun at the same time. Idk. The thing with traxxas radios, range is terrible, and there are 0 adjustments, and only 1 model. And the feel of it, isn't that good. Overpriced radio imo. But its sort of reliable.

Back