Quick question.

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2revo1maxx

Hardcore RCTalk User
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
I'm going to get me a truggy this year, probably an 8ight-t 2.0. I read somewhere in here that they are direct drive. Does this mean no clutch? No stopping with the engine on?

Not sure what that means... other than it's single speed without a trans. The only other one I know that has something "weird" is a thunder tiger rig that has a mini dogbone on the bell vs teeth and a spur.

Ok I get that they are single speed, but the thread I saw said direct drive, which in a literal sense would mean no clutch. I have to assume that they would at least be able stop with the engine running.

A Truggy has the the width and length and tire size of a Monster Truck, but the chassis design of a buggy. The biggest difference between the Monster Truck and a Truggy is, on a Truggy there is nothing below the chassis. It's a flat bottom, just like a buggy. Monster Trucks, like your Revo, have drive line and such that hang down below the chassis. They don't fly and handle like Truggies and Buggies do. They're also, single speed, and direct drive. Hope that helps.

Here it is olds.

Well, the only weird thing I see is that the rear diff ring gear is inverted.
Parts Explosion RTR
Parts Explosion Race Roller

Otherwise, center spur, cvd's in the center (not dog bones), cvd's on all 4 corners, 4 shoe clutch on the engine, clutch bell with teeth... Pretty typical truggy. Looks pretty well built. Little bushings on the hing pins, not sure how normal that is. The captured king pins looks a bit different... Huh, first glance makes it seem pretty typical, but zooming in on the parts explosion says otherwise.

Must be that guy meant single speed by "direct drive". I knew it must have a clutch. Thanx man.

Direct Drive means it's got a direct connection from the pinion/clutchbell to main spur gear.. No multi-geared, engineered transmission.. If ya notice some of the Traxxas trucks (and 1/5 Baja types) as well as others, have a bunch of idler gears and what not, in the transmission, to alter the gear ratio's..

Back