Questions about modding a Spektrum Dx5c.

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BarnFabRC

RCTalk Talkaholic
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Racing
I’m thinking about doing this range extender mod to my DX5C controller. The way everything is laid out in the video makes perfect sense. What I’m wondering is can I just power the whole radio off of the new battery pack? It seems redundant to have the four AA’s and the lipo pack taped to the side.

He’s using this gensacearespammers 2S lipo pack to power the range extender. Is that extra 1.4vdc 2.4vdc going to hurt the transmitter in any way? I don’t feel like it will be a problem but maybe I’m missing something.

Last edited:
where are you getting only a 1.4v increase I get a 2.4volt increase. a fully charged 2 cell is 8.4(close at least coming off my chargers) not7.4 if you thrust that vid it might survive.

where are you getting only a 1.4v increase I get a 2.4volt increase. a fully charged 2 cell is 8.4(close at least coming off my chargers) not7.4 if you thrust that vid it might survive.
It says in the listing for the battery that it's 7.4. I don't have it in hand to measure with a volt meter so I can't confirm or deny what the listing says.

right I dont know of any fully charged 2 cell lipos that only charge to 7.4 so I'm telling you its 2.4 not the 1.4

Ok fine, then lets edit the question to say "Is that extra 2.4vdc going to hurt the transmitter in any way?" Or, Will using the 2s lipo hurt the transmitter in any way?

It's hard to say if it will handle it or not without trying it. Most electronics can handle a little more voltage than they are intended for, but it's never a sure thing. You could grab a small adjustable voltage regulator and install somewhere inside the transmitter. I am sure there is room for one in there somewhere.

5Pack LM2596 LM2596S DC-DC Step Down Variable Volt Regulator Input 3.0-40V Output 1.5-35V Adjustable Buck Converter https://a.co/d/3wkvz1J

It's hard to say if it will handle it or not without trying it. Most electronics can handle a little more voltage than they are intended for, but it's never a sure thing. You could grab a small adjustable voltage regulator and install somewhere inside the transmitter. I am sure there is room for one in there somewhere.

5Pack LM2596 LM2596S DC-DC Step Down Variable Volt Regulator Input 3.0-40V Output 1.5-35V Adjustable Buck Converter https://a.co/d/3wkvz1J
That's funny I just came up with that same one while searching around with the voltage regulator idea in mind. I also just saw a video with a guy installing an actually bigger mAh battery in a DX5c and everything worked fine with the exception of the battery meter on the display is not capable of adjusting the range to suit the 2s voltage. It does accurately show the voltage but the "battery bar" would always show full even at the point it was time to charge. I think I'm going to start with converting to the lipo battery and see if the extra voltage gives me any more range by itself. If not, then I'll pull the trigger on the range extender and wire that in. And your right, it seems like there is more than enough room to hide some "extras" inside the transmitter case.

So someone put a 2s LiPo in one with no problems? I kinda figured it would handle it, but wiring in a voltage regulator would be safer, and easy to do. You never know how long the electronics in the radio will handle that extra voltage, but they will surely wear out sooner.

or a Zener diode about 2$ max at my local electronics shop just pick my wattage amount

So someone put a 2s LiPo in one with no problems? I kinda figured it would handle it, but wiring in a voltage regulator would be safer, and easy to do. You never know how long the electronics in the radio will handle that extra voltage, but they will surely wear out sooner.
Yea he said he’d been running it like that for 6 months I think with no issues. I’ll look again later to see if there was any follow up video. This is the video I watched.

Click the “insert link” button. Paste your link in the URL spot. Type what you want in the text spot. Then click “Insert”
IMG_1953.jpeg