question

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bassman

RCTalk Member
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
I,m going to buy my son who is 5 a RC. I'm thinking a rustler elec. for his first truck. Do you guys think that is a good choice? Cheap and parts are easy to come buy around here.

I would say the brushed version would not be a bad idea....good choice. The newers ones like the XL-5 also have training mode that cuts power to about 50% for young drivers like him too.

Sounds good thanks alot.

Yep, Rustler is a good truck for a young one. I purchased an HPI Wheely King for my son for his 3rd birthday. With countless full throttle dashes into the fence, trees, swingset and deck he has not broken one part on it yet. I did replace the ESC because it was giving me issues but that's no fault of his driving. Wheely King is a great choice as well.

Thanks Lessen

I got my son a Stampede when he was 3, it will cover more terrain than a rustler due to it's ride height. He used it until he was 8 and stepped up to a T-Maxx, now it has been handed down to my 4 year old. They are great little trucks too, may be another one you might want to look at.

I agree with the wheelie king....... between what me, chip, and FLM_savage did to ours, these things are beasts.....

Rusty, Pede or the Slash are great first time rigs that can take a beating.

Id say skip the rustler and get a slash.. my slash takes any and everything i throw at it.. i have broken only 1 part on my slash and that is it.. i have no problem with handing the controller over to anyone that ask to drive it.. i think because the rustler has open wheels, it is more prone to break where as the body of the slash tkaes all the abuse when something is hit.

if you are looking to buy a rustler i am selling mine. (i bought a 2nd slash instead..lol)

When I first read this thread for some reason I was thinking Stampede when was reading Rustler. The Stampede is definitly a better starter truck for a child, that or the WK. I'm a fan of the WK for a child because of the low top speed. It's not impressively fast so it gives a child a better opportunity to figure out how to drive it.

Thanks for all the input guys. This will make things alot easier for me.

i vote stampede if your going to run in any grass, also on any xl-5 esc you have the half power option, i use it sometimes, lol

+1 on the Stampede if you are running in the grass (which is a burden on any electric). If I was buying my son his first rig I would have to go with the Slash. It is almost un-breakable.

+1 on the Stampede if you are running in the grass (which is a burden on any electric). If I was buying my son his first rig I would have to go with the Slash. It is almost un-breakable.
and only a hundred dollars more and thats a bargain for what you get lol, I'm going to get me one, i think they look cool and i hear its the only traxxas tougher than a stampede. i have a t-maxx 3.3 4908 and a xl-5 hopped up stampede and a nitro stampede and my faviorite is the electric stampede:)

Back