question about the picco outlaw!

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheShagler

RCTalk Racer
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
I was in a local hobby town and I was asking about after market engines for the savage. I asked the workers that were there what they thought about the picco outlaw .26 ( I thought that they would have nothing but good things to say but i was wrong) all of the workers that I talked to said that they had limited knowledge about the engine but what they did know about it they said all they have hurd about the outlaw is that its a bad engine that has a very short life time, and that when placed in the savage you will have nothing but problems. I ask all people that have used or have knowledge about this engine to confirm or deny these claims, please. I have been reading these forums for a long time and have always seen good things when people were talking about the outlaw, so when they shot the engine down I was shocked. So every one that has seen this engine in action talk about it. Is the outlaw a sub-par engine?

Sub par, no. I run the Outlaw 26 in my Savage, and it does real well. Granted, I have done the spider mod on the diffs and run HD CVDs all the way round, and have the RRP metal spur, but the engine is good. The only problem that I have had with mine was the fact that NIB it came with the wrong low speed needle. Mine came with the silver one that has the wrong taper on it. It died at half throttle. Idled all day, ran WOT fine, but at half it died. There is a black needle that supposedly leans out the midrange and make it run fine at all throttle settings. I have heard of guys running the silver needle with great results, but that may be due to the area where they run. The Picco Outlaw 26 isn't the absolute top of the dog pile as far as engines, but it packs alot of power for the buck.

If you LHS has one in stock, check to see what needle is in the LSN slot. There are alot of reasons those guys might have dogged the Picco, but I bet it wasn't because it was a bad engine. The Wasp 26 is the same engine, ask them about what they think of that one.

Best of luck in choosing, do alot of reading and make up your own mind.

Originally posted by TheShagler
I was in a local hobby town

Just reread the post and this is why they said that.

Error thanks for the quick reply.

See the reason that I was so bummed to hear bad comments was because I have just got the engine.

As far as the LSN goes its the silver one. what does that mean? when i was breaking in engine in I was having problems with it cutting of when arownd mid trottle. I thought that it had to do with the fact that I was breaking it in. Maybe it doesn't, what did you do about the LSN and should I do the same thing?

If you have any tips on breaking the engine in I would like to hear them I've read your posts before and you seem to know what your talking about.

you like the rpm spur gear. I have the same one, is the gear ratio good when using the picco?

just reread your post, hobby town people dont know what their talking about...... Noo

shagler, i know exactly what you're talking about. i went to my local hobby shop (the closest to me anyway), and they had the same thing to say. try to get parts for a picco 26 outlaw, and they say picco what? it seems that if it's not os, that it's crap around my area.

i have both needles, the silver and the black, and the black does seem to do better. after i changed the tank to the new era model tank, it seemed to be the trick. not quite sure if it was the needle or the tank, but now i have no problem at all w/any kind of leaning. i'm still sticking w/the black needle, i haven't changed to the silver to see if the tank was the whole problem.

Thanks.

Supposedly the black LSN can be ordered from somewhere, wish I could tell ya where, but I did something a tad more radical to fix mine. I'd do a search here with the key words being "black needle picco and outlaw". --edit-- did the search myself here's a few links:
This is what happened to me, https://www.rcnitrotalk.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=7004&highlight=black+needle+picco

Here's the important link in that thread to the black/silver needle problem:
http://pub77.ezboard.com/fofnaracin...essageRange?topicID=46.topic&start=21&stop=40

The place to get the black needle: www.nitrohouse.com
Go here: http://www.nitrohouse.com/picco_26_parts_list.htm and look for a part number 51425. It's a $7 part.

If you look at the LSN, it'll either be shiny silver or matte black on the end (all over if you pull it out). The silver one had (I believe) a shorter taper than the black one. What this does is make the mid range real rich, so much so that it kills the engine when it's around 50% throttle. The black one has a longer taper. therefore more needle is still in the venturi at 50% throttle and thus leans the midrange out (more than the silver one) and the engine runs right.

What I did was frankenstein my carb. I took the barrel from my old 21BB carb, extended the idle stop screw channel and used that. It fits perfect, but dremel tooling the channel was kind of a pain. The upside of this approach is that it was free, the downside was that it was a pain in the ass to do. I wouldn't try the first approach that I did in the first link above, the 21BB carb wouldn't stay seated properly.

If you try the Frankencarb approach, I can help out, but remember, it'll make the slider useless in the 21BB crankcase once you modify it like I did. So if the engine still has life in it, I'd just order the needle from nitrohouse.

Originally posted by imnotsure
i haven't changed to the silver to see if the tank was the whole problem.

Don't, it's the wrong one for the outlaw. It's not leaning, it's flooding at half throttle with the silver needle.

Originally posted by TheShagler
If you have any tips on breaking the engine in I would like to hear them.

you like the rpm spur gear. I have the same one, is the gear ratio good when using the picco?

Loosen the glow plug a bit if it's hard to pull start. Mine was pretty tight when it was new. Take your time breaking it in. Burn good fuel, and once it's broken in change up to a cold plug. I run Duratrax Gold racing plugs and have been pleased. Hobby Town should stock them.

The RRP metal spur simple rocks. So far I have had no problems with it, and have not encountered any RF interference running that spur (though I am running a 75Mhz FM radio and not the stock one).

The 52 tooth spur and a 16t clutch bell have done me right on that engine. The top end speed is pretty fast, yet it still has alot of low end punch. It's too much for the 21BB, but the 26 makes out fine. I'd like to try the 47t spur sometime just to see what it would do.

Last edited:
I think I got lucky.

I bought the Picco Outlaw several months ago. After I ordered my new engine, I was reading Error's posts about his initial problems with this new engine and its needles and was very relieved to find that mine had the black needle.

It's possible that you have an engine that could have been sitting for awhile before being sold.

Make no mistake. The Outlaw is a performer.

thank you guys

I'm going into hobby town to slap that guy next chance I get.

I too have been hearing negative feedback concerning the picco from LHS. They said that the picco was almost impossible to tune, they went further by suggesting I purchase XTM's 24.7? or something like that. I believe it is the same engine that is in XTM's Mammoth..

They Stated that the XTM's smaller engine was built better than the standard engine that came with the savage which is a 25 and claims it will out perform stock and picco? Please let me know I am seriously considering upgrading and like Shagler seem to be getting mixed information.

Thanks,
C.

The only real gripe I have with the .26 is the dam one way bearing! I'm on the second one with only a gallon thur it. It Still starts but slips now and then. Next time I might replace the shaft the bearing goes on. Good luck man.

Pee Wee

You are not the first to bring up the issue. A mixed bag of results from the original Picco 26 owners. I have had no problem with the one that I have run. 30% nitro may be the answer to your problem.

Does running 30% nitro have any negative effects compared to 20%? not only for the picco but for any engine?

C.

Originally posted by cowboynv
Does running 30% nitro have any negative effects compared to 20%? not only for the picco but for any engine?

C.
It will have possitive effects. You do not have to 'lean it out' as much to get the power and it will run cooler.

Originally posted by pee wee
The only real gripe I have with the .26 is the dam one way bearing! I'm on the second one with only a gallon thur it. It Still starts but slips now and then. Next time I might replace the shaft the bearing goes on. Good luck man.

Pee Wee

Mine has started doing that some, I just cuss at it and it eventually cooperates.

That sound great on the running cooler. I live in Las Vegas and have questioned how the temp. is going to be this summer. If you have already broke in an engine on 20% can you switch to 30%?

Thanks,
C.

Yes you can switch nitro content from 20 to 30%. You can run this engine with or without shimming the head. If you do add a shim, you will want to consider adding the 1/10th mm shim.

Pee Wee
You could try to get your fingers in some of the new oneway they are allot stronger, and if it’s them you are cracking you are to hard on you engine

https://www.rcnitrotalk.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=10570

as for the black ore sliver LSN I think we can be discussing it for ever, I have also switch to the black but one of my friends still run his two with the silver, and all engine runs great! But the thing we have found out is that with the black LSN the engine is very easy to tune, but also that it is possible to tune it with the silver, it’s a lot harder because just an adjustment on 5-10 grade can ruin the setup were the black one isn’t that sensitive, but it seams like the engines with silver has a slightly better fuel economy

Last edited:
Back