1. Ask questions. Share your knowledge. Register TODAY!

2. GIVEAWAY: COWRC FLATMAT AND PARTS TRAY, ENTER NOW!!

Power Supply

Discussion in 'Electric RC Talk' started by LarryA, Jun 29, 2003.

1. LarryA

LarryA RCNT Talkaholic

Hopefully someone knows how this stuff works electricaly and can help out. I have a computer power supply and a power supply that runs my electric cooler. Both are 12V DC output. I would like to know if either or both of these can be used to power my Peak Chargers from house current. I'm not into this electrical thing so I don't want to try it without knowing. How can I tell if they will be any good for this use? Having to use a battery to charge batteries is kind of defeating the purpose. I've been using a deep cycle 12V battery confiscated from my camper but would rather not keep using this and I don't like having this battery sitting around in the house (I don't have the luxary of having a garadge or special work area for my R/C stuff). A little background, the charging is mainly for transmitter/receiver/and several 1500 mAH battery packs.
    Thanks

2. robriguez

robriguez Hardcore RCNT User

Although you may have a 200-400Watt power supply for your computer...the amperage required to run a charger is almost non existant.

3. LarryA

LarryA RCNT Talkaholic

Yeah, but that still doesn't tell me if either of these supply will work. I suppose there is one way to find out?

4. El Pirata

El Pirata RCNT VIP

You'll probably end up frying your charger. You can pick up an AC adaptor at Radio Shack for like $70 however Tower has an AC/DC peak charger for like $30. It's the one I personbally have and while not having frills it does the job I need it to do.

5. LarryA

LarryA RCNT Talkaholic

Last night I tried the AC adapter I have for a Coleman 12 volt cooler. It worked pretty good and I saw no indication of problems. I don't think I'm going to make a habit of using the adapter though. I need that for my cooler and don't want anything happening to it for the sake of R/C battery charging.
    Thanks.

6. CNSelf

CNSelf RC Newbie

LarryA - did you ever try the computer power supply? I've got a spare 250w here out of a computer I just overhauled - 12vdc/8a... wondering if it could do the same thing.

7. mattyk6

mattyk6 RCNT Champion

Yes, you can convert a PC Power Supply to power a 12 volt charger and other accessories. You can even have a 3.3v and a 5v lead as well. But, you have to mod the power supply.

http://www.magicookie.com/prodigy/psupply.htm

8. mcvickj

mcvickj Hardcore RCNT User

Go to ebay and do a search for cosel. There is a seller by the name of ramboy who sells these 12V 13amp power supplies for like $20 bucks. All you need to do is cut one end off a computer power supply cord and wire it in. Very simple to do. I have been very happy with mine.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted