WLToys 144001 Cutting-Off battery

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exitium

RCTalk Member
Reaction score
Hello. I have a wltoys 144001 for over a year now and I don't know if it's stock ESC is broken or... I've been using the battery pack that came along with it (2s 1500mAh LiPo) but when I use my other 2s LiPo (Turnigy 2200mAh), it keeps cutting off the fully charged battery. I ran it freely/full speed off the ground and it's working fine but when I put it on the ground, it runs for like 5~10 seconds and the battery gets cut-off. I also made a 2s 18650 3400mAh and the same thing happens. I used a multimeter and checked the voltages showing over 8 volts. I used the said batteries on my modified wltoys a959 and it's working fine. Anybody have any ideas?

Something is overheating. Do you have an infrared temp gun? Make sure the motor and ESC is staying below 160°F or so.

Something is overheating. Do you have an infrared temp gun? Make sure the motor and ESC is staying below 160°F or so.
That's the problem because it cuts off the battery immediately even on 1st run. Then I change back to the battery it came along with and it works fine until its drained.

Pics of the barteries?
Left : Turnigy 2s LiPo 2200mAh 30c
Right : Battery that came with it.

Stock battery is fine. From fully charged to cut off = 0 issues. Just the other one. I also tried using my friends 2s 18500 and it also gets cut off.

420289834_1823716254715717_7112475605685064927_n.jpg

Have you checked the internal resistance on the batteries?

unlikely ir is issue. the batteries are larger in C and mah than stock.

Have you checked the internal resistance on the batteries?
That I have to check...
unlikely ir is issue. the batteries are larger in C and mah than stock.
I did suspect that maybe it cuts it off because of the capacity. I used my friend's 18500 1500mAh Li-Ion and it does the same thing. I haven't tried using my 1,100mAh from my A959 though.

.it is having a over heating issue. and this is no larger dollar rc.its a TOY...suggesting the person buy new electronics is a poor choice . he can buy a NIB replacement and have the parts from old to replace broken stuff when he smashes it
On to listen to the Lions on radio..

.it is having a over heating issue. and this is no larger dollar rc.its a TOY...suggesting the person buy new electronics is a poor choice . he can buy a NIB replacement and have the parts from old to replace broken stuff when he smashes it
I didn't say he should. I said I would lol. I actually wouldn't do anything with it myself.

I could replace the parts... It's just why is it being picky with the batteries.

I didn't say he should. I said I would lol. I actually wouldn't do anything with it myself.
I actually did, moved and upgraded the servo, converted to 4500kv brushless, cut a hole in the roof for ESC and now I need to rebuild the diffs if I want it to go again :D

My conclusion: either drive it until it dies and replace it or buy something better, either the EBM1 (of which this is a copy) or something bigger AND better :)

My conclusion: either drive it until it dies and replace it or buy something better, either the EBM1 (of which this is a copy) or something bigger AND better :)
I can still. It's just being picky between my available batteries. I am stuck with budget meal RC's at the moment since those are the products I can afford and I'm planning to get the MJX 14210 next and focus on that.

I wanted to upgrade mine to brushless as well and the best part is there's free 3d printing files for its parts. But the MJX 14210 caught my eye.

maybe motor is going to need brushes soon. com could be all scared up causing to many amp with other batteries...or esc can't handle the other batteries...

maybe motor is going to need brushes soon. com could be all scared up causing to many amp with other batteries...or esc can't handle the other batteries...
I am currently waiting for the soldering iron / lead I ordered so I could change the wires (bigger) and connector of my 1100 mAh LiPo and see what happens. If that doesn't work then my ESC is probably slightly fried because it used to handle my 2200 mAh 30c just fine. Or it could be that my 30c LiPo fried my esc.

Nothing is wrong with your batteries, the stock esc is known for being a giant turd. I'm surprised it even still turns on. At the very least change out the esc/RX unit for an aftermarket one.

This is going to be your best budget option this esc https://www.amainhobbies.com/redcat...0JGSnOXAL3L4ozvGcPQlDAOpIfZj130BoCIiAQAvD_BwE and this radio https://a.co/d/13qCkzD

I have a Hobbywing 1040 esc that I will never use if you are in the US shoot me a message and it's yours if you want it.

I am currently waiting for the soldering iron / lead I ordered so I could change the wires (bigger) and connector of my 1100 mAh LiPo and see what happens. If that doesn't work then my ESC is probably slightly fried because it used to handle my 2200 mAh 30c just fine. Or it could be that my 30c LiPo fried my esc.

The battery can only fry the esc of it is too high voltage. Batteries do not push power into the esc the motor draws the needed power from the esc which in turn draws what it needs from the esc. There is no such thing as too high of a c rate only too low.

Last edited: