Phone nerds unite!

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slowngreen

Robmob is a Californian.
Staff member
Supporter
Excellence Award
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
  3. Crawling
I have a s8 that I've had for 4 years now and I'm wanting to get something at least as good but bigger. I'm looking at a Motorola One Ace. I'll link to the s8 and the Moto and let you guys take a peak at the specs. Also, the big part is I have to know for sure that it will work with Total Wireless. I see most CDMA phones do work and the one I was looking at said unlocked CDMA but I need anothers opinion.

s8 specs ........... Moto One Ace

I'm not sure about the total wireless bit but I'm a huge Galaxy S fan. I just bought my wife an open box S21+ for half price on eBay. can't even tell its ever been handled. Its an amazing phone plus its nice and big. The S21 Ultra is even bigger. I currently have the S10+ myself and its still working well so no need to upgrade it for a least a couple more years prolly but when I do it will definitely be with another Galaxy S phone. The last time I tried a phone that wasn't a Galaxy I took it back and returned it the very next day lol :)

I'm not a Motorola fan at all. Samsung S series are awesome, but you will pay a premium! It's the only iPhone competitor. I'm not an iPhone have either, but my entire family is.
I'm on my 3rd LG Stylo and I'm totally satisfy with it, especially the significantly lower retail price. Even better, is that the last 2, I've gotten as refurbished for less than $100. You wouldn't even know, it's not brand new! The Stylo is marketed as a affordable competitor to the Samsung Note. $300 vs $1000.
99% of my time on the internet is on this phone: surfing, YouTube, emails, paying bills, etc. Also, a very decent camera system. All my pics here are off this phone.

As to the specs of those two phones it looks like the Moto has a huge 6.7 inch screen and has an IPS screen which is better for displaying deep rich colors but the S8 has a higher resolution and is made from gorilla glass 5. Id say the moto probably has the overall better screen just make sure you put a tempered glass screen protector on it.

The battery is much bigger on the Moto which is a plus but overall performance wise the Moto is a decent upgrade to the S8 but the performance of the Moto is only about half as much as you would get compared to upgrading to an S10+ and an S20 or S21 is a fairly decent performance upgrade compared to an S10+. Heres some benchmark numbers for you to compare.

S8 - 5114
Moto - 6948
S10+ - 8757
S21 - 10,400

Hope this helps.

I was also looking at the OnePlus 9 and LG v60. My previous phone was a LG and I loved it. I do really dig the Samsung's reliability, I've never had any trouble at all with my s8.

I've got the Moto Z4 battery life is good, camera is good, and you can get attachments for the back for either an additional battery, a 5g connection, fancier camera, etc. Honestly I pretty much use my phone for phone calls, texts and the camera. I use my tablet or pc for surfing.

I sit in a pickup from the end if may until the beginning of August for 8-12 hours a day with literally nothing to do so I watch alot of videos and do some gaming.

@grecian you find the benchmark for a lg v60 thing?

I was also looking at the OnePlus 9 and LG v60. My previous phone was a LG and I loved it. I do really dig the Samsung's reliability, I've never had any trouble at all with my s8.
Here the benchmarks for the additional models you mentioned. A lot better than the Moto

S8 - 5114
Moto - 6948
S10+ - 8757
S21 - 10,400

OnePlus 9 - 11,395
LG v60 - 10,292

Interestingly the OnePlus 8 5G benchmarks at 12,004 and the OnePlus 9 benchmarks higher than the OnePlus 9 Pro 🤷‍♂️

Hmmmmm. The LG v60 can be had for under $400. Thats a huge price difference over a s20 or s21. It also has a headphone jack!

My first smart phone was an lg. I dropped it, tossed it, punched it etc. Very durable phone, not as durable as concrete the 3rd or 4th time around, but I put it through hell.

I had an s5, and on my 4th year on my s7 edge. It seems durable also, with a great screen. I treat my s7 like gold, 2 or 3 drops in its life time.

My first smart phone was an lg. I dropped it, tossed it, punched it etc. Very durable phone, not as durable as concrete the 3rd or 4th time around, but I put it through hell.

I had an s5, and on my 4th year on my s7 edge. It seems durable also, with a great screen. I treat my s7 like gold, 2 or 3 drops in its life time.
I had an S7 Edge before my current S10+ and I had an S5 before that. My wife has had an S5, S8+, and now she has the S21+. Every one of them have been wonderful phones that have held up. My wife cracked the corner of her screen on the S8+ but thats just because she dropped it and it hit the corner of a concrete step. Pretty sure any phone would have broke given those circumstances. I tried an HTC One M8 and I hated it. Thats the one that I took back the next day. Needless to say, Samsung has its hooks in us lol

What I dislike about the Motorola is that the touch screen isn't as responsive as the Samsung nor the LG. One of the reason the Samsung is the top choice on the Droid platform is it's smoothness and responsiveness. Of course, their camera, for stills and videos, is also phenomenal!
I'm just not selling to shell out, any where near a grand, for a cell phone.

Thought I'd update....after watching a bunch of reviews I ended up ordering a Oneplus 9.

I've heard good things about the oneplus phones. I've definitely thought about converting over. But I'm a huge fan of the note series phones.

If I could ever check one out in person, it might sway me from Samsung. But I'm pretty happy with my note20 ultra.

Let us know how you like it!