Pesky little o-rings!

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1500valk

RCTalk Addict
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
Well, I had my new savage out a couple weeks ago, still trying to break it in. I found the high speed needle was near impossible to turn, so I removed it, seeing if maybe some gunk was in there. Turns out the o-ring was split and binding between the plastic holder and the needle seat. I called HPI over 10 days ago, and they said they would ship a new o-ring set out. Well, nothing yet, so went to the LHS and got an OS high speed needle o-ring, and installed it. Well, installed would be an understatement. I fought with this thing for nearly 15 minutes, trying to be gentle. It's finally where it needs to be. I lubed it slightly with some silicon diff grease and screwed it back into the carb. Works smooth as silk, now! So, if your high speed needle seems a bit tight, check that o-ring!

ok, got it running just now, and it started to move a bit, so I put on the brakes and it continued to roll. I turned it over as it seemed that the brake piston might have fallen out. Nope, the brake cam shaft is broken. I was able to pull it right out of the side of the transmission. The very end of it is broken off. This is from a truck that has seen no offroad yet, and doesn't have a single scratch on it. The engine barely has 1 tank through it and not broken in yet. Well, I am not calling HPI as their turnaround time stinks, so it's back to the LHS for this $4 part.

Last edited:
sounds like you got the one built on a friday after the big factory party with free booze.

engine O-rings are fairly common to have to replace as you found out it dosen't take much to tear em.

as for the brake cam thats just weird I still have my Savage 21 and have never ever had an issue with that part even after what 5 or 6 years of almost constantly running it on the weekends.

musta been a bum part. oh well, will order a new one and that will be that.