Parks definition of motor vehicle help

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KeepOnKeepnOn

RCTalk Member
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Crawling
Meaning stated by park.

Motor Vehicle means every device in, upon or by which any person or
property is or may be transported or drawn upon a roadway, except devices
moved by human power.

So can I tell them to kick rocks or not?

LOL sure go 4 it.
I know in my state I can't run my RC in state parks and some city parks.
just check in with park main office and ask.

Defiantly gonnna go reguardless. But I like to know where I stand is all! I just seem to attract all the Chads and Karens. I'm respectful and use common sense. Go when there just a single person out. But I'll be damn! They'll walk a quarter mile to get up in my buiness. Hell the other day had one "Sidewalk Nazi" tell me we could not ride our bikes on the Sidewalk. Told me to ride in the busy street with no shoulder with my son. Lil man's 5 still uses training wheeles. If ever I wanted to snatch a fool up lately it was then. Had my son though. Which was a good thing!

As long as you don't ride your RC car around the park you won't be violating that definition. Especially if you stay off the roadways. Heck, if you stay in the grass, you could drive a 1:1 monster truck through the park.

I've heard of Karen's but not Chad's! That's awesome. The parks around here don't seem to care as long as you're not bothering anyone. I know some people have had problems while running boats at certain places but I haven't had problems yet. I try not to bother anyone with the boat as it's loud and damn fast..except those aggressive winged rat birds from Canada. If it's an electric I can't see that bothering anyone, nitro whine gets attention. Good luck.

Meaning stated by park.

Motor Vehicle means every device in, upon or by which any person or
property is or may be transported or drawn upon a roadway, except devices
moved by human power.

So can I tell them to kick rocks or not?
Hmm That's unfortunate.

Nearly all the parks and public forest areas I go to have no motorized vehicle rule. No hikers have ever made any indications of being perturbed much less said anything to me. They typically give a chuckle at my toys(....and/or me), and seem to have zero issue with me and my silly toy. Even when I'm down near Boston where there are no shortages of Karens.

Last edited:
I've only done a run test at the soccer park a couple blocks from me but
dumpsters like to step out in front of me.
Sand dunes or motorcycle park for me.

Hmm That's unfortunate.

Nearly all the parks and public forest areas I go to have no motorized vehicle rule. No hikers have ever made any indications of being perturbed much less said anything to me. They typically give a chuckle at my toys(....and/or me), and seem to have zero issue with me and my silly toy. Even when I'm down near Boston where there are shortages of Karens.
Don't you mean "No shortage of Karen's "?

I will say I have more positive interactions then negative by far. As a whole everyones respectful and loves I'm out having a blast with my son. Always try to introduce them to the hobby if there interested. . 2 and under I offer to use my small crawler, 2-5 get 1/16 hyer go, 6-adult get the gorgon. Funny how small childrens first reaction is to pet the RC.

Last edited:
Better to ask for forgiveness than permission with RC cars in parks, nobody will want to be liable if you hurt someone so their safest response is to say no.

As to whether you get fined, even if there are park rules against what you're doing, just use common sense. Generally most skate parks will prohibit RC cars, if the park is empty then chances are you won't be harassed, but if it's crowded and you're driving dangerously close and/or being a nuisance, then expect to be fined and kicked off the property.

My dad used to be a park ranger in SoCal and skateboards were the biggest infraction that he had to enforce. Most kids simply carried their boards when asked and nothing came of it, but there were some kids who ignored him and were combative, those were the one's who were fined and in some cases were arrested!

Be courteous and use common sense and things will go fine, do stupid things... win stupid prizes!

If your car is tearing up the turf and causing any damage, then expect to be responsible to pay for repairs if you get caught!

I've had this issue come up in the past and had to go to court over it. Same rules you stated above were in place at a local park. One grumpy cop said my rc fell under the 'motor vehicle' classification. The judge threw it out as it is not a vehicle. I play at public parks all over the place and the overwhelming majority of my interactions have been positive.

I've had this issue come up in the past and had to go to court over it. Same rules you stated above were in place at a local park. One grumpy cop said my rc fell under the 'motor vehicle' classification. The judge threw it out as it is not a vehicle. I play at public parks all over the place and the overwhelming majority of my interactions have been positive.
Cop probably didn't have any toys when he was a kid. At least that's what I would have asked him.

The same cop told me I had to leave the skate park cause the same rules applied there. As he was harassing me a kid blew past us on an e-scooter. He didn't seem to have a problem with that. I'm guessing he got picked on a lot in H.S.

One of the park employees found out about the 'incident' with the cop, gave me a gate access card to the city storage lot in the back of the park, where they store giant piles of ground up asphalt. Great for jumping. One of my favorite places to play.

I'm not sure how it works everywhere else, but in my state, park officials have no authority. All they can do is call law enforcement. I've met my share of those guys with sticks in their arse, and equally as many that were good people. It's a crap shoot. That's why I try to avoid the general public.

I'm not sure how it works everywhere else, but in my state, park officials have no authority. All they can do is call law enforcement. I've met my share of those guys with sticks in their arse, and equally as many that were good people. It's a crap shoot. That's why I try to avoid the general public.
It varies a lot, sure fire way to know is if the official has a side-arm, then they are more than likely an actual peace officer.

My father was a retired LAPD Detective when switched careers to being a Park Ranger and he was authorized to carry a side-arm on duty, and carried pretty much the same responsibilities as peace officer with ability to write tickets and make arrests. The only time he would make arrests were typically young teens who were disrespectful and continued to violate the rules after being warned and became combative. Don't be one of those guys.... if you're on public land then any public official has the right to chase you off that land, even if they can arrest you I can assure you that's the last thing they want to do. Just be a decent human being and everything will work out fine.

Telling any park official to "shove it" is the worst thing to do without actually knowing the rules. It’s only going to cause issues. And can lead to you getting kicked out. Find out who oversees the park and ask them to define the rules. Each park could have thier own rules. Arguing on rules that you yourself don't know is a bit idiotic.

Just try running them (away from crowded areas) and most times you won't be bothered. If you're courteous then others will be too. Chances are you won't have any issues.

I'll never forget the time I first got into RC planes and built a glider to fly at the local park. I'd let my puppy run around off leash before there were "leash rules" while I flew my glider for hours on end. My eyes were fixed on the plane looking up in the sky but I would always call my dog over to me before a landing to ensure a safe landing zone. Needless to say there was an irresponsible parent who decided to let their toddler run across the field toward my plane as it was coming in for a landing. Not even a single word of caution was mentioned as my plane was effectively targeting a direct head shot into the child (as he continued to run into the plane) when the kid came into focus of my peripheral vision and I instantly jerked the elevator back, nearly missing the kid's forehead by inches! No doubt the plane would've killed the kid and the parent was clueless to the level of danger of what just happened. I was really shook up over it and never flew at that park ever again. I immediately joined the AMA and started flying at a sanctioned club with restricted space to never risk that experience again.

Not saying that RC cars are nearly as dangerous as planes, but somebody can get seriously hurt and this can be avoidable, I only race my cars at RC Car Clubs to avoid the following scenarios:

Back