Painter I stumbled upon

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ImBroken said:
So you spoke with Will recently? Interesting.....
Nah, it was a few months ago.

Ill get a link for the flames... 1 sec.

http://forums.radiocontrolzone.com/showthread.php?t=202096&highlight=flames

http://forums.radiocontrolzone.com/showthread.php?t=209864&highlight=flames

extremetmaxxer said:
I'm not sure on the exact colors ad uses but its a combination of candy yellow, opaque light yellow, candy orange with opaque yellow then candy red with and orange opaque backing it and then if you wanted to mabey some opaque red for the background, and you use the art tool free hand sheilds... thats what most people use, or if you can cut a fine circle, cut it out of scrap plastic plates or something that will resist the paitn and not fall apart.... i noticed that for the rc car bodys its hard to use the free hand sheilds there a little cumbersome inside the body.... you really can fly through this paint job on an rc car body... you need alot more planning and checking than doing it on a regular surface

actually what i would do is take a scrap peice of lexan and draw some random curves on it that are nice and roundy, then score it with and exacto knife and walla instant template, i actually used the wheel scrap peices to cut out the curves

Last edited:
I have a guy in australia (JACART RACING .Com)that sells my bodies and he does amazing paint jobs!!! I think when painters get to that point of well deserved recognitition it's not whos better it's a matter of individual taste. I too love flame jobs but some think they are tacky which proves they have no taste at all /JK /I wonder if I can get kicked out of here for bad humor but it is 3 in da morn

That link is for painting flames is on the outside. I have the "Craig Fraser Way" video of airbrushing realistic flames, and it is outside painting as well. The first thing I noticed is that the guy is very, very good with an airbrush using both hands to control it. He starts off with a standard "taped" flames, then free-hands in more, layers, and 3D's it. He also uses the stencils to add shadows to the curves. Pretty neat stuff, but for an r/c body application, you'd have to work backwards, meaning you'd have to do the highlights first.

I haven't tried it yet, but a couple questions I was wondering: 1) Can acrylics be used to spray the same fine lines? and 2) Do I really have the talent to free-hand the artwork? :shrug:

Do I smell a paint challenge coming on? :ahh:
The adrcracing flames are fantastic.

Last edited:
I'm totally down with paint challenge Silent. I thought it was a great idea the last time it was brought up but I guess nobody was feelin the inspiration piece. I think we should lay down some ground rules, make a timeframe of 2-3 weeks ( so some people can schedule time or situate money for a body or whatever, I know I can't just sit down for 4 hours to do a good body without scheduling some time away). Probably should decide what type of body to use, like 1/8 buggy, MT, 1/10 on-road or whatever. that way the palette is fair for everybody. We should award 1st through 3rd place or something like that depending on how many people get in.

Right on. The "challenge" would actually be information sharing, so we could all learn something about this difficult technique. We could prolly get more people in on it with an "open canvas" though.... trucks, buggies, on-road, monsters, a plate of glass <G>, anything. Who's in?

Am I understanding that you are suggesting a "True Fire" paintoff? I may be willing to try that. I don't have all my equipment at my new house just yet but should have it soon. I have an extra Revo Crowd Pleazer that I am thinking of shooting it onto to see if I can work it.

RCCarAction has paint competitions every month and I love them. But, could we do anything and not just real fire? I'm painting another body (cts-v) over the break, so i'd love to enter.

Id be in, but I'm painting the inside of a pop bottle..lol.. Chances are mine isnt gonna look to great..lol.. Wouldnt want to wreck a good body.. but yeah, count me in

Sounds like fun... I'd like to participate if I have some free time..

Back