OPTIDRIVE dont work?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adultswiivi

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
so i blew up my reverse gear because the sensor obveously didnt work.

i can't figure out why. any ideas??

i did replace the gear i chewed up and cleaned it out.

the servo deffinelty works when the truck is moving

please help!!

opti drive sucks, just ditch it and be careful when you switch to reverse

Ditch reverse and fit a forwards only kit. Much better. less hassle too.

Only problem is you can't have 2nd gear with that system.

Not true. a FOC only removes reverse gear, the 2speed setup is not affected.

I agree about ditching optidrive. What a pain in the behind that is.

I blew reverse in my Revo shortly after I got it. I put it in the FOC and center-diff and haven't looked back. The FOC in no way removes the 2-forward speed capability of the truck.

Hamz is, as always, correct in that the 2 speed system of the transmission will not be removed.

The FOC kit only removes the reverse gears and NOTHING ELSE, apart from no longer needed reverse servo, and opti-drive unit.

I went to pick an opti drive by traxxas and it said on package not to be used with 2nd gear?????

Last edited:
That's not correct information. All of the nitro Revos that I have seen are 2-speed. I would say again to ditch the Opti-drive and the reverse to beef up your drive-train.

I'll give it a try but even the guy at hobbie shop said it would not work with 2nd gear. It there any other companies that make it??? Maybe its just the traxxas.

The opti drive is useless weight and clutter. It's obvious what happens if you jam any vehicle in reverse while it's moving forward. Reverse on these things is nothing more than added rotating mass which leads to tranny problems also. If your dead set on keeping reverse, shift it only when the vehicle is stopped. The advice the fellow gave you at the hobby shop is a good reason to not listen to him about anything.

Reverse is overrated. I agree with the rest. FOC is the way to go. I'm pretty sure all my nitro rigs have the FOC in them.

It's amazing how much bad advice is given at hobby shops. I'd love to work at one and learn as much as possible. I think some guys just aren't interested.

I'm kind of lucky that I have a LHS with RC Techs that want to learn more and ask questions from people who are regulars and play with their toys about new ideas and things that they have tried.

Back