Only 33mph ???

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Racer 1966

What are we doing today?
Supporter
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
When I came home from work tonight the first thing I see is that the city put one of their mobile radar "your speed is" signs right in front of my house.

My first thought, I wonder if it will tell me how fast my Savage is? So let's find out.
I get the truck out, fire it up and run it around a bit to warm it up. I'm not sure where the target zone is so I drive it up almost a block away,turn around and head straight back at wot. I watch the sign.....bingo! 28mph, WHAT?!?! :\

Surely that's not right. I have 52/18 spur/cb gearing on it,stock diff gears and 2 speed trans and stock NS .25 engine. It's gotta top out more than that, right? So I make another run, kinda hard to do since it's after 5 and everyone is coming home from work. Not happy again, I make few more runs. Looks like 32-33mph is all I'm going to get.

I'm still not sure exactly where the target zone is or how accurate it will be on my little truck. But, IF they leave the sign out there for a while, I'm going to swap gears around and see if I can get more speed. I'm hoping for 40mph. We'll see! :)

i dont think they are very accurate i ride my motorcycle by one almost every day on the way to work and the sign is 5 mph slower than my bike says but when i go in my truck it is almost dead on so it might be smaller things who knows lol

I think that is about right. My Savage 25 only did 36MPH (police radar gun) before I put a three speed in it. With the three speed it put me up to 42 MPH. It would get up to 42 then slow back down to about 40.5 and stay there. I don't remeber how it was geared but probally stock at the time 15/49?

I think that is about right. My Savage 25 only did 36MPH (police radar gun) before I put a three speed in it. With the three speed it put me up to 42 MPH. It would get up to 42 then slow back down to about 40.5 and stay there. I don't remeber how it was geared but probally stock at the time 15/49?

If you got 36 with 15/49(that is stock) then I think I should top out a bit faster with 52/18. But then there's the accuracy thing.... I bet the police radar is more accurate.

BTW, I've got a 47 tooth spur I can put on with the 18 cb :D

Last edited:
You would get some mose speed out of it but your torque would drop WAY down. I am not sure what the gearing was for sure that was about 4 years ago so memory is a tad fuzzy. My Savage right now is geared with a 18/47 with the higher third gear installed and tall tires. I would like to know how fast is goes. I had a 19/47 but that gearing was just too high to be fun. All top end.

If you got 36 with 15/49(that is stock) then I think I should top out a bit faster with 52/18. But then there's the accuracy thing.... I bet the police radar is more accurate.

BTW, I've got a 47 tooth spur I can put on with the 18 cb :D

That's why I keep telling you guys the optimum gearing for a Savage is 16/47 to 17/47.
H.P. to weight ratio is the difference in you two guys speed differences. The engine simply cannot push the truck into it's upper RPMs with a 18 tooth CB.
Especially with a weak ass NS 25.
Not only is the gearing an issue but your 18 tooth CB and 52 T spur weigh more than say 16/47 for example. Rotatating weight is higher, therefore killing power to the wheels.

I'm wondering what kind of top speed i can get out of my savage XL 5.9?? right now i am running the 16cb /52 spur and i hav not clocked it yet have not had the chance i want to try 18cb with 49 spur, anyone clock there xl yet???

Savages are slow cars. Too heavy. The say that there the strongest cars, there just a brick with wheels attached.

Yes, they are a brick. Rock fricking solid. I will challenge any stock Revo to a stock Savage to a demolition derby and put my money on the Savage every time. Also yes, before you say it I do own a Revo, two of them actually and two Savages. However, my Savage has a higher top speed.

Right now I run the HPI 20T vented clutch bell and a 47T metal spur with my two speed (HD 2nd gear). My Picco .28 will still easily wheelie the truck onto the lid and my top speed seems to be very high. I never clocked it, it's faster than the suspension can handle.

drop that baby to the floor and then try suspension out, my XL is eventually going to be a more race savvy but for the moment i just lowered the stock suspension as low as she goes and is seems to handle way better, gets the power to the ground much more eficiently. i want to build a revo stomper out of my savage soo bad i keep telling myself its possible.

XL race status

this is the stock suspension at its lowest possible stance!!

Attachments

• baby girls playing 006.JPG
    baby girls playing 006.JPG
    23.1 KB · Views: 83
  • baby girls playing 004.JPG
    baby girls playing 004.JPG
    64.6 KB · Views: 96
They are crazy with the Savages here in Japan.....I have seen several that would hang with any Revo on a track then pass it up on the straights.

The trick to making a savage handle is sway bars and a good LCG extended chassis with the big bore shocks. You can easily get the truck down to 10.5 pounds and have it be rock solid. Check out Trey7's Savage on S/C, that is the fastest best handling Savage I know of, next to a LST with Adam Drake;s setup on it.