OFNA 9.5 or Hyper 7?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

agjell

RCTalk Basher
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
I'm a newb in the 1/8 class as well as the buggy world, and I'm currently considering to buy an OFNA. Originally I thought of the Ultra LX Pro or the Ultra MBX Pro, but I think I want something better. The last few days I've been trying to decide whether to buy the 9.5 or the Hyper 7, but its impossible :dumb: What's the big differences between these cars? What engine is better; the H.21 8p or the F.26? I need a car suitable for bashing, I don't race and I don't plan to either. I also want high speed and durability. Which of the cars is best suited for my needs?

I read a lot of places that the radio and servos that comes with regular RTR kits are poop, and that you at least should change the steering servo at once. I'll need a reliable but affordable servo, hopefully under $50, please make recommendations.
How about the throttle servo, does that also has to be changed?
I also read that the included starter in the OFNA kits wont even make your engine start. Is this true? If so: please recommend an affordable starter that works. What's the point of including a starter that wont start your engine anyways? :wtf:

From what I get from what you want, I'd suggest the 9.5 Violator. I've never ran this buggy, but a lot of people have told me that it's one hell of a basher. It's got a decent engine in it's pretty tough. It'd be more of a basher than the H7 probably. The 9.5V has the wider wheel base for better handling, and a larger fuel tank for longer run times.

The included starter box is weak, but after break in it works. It just isn't strong enough to break in a new engine. Use the pullstart to break in, after that use the box. After break in it cranks my engine over no problem. It also starts my buddy's Wasp .26 no problem.

I have had all three and let me tell you, if you are into high end hop ups, go with the Hyper 7 Pro.

I had the Ultra LX and it got ran over the first day i had it :shhh:. I hated this buggy for the first and only 5 hours it ran. It was not my type. I like the best and this was surley not that great.

I bought the 9.5 after my LX got ran over. The 9.5 is a sick buggy and i didn't run into many problems with it. It really took a beating!

I recently sold my 9.5 and bought the Hyper 7 because the Hyper 7 now offers a 2 SPEEEEEED (Sirio .27 with a 2 speed... imagine the speed)! I havent installed the 2 speed because i just spent 400 bux on fironi torsens but i am thinking about it. I upgraded everything with fironi and the original paul coleman racing parts (not the poopy stuff ofna is now producing). It has all carbon fiber, including the rock guards. I am thinking about getting the fironi chassis, but i heard it isn't that strong and shoudl be only used on strict race buggy.

If your not going to be racing then defedently go with the 9.5. It a sick buggy for a beginner and you shouldn't run into too many problems. The biggest regret i have is not buying the 9.5 Pro. As you can tell I'm into all of the hopups... cnc, pcr, etc... So the RTR was a waste of my money. If you get the RTR, the first thing i would do is replace the servos. High torque JR DZ8850 for steering and Z590 for throttle.

Its up to you but i say go with the 9.5!

Well here is my 2 cents to your question. I have the Ofna hyper 7 PBS, Zandor22 has the Ofna hyper 7 PCR, and itsmesag has the Ofna 9.5 violator. Here is the the damage report for the last few weeks.

Hyper PBS:
bent front shock mount (easy fix)
small crack in wing (still flys)
worn out tires (that was my fault)

Hyper PCR:
bent pivot ball (bad landing from about 12 feet in the air)
broken pull start handle (it just happened)
worn out tires (that was his fault)

9.5 Violator:
2 destroyed wings
broken wing mount
broken cva axle
broken tierod end
right and left front suspension arms broken (hard landings)
left side suspension arm broken again (bad landing)
6 or so one way bearings

all three of these buggies get bashed just as hard but the Hypers have the pivot ball suspension which seems to be a lot stronger and able to take the impact.
All three are very good buggys and you can't really go wrong with either one, if you bash you shall repair, that would be buggy law #1 (I think)

As for steering servo, zandor and I have this one
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/WTI0001P?&I=LXUZ88

this is a great starter box
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXCUC2&P=7

hope this helps

Thank you for all the replies! I must say I lean more towards the Hyper 7 after your damage report Ryhton, suspension is definetly important. I also have the impression that the H.21 8P engine is better than the F.26, is that correct?

Yes the .21 seems to be a stronger engine, mine and zandors just fly. Just to let ya know they are very tight motors and can be hard to breakin. I would say get the better starter box and take out the glow plug add a few drops of afer run oil in the cylinder and turn it over for about 30 to 50 sec and then repeat, this will help loosen things up and then try to start with plug a little loose that will help. once it is broken in you will love it.

Originally posted by agjell
Thank you for all the replies! I must say I lean more towards the Hyper 7 after your damage report Ryhton, suspension is definetly important. I also have the impression that the H.21 8P engine is better than the F.26, is that correct?
ok ill throw my 2 cents in here ofna pcr or the pbs is the way you should go
#2the hyp .21 mill is easy to tune and holdes a tune well.flat out screems.seems to like to run the best when its running in the high 270 to 280.....
#3the f.26 is a great mill all though very picky on the adjustments.and very fast out of the box..just don't get the roto start it is very hard on the owb....my pcr flying
4169P1010007.jpg

Last edited:
Cool, do you know what the top speed is on a stock Hyper 7 PBS?

Originally posted by agjell
Cool, do you know what the top speed is on a stock Hyper 7 PBS?
it some were between 40 and 45 mph.so fast very fast for what they are....and it gets there in like a half a second...

Seems fast enough for me :)

I'm 99% sure I'm buying a Hyper 7 PBS. Ace Hardware Hobbies sells it for $440, nearly $70 cheaper than TowerHobbies!

Do you all run 6V battery packs on the receiver and servos?

ya we sure do iam running the hpi 1200mah great upgrade..with the hitec 645 high tq servo for stearing.this is a must have.ace is a great place to do bizz with (ask for kevin)

don't have a radar gun but all reports put it in the 42 mph to 48 mph range. They do fly and yesterday when it ran away from me if the tree hadn't stopped it who nows. when we bash we don't get a lot of runs at full throttle. But here is a w.o.t pass, it is much better in person.
http://www.rcpics.net/img/27929

Originally posted by zandor22
...with the hitec 645 high tq servo for stearing...

Rython said you guys run the 625 servo, correct me if I'm wrong. Personally, after reading the specs, I think the 625 is a better compromise between speed and torque than the 645.

well I have the 625 and it turns out zandor has the 645 my mistake, they both work great.

And the stock throttle/brake servo works ok?

The pipe upgrade will have to wait. I'm buying the car and steering servo first. Battery pack and pipe etc will have to wait until I have more money to spend. Still have to pay rent and other bills :) I might make the battery pack myself, as I have 42 AA 2100mah NiMh batteries and pretty good electronics knowledge (as if I need it to make a battery pack... ;))

What kind of fuel do you use?

ya arn't bills abitch, we are running 20% byron its what the local hobby shop has. good luck with everything this is agreat hobby and there are a lot of great people here at rcnt that can help ya with questions and things.

Thank you very much for all the help! I believe 20% byron is exactly the fuel that OFNA recommends :)

I'll probably buy the car pretty soon, and its good to know I have someone to ask besides my local hobbyshops.

Back