nitro vs electric - can't decide!

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
amen amen :bowned: the eletric fun factor (in the nitro opinion) but there must be some eletric junkies here my friend has a friend who knows an uncle that plays with eletric cars lol and they are preety fun but its just like playing with a regular radio shack, tyco, car theres really no diff to the eletro cars now its just speed I think

Nitro just has the X-Factor that IMO will always be above electric. Hell any kid can go get an electric RC from any toy store in the country. Having a nitro RC is in a class all by itself, nothing that any Radio Shack or Toys R Us can ever touch.
What I am really waiting on is a micro nitro RC. When a 1/18 or 1/24 scale RC come outh with an equally scaled down nitro engine, damnit I'll be all over that like MJ on 10 year olds.

ya they got those eletro ones at my lhs and it would be easy to carry around! like ya lol .....

Originally posted by GilBeQuick
Nitro just has the X-Factor that IMO will always be above electric. Hell any kid can go get an electric RC from any toy store in the country. Having a nitro RC is in a class all by itself, nothing that any Radio Shack or Toys R Us can ever touch.
What I am really waiting on is a micro nitro RC. When a 1/18 or 1/24 scale RC come outh with an equally scaled down nitro engine, damnit I'll be all over that like MJ on 10 year olds.

WHen somone builds a Nitro powered Micro 4x4 truck I'll be on it like flies on chit. Could you imagine a MICRO Savage 4x4 with LSD's front and rear....SWEET. Micros are the ultimate testiment to the reverse male ego.....bigger isn't always better..hehe.

would be kinda hard to make a micro 4x4 truck although those 1/5 nitro cars are preety sweet

Originally posted by spyderpact
would be kinda hard to make a micro 4x4 truck although those 1/5 nitro cars are preety sweet

I'm actually halfway through building a 1/5th scale monster truck but I shelved it for now. I wanna finish my Daily driver bad boy Maxx first and then start building a T-maxx Drag car. Unliike many eerr some in the hobby, I actually enjoy building and tinkering when I have time.

It would be hard for the "average" hobbyist to build a Micro Nitro 4x4 himself, mostly for lack of parts avaliable. THeir's a substantial market for them if you ask around, their's already allot of Electric Micro 4x4's on the market. I think HPI would get a big market share if they where the first to come out wth one......assuming it's designed well of course. Team Associated might have the balls to build the worlds first Nitro Micro 4x4. I was actually discussing this on the forum with Error or somone a while back. I'll try to find the name of the Micro nitro engines that he gave me and get back to ya.

cool a 1/5 scale 4x4 id be all for that

There's little if any positives for eleccy cars here, BUT in their favour I'll say a couple or 3 important things:

1. Nearly all the RC Car records are held by the electric guys.
2. Electrics leave Nitro's sucking dust off the start line.
3. Most of the top pro's are/were also top eleccy drivers.
4. Electrics are generally for racing, nitro's usually end up as toys for annoying the neighbours.

Ask yourself this, when you where a little kid, did you ever want to play with weed wacker engines? Do you like dirtbikes? From what I have found, if you are mechanicly inclined, you would lean towards nitro.

Well, bragging rights for speed can be settled soon. RC Car Action is putting on a 'Fastest RC Car Challenge" contest to be held sometime in June 2005. They're holding the event at the Irwindale Speedway in Irwindale, CA. They have some details and rules on pg. 249 of their July 2004 issue. Think "Electric" is the king of speed, or will we crown "Nitro" the new champion ?

well, i have a nitro and my brother has an electric. i have to say that mine is a lot more fun that his to drive, due to the extra power and speed. another thing (this is probably just due to the crappy build quality), the threads in his motor stripped causing him much anguish. we just finally fixed it, but not after a lot of trouble with it. his truck is a traxxas rustler btw

Originally posted by akmadmaxx
get a nitro its worth it!!
I got a Swift (1/8th Nitro buggy) amongst my arsenal of RC cars, ranging from RC12LS to Losi XXX to TC3 to Swift with a few more in between.

Right now, my fave is the Swift mainly because there's no longer an active club over here (we had one starting 1976!) and as I don't race competitively anymore, this is for fun - and it can be used anywhere anyway.

Horses for courses, if I had to choose only one car to do the lot it would be the Swift (or other 1/8th buggy)

My favourite class is 1/12th carpet, once you master one of those in a confined area, you can drive anything, and this is borne out throughout RC Car racing.

Masami could drive ANYTHING!

Get the nitro you wont have to mess with the batteries.

They say...

They say that electric is good for people just starting out on the hobby, but when I first started I got a Nitro Stampede used that my uncle bought for me off of ebay.You kind of have to understand engines and carbs.I get lots of help with it from my uncle and dad since they know alot of engines period.Also it depends on how much you want to spend.Also if I were you I would consider a 4WD Off-Road MT.I find them much more fun to play with then any On-Road.Although On-Road is fun if you have a big empty parking lot near where you live.Like and old K-MArt parking lot. :) I would say go with a 4WD Off-Road MT.OR if you really like speed I would go with somthing like a Traxxas Rustler.In the end it all comes up to what you are interested in.(By the way my uncle had a Nitro 4-Tec and we had a blast playing with it in an old K-Mart parking lot near his house, what for big rocks though!We went so fast with it we ended up burning the tires off of it and had to ride it back on nothing but rims.)

Have Fun,
Powerman

Electric or Nitro Drifting

I am starting to convert to the drifting branch of R/C. I want to know if anyone knows what is better for drifting-Electric or Nitro? Which is more fun to use for drifting and which is more durable. Most of the videos on youtube are of Electric drifters, but the most popular drifting videos are Nitro. I don't have D-Box or whatever, just planning out before I buy. I own a HPI Savage and Firestorm that I recently purchased. I think Nitro has more customizable parts such as air intakes, superchargers, exhaust systems, gears, and so on and Electric only has motor, speed control, suspension, and tires. Nothing else really. I don't have a budget, and just am looking for the best R/C Drifting vehicle out there. I am planning on the HPI RS4 3 Evo+ for Nitro and the HPI Sprint 2 Drift for Electric. Also what is the difference between Sprint 2 Drift and Sprint 2 Drift Sport? I have SO many questions!:\

I am starting to convert to the drifting branch of R/C. I want to know if anyone knows what is better for drifting-Electric or Nitro? Which is more fun to use for drifting and which is more durable. Most of the videos on youtube are of Electric drifters, but the most popular drifting videos are Nitro. I don't have D-Box or whatever, just planning out before I buy. I own a HPI Savage and Firestorm that I recently purchased. I think Nitro has more customizable parts such as air intakes, superchargers, exhaust systems, gears, and so on and Electric only has motor, speed control, suspension, and tires. Nothing else really. I don't have a budget, and just am looking for the best R/C Drifting vehicle out there. I am planning on the HPI RS4 3 Evo+ for Nitro and the HPI Sprint 2 Drift for Electric. Also what is the difference between Sprint 2 Drift and Sprint 2 Drift Sport? I have SO many questions!:

I've done ALLOT of research on this because I also would like to get into drifting. The best advice I could give you is start out with a good electric car and a drift assist to get started. The HPI Sprint 2 would be my choice to get started. Once you have the control down and understand the dynamics to drifting, then try the nitro. It's an entirely different game then due to weight distribution and power delivery. Hope this helped a bit.

HOLY ANCIENT THREAD BATMAN....... I wont drift nitro. No one will convince me I could keep the mill cool.........

I think that drifting would be fun to get into as well and plan on doing it sometime in the future for my next ride!!! I think it will be the next thing that I add to my one car collection. Currently have a Losi Mega Baja, and I think it is a blast for some back yard bashing!!!

i'd say both nitro and electric have positives bout them
but nitro's the way to go