Nitro rustler help!!

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smurphycobras

RCTalk Basher
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
I just bought a used traxxas rustler. It starts up really easy and everything but the idle speed is really high. Whenever I press the throttle the idle speed increases to that speed and doesn't go down. The gap in the carb is about 1 mm or less. Could it be a tuning problem or what?? I am new to nitro cars.

Stupid question but clockwise to make it richer and counter clockwise to make it leaner? Or other way around?

Made a little progress... Brake started to work (probably had nothing to do with tuning but good anyway) and when I give it throttle it goes down to where it was. but it's still way to high to drive it. Anything else?

My traxxas rustler seems to cut out when I increase speed and when I get to full throttle it dies. What do I need to do to the hsn or is it an lsn thing?

Thanks.

I bought it used. It's already broken in and everything. It has the pro .15 motor on it. And the needles are back to stock.

I got my nitro rustler to run and idle right. But now during acceleration it bogs down and dies. What can I do to stop that? I'm guessing lsn has nothing to do with that but what do I know? Lol. It has the trx 2.5 motor in it already broken in and everything. The hsn is back to stock settings but that's the only one.

And any of you guys have any body recommendations? Mines pretty beat up. Any pics of yours?

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes tuning may be the issue. Your gap is fine so dont touch it. Use the lsn to adjust your idle thats the screw on the side of linkage. The blue dust boot side center of that. Start the car and let it warm up and lean the lsn till your idle is where you want it. Before hand check and make sure your carbslide is closing when you let off the throttle. If not then its linkage adjustment you need. Do this without rig running! Just turn on all electronics and check all linkage movement. If you do not have one already you need to install a throttle return spring on the throttle linkage also. This helps to keep tension on throttle return and the closing of the slide completely when you release throttle. If you need to know how to tune the hsn and lsn refer to the tuning chart in the nitro rc talk stickies section.

If it's revving high at idle and the idle gap is correct, you need to RICHEN your LSN. Refer to the tuning chart in the nitro section.

Clockwise leans counterclockwise richens.

I need to change the owb but the screws holding the black case on it are nearly stripped..... Any tips to unscrew almost stripped screws? Thank you.

Back