newbie trying to choose a truck

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sosolid

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
Hi, I'm totally new to RC and would appreciate some help from all you pros. I want to get a used truck (eBay), probably nitro, probably 4WD, something that's fast and tough, and not pricey. right now i'm really interested in the HPI Nitro MT. I want to drive mostly off-road, but i also want something that i can slap road tires on and still have fun. so i'm wondering:

should i get nitro or electric?
should i get 2wd or 4wd?
is the HPI Nitro MT a good truck to start with or is there a similar truck i should also consider?

I'd really like to get the most reliable truck possible, with the least maintenance.

Thanks much

Well the most reliable and maintence free is going to be an electric. But then you have to buy some stuff, like chargers and battery packs. Electrics are not maintainence(sp) free, but the do require less.

One thing to prepare you. If you want to jump, and/or go offroad things will break. No matter what you buy you are going to have to buy replacement parts, This hobby will nickel and dime you to death.

Nitro rigs, require little bit less to get going after you buy the car itself. All you need is fuel, and a glow charger.

You will have to learn to tune a nitro.

My best suggestion is to find out what your Local hobby shop stocks parts for. Nothing sucks worse than breaking a part on friday, and having to wait for mail order. A weekend spent staring at your r/c instead of running sucks.

Electrics run about 15 minutes tops, then it is time to change the battery. That being said-

How long do you plan to play with it at a time? Are you going to want to take it out and bash all day? Or are you wanting to walk outside play for an hour, and put it away till next weekend? That's a very important question.

Figure out what you are wanting to do with it, and we can help suggest a ride that fits your needs.

Savage 25 for a big 4wd truck
Nitro MT2 for a small truck
don't get electric, nitro is so much better but it's hard work and takes time to learn about it.

original poster here

I just want to drive it for about an hour at a time, and i only plan to use it about 2-3 times a month. thanks

What I would definetaly suggest is an electric. If you have a lot of wide open space, and want a bigger truck I would suggest something like a clod buster, or a tamiya big bear.

You can find excellent deals on Ebay that include truck, battery packs, and chargers. for around $150 or so.

If your space is limited I would suggest a Mini-T from losi. They are $150 ready to run out of the box. If you buy a decent nihm rechargeble pack, you can get near the 45 minutes to an hour per pack you are looking for. The jump well, and with upgraded batteries have plenty of power.

A nitro will need at least 1-2 hours of break-in time before you run it. Then it will require tuning. (sometimes 1-2 hrs). Maintence on nitros because of their speed,power and vibration factor require quit a bit of maintenece. You also will have to clean it up, as nitro by nature is oily, and collects a lot of grime.

If you do buy on Ebay, the R/C scene is different from the mainstream. Lots of kids selling their R/C's after they grow out of them. Make sure they have excellent feeedback, and goo detailed pictures. You can find almost new r/c's usually from adults who quickly lost interest. Those usually spent most of their time on a shelf.

If your a beginner, You should go with a nice RTR Electric. If you want a on road, you should go with the Team Losi XXX-S RTR. If you want A Stadium I would rec. a Team Losi XXX-T RTR , and Last but not least Monster truck.... E-Maxx... KILLER TRUCK! Its all what you want. I hope you get ur search done. Later man
Colton

ok dude, no offense 2 you electric people, but screw em, even if you're only planning on bashing couples times a month. it dont matter. you will be sucked in and dont worry cuz its a good thing and youl want alot of run time. i mean i usually run 3-5 tanks at a time and it lasts a good while, and its instant cuz nitro means just squirt and go. i mean you really wanna sit around for 5 hours and watch you're friends have a good time with thier nitros? and you want to go ruun for 10 minuts then go back inside and charge. ok thats my opinion on electric. i mean i hate em but i have to say there good for people who dont have much time or money and want to keep running and break ing to a minimal. but say you getting nitro if you're new to r/c id say a 4wd would be maybe a little too much, you might be good with it but 2wd is MUCH simpleer and almost just as good sumtimes better. so id say sum nice off road nitros is losi xxx-nt, associated rc10 gt, xtm x-cellerator(even though its new and not many parts) (still nasty truck) so there plenty of more options but read other peoples answers and good luck!

i said i was only gonna run once or twice a month, and not much more than an hour after school, 2 years later i have 2K truck and lights and track in my yard...this hobby can really get you by the balls and then u hooked. Id say get a savage, all kinds of hopups, ajustable suspention (jumps or streets) and most importantly, its durable and when it deos break, parts are readily availble anywhere.(hobbystores without savage parts are unheard of)

Hpi Savage all the way.......Nick

If I was a beginner DO NOT buy used. Unless it's from someone you know personally who can show you the rc. Sometimes the items that are in "new" condition, are just cleaned up wore out junk.

W/ that said. I bought a Tmaxx 2.5. If I were to do it again, I'd prob. try a Savage 25.

orignal poster here

screw it even though i'm a newbie, I think I'll just save up for a Savage!!! If you're gonna go, go big i always say

....I am weak

If you are going to play with an off road nitro, out of the box. I would definetaly say the savage is the one for you.

It's the most durable out of the box. Has a lot of support. It's also pretty well built.

Welcoem to the world of nitro. I have a feeling, we have ourselves a new member. You can't just run it once in a while. I am sure you'll get sucked in like the rest of us.

Something about the smell of nitro, and the hum of anitor engine. Hrmmm...where's my fuel?? I want to go jump mine now...

if you wants a cheap truck dont go savage or t-maxx not even E-maxx they are too expensive and be carful what you get on ebay the can be total rip off's just my:2cents:

T-maxx. A simple beginner nitro truck. Unless you plan on spending more time in the air and jumping off houses and stuff your not supposed to do with an rc, then you should get a T-maxx.:D