Newbie needs advice on purchase

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chadds

RCTalk Basher
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
Hi, I'm ready to get into nitro R/C cars, but I am a total newbie...and I'm hoping to get some advice.

First of all, I want to buy something that is RTR or needs very little work since I am totally new to the hobby. I want to spend no more than $500 for everything I need, and get the best possible car I can for the money.

Next...I'm not exactly sure what type of vehicle I want. I will be primarily be using it to tear around in the yard, maybe do some light jumping, and occasionally run on the asphalt, etc.

I'm kind of a speed junkie, so I definately want something that has a lot of acceleration and top end, that is pretty important to me. I also want something that is very durable that I don't have to constantly fix.

I almost just ordered a T-Maxx, but after looking at some info online, I see a lot of people having trouble with breaking parts on these trucks. Also...after thinking about what I want to do, a monster truck may not be the solution. Do you think a stadium truck or buggy sounds like that would fit me better than a monster truck?

I have never run a nitro R/C...so I'm hoping you guys can kind of point me in the direction you think I would be happiest with. I really have no preference on whether I end up with a monster truck, or a stadium truck or buggy. Thanks a lot!

Chad

From what you've described, a Stadium Truck is the vehicle for you! I would strongly reccomend the Team Associated RC10GT. It's a great truck with tons of aftermarket parts out there for you to hook it up. It's also a pretty durable truck, but remember no matter what you get, things will break. Like anything, the more abuse you throw at it the more you'll be replacing parts. (NOTHING is break-proof!)
The RTR GT has plenty of speed, to be honest it'll probably have more than you want.
It's also easy to work on, which would be great for you. Most hobby stores sell them for $289 RTR, +fuel bottle $6, 4 way wrench $6, fuel $20-30/gallon, AA batteries.
You'll love it, I promise! It's fun as hell, and it's a great vehicle if you're looking to go both on and off road.

Also...where is the best place to buy online? I've been looking mainly at Tower Hobbies, I don't really know of any other places. Thanks

Ohh yeah, I forgot to add that if you don't like constantly tuning, adjusting, tinkering, and replacing parts then nitro probably isn't for you. If you don't mind any of that at all, then nitro all the way!

If you are brand new, I would look at stadium trucks. Speed, off-road capability, and racing come to mind. Look for a version with either roto-start or the traxxas EZ start. Once you get better at tuning, you can go back to pull-starts.

Most important, is stick with what your LHS supports. Ask what ST they have the parts for, and buy that one.

I would personally suggest that you don't buy DuraTrax aka DuraTrash. They have some reliability issues.

From reading your post, you might be looking at the wrong hobby. The Nitro RC Car and Truck hobby goes something like this:

run it... break it... fix it... run it... break it... fix it... run it...

Also, tuning the engine is a pain in the butt. You'll have to do this after break in and it's no fun.

If you don't have fun fixing and tinkering with stuff, Nitro RC just isn't for you.

Originally posted by chadds
Also...where is the best place to buy online? I've been looking mainly at Tower Hobbies, I don't really know of any other places. Thanks

Check out eBay.

You can get brand new cars/trucks for good prices with free shipping. Make sure you check the sellers feedback.

I would suggest going with something that is 4-wheel drive. I bought the losi xxx-nt rtr as my first and quickly found out that for fun ability, 2-wheel drive isn't the way to go.

I went with the t-maxx, but i would suggest the savage. The maxx is a good truck, but if i had it to do over again, the savage would be my choice. Reason being is that the savage comes with a 21 and a drivetrain that can handle it. After $2000 worth of upgrades, my maxx is pretty bad ass. But i probably could have got away with less than half and have a comperable savage. You can get a savage RTR for under $500.

I havn't gotten one yet, but the Savage SS will be my next purchase.

Tower is a good site with good prices and quick shipping. 2coolrc has a lot of maxx upgrades. integy.com also has a lot of good max upgrades and i think savage upgrades.

Hope this helps

Stadium nitro rustler.. very fast and on and off road capability.
rtr does about 50 mph out of the box.
If you wreck at that speed, you will definitely learn how to fix a truck.
Good luck!!

Thanks for all the suggestions. After reading everything, and doing more research online, I decided to go with a T-Maxx. It was a tough descision...but, if I have fun with the Maxx...I'm sure I'll have a chance to purchase some different R/C's in the future!Thanks

Chad

I will strongly advise you to take a look at the savage and don't make the same mistake i did. It took a lot of $ to make the maxx perform really well and be dependable. Most of which was to add strength to support the 21.

I've heard bad about the savage as well, but not the savage ss.

Just keep it in mind before you drop your dough.

Also, check with your local hobby shop if you have one and see what truck they have more parts for. On average though, most have a long list of parts on hand for both the maxx and savage.

I like the maxx now, but that was after an extra $1000 worth of parts.

if you want more speed and acceleration, i would go with a stadium truck. its good for occasional jumping and mild offroad use. just my 2 cents

i support the Tmaxx over the savage for a first car, far easier to work on and fix when it breaks. also the 2.5 engine is good but not over powering... the maxx has a ton of parts ready all over hte place 4wd... and if you arent doing major jumps a t maxx will handle it. ... other than the t maxx i say the nitro rustler rtr is a good truck , and then the hpi mt2 (good truck but a little more intensive to work on than the rusty due to the 4wd.)

I didn't realize the savage was harder to work on. I hope to find out in the next year though.

I know there are things on the maxx that are a constant pain. Even when it was stock. Getting the 2 lower shock tower screws out is always not fun.

the savage isnt really harder , its just different and not very newbie friendly. there are a lot of tricks that make it a little easier , but for a starter truck the maxx is a little more simple in layout and maintenance

Supernitro17
It may be simple in layout but the maintenance is the same for both IMO.
I have both the Maxx and a Savage and both get the same amount of maintenance to keep them in good shape and running condition. But the Savage get's alot more running time then my Maxx. I nolonger like the .15.. The .21-.27 big bore is the way to go I think.
The aftermarket for the Savage is also getting fairly big as all it took was a little time for the market to kick in. Now you can get just about everything for a Savage as an aftermarket part.

I chose savage over the maxx. I could have had either and I went savage. I have read that they are a little bit more reliable as far as stock parts go. It's not just because I have everything HPI either. Newayz good luck with your new hobby and welcome to RCNT

he can pick whatever he wants. the savage is an awesome truck ,its just harder to get to some of the things.

Buy the Maxx...buy the savage.....maxx....savage....

Bottom line, buy what you want and enjoy the hobby.

Just hold on to your wallet.

Back