New truck #2, SCX24 Deadbolt

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GMCK1500shoptruck

RCTalk Basher
Reaction score
IMG_4438.jpeg

This little guy quickly followed my FCX24 onto my front porch… meet “The Frog”!

I think this is going to be more of a comp style build. So far I’ve added a set of Hot Racing shocks… and painted the rims and cage green for a bit more color…

I took it down by the river tonight and I was pretty impressed with its performance as-is, but I’m definitely going to mod it a lot more…

Plans call for an upgraded servo, better steering linkage, high clearance suspension links, brass diff covers, brass knuckles, and nicer wheels and tires… and maybe a better motor…

Should be fun!

Any opinions on a hardware kit for this truck? I really don’t like the screws that come with the Hot Racing shocks, they seem to round-out way too easily. I figure it’s worth picking up a hardware kit but I want to be sure I’m getting better quality…

Thanks for the advice! The stock screws don’t have any issues with rounding out, and they’re not stainless… the HR shock screws appear to be stainless…

Let’s talk colors… I’m calling this guy “frog”, and my favorite species of frog is the red eyed tree frog so I’m using that as the basis for the color of the upgraded parts. If you’re not familiar with red eyed tree frogs they are mostly green with orange feet and blue stripes/markings on their sides (and of course red eyes). Not sure yet what I’m going to do for the eyes, but the orange feet will translate to orange wheels, and I’m thinking of going with blue suspension links to represent the markings on the frog’s side… looks pretty good in my head…

IMG_4443.jpeg

Quick update: I really don’t like blue-white LEDs. I remembered I have a bottle of Testors clear amber turn signal paint. A few coats over the factory LEDs turned them into a much more pleasant yellowish light.

I also swapped the factory wheels and tires from my FMS Blazer onto this truck for now because I like those tires better than the stock SCX tires. I ultimately want something more aggressive, so they will be replaced at some point…

View attachment 170415

Quick update: I really don’t like blue-white LEDs. I remembered I have a bottle of Testors clear amber turn signal paint. A few coats over the factory LEDs turned them into a much more pleasant yellowish light.

I also swapped the factory wheels and tires from my FMS Blazer onto this truck for now because I like those tires better than the stock SCX tires. I ultimately want something more aggressive, so they will be replaced at some point…
Looks good. I'm installing warm white on my 10.2. Gives it the incandescent look.

Steering slop hack: adding o-rings left over from link kits and shocks to the factory steering linkage will take out most of the play without any binding. That will give a little bit better performance until I get around to upgrading the linkage…

IMG_4496.jpeg

IMG_4497.jpeg

It’s happening!

I don’t think it’s going to be very capable with this body but I’m still going to go ahead with my planned performance mods… I can always put the stock body back on if I want to do any serious crawling…