New to Tuning

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sgra2951

RCTalk Basher
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
I just bought my new Savage X 4.6 yesterday, and I have been trying to tune it in.. I have the high speed set pretty good I think, I mean I am still moving it clockwise at times just to try to get peak top speeds.. BUT, I am still having troubles when I first get going.. It stalls out kinda when I hit the throttle, and when its cold I have to give it a push and get it rolling before baby the throttle. Once its going good and warmed up it goes quick, but it stalls out a little.. I have only ran about 5-6 tanks throu the engine, could this be the problem?

Yes please say that this is after completing a 4-5 tank break in. If not then you may have totally shot your engine.

By break in, you mean like baby the throttle, do figure 8's and dont push it, then yea.. I let one tank go throu at just idle, then ran a few tanks throu easy.. But I heard from a friend that I may have pushed it too hard too fast. How will I know if my engine is shot??
I took it to hobby shop today, I blew the clutch kit inside the bell housing out, I replaced it myself, but without the tools I needed, so the housing doesn't spin freely. Worried now about enngine, It runs ok once I get her warmed up.. Damn I hope its not blown..

Also, should I be running 30% fuel? I am using 20% now.. can't get wheelies either because of the stalling.. If my engine is dead, what is a good upgrade? Heard that some motors are harder to tune..

If your clutchbell is not spinning freely then that could be the cause of stalling. Also a good surfire way of knowing engine is shot is by running it and when it heats up to good temps it stalls and wont start again till it cools down. First remove the clutchbell and inspect clutches and spring. Make sure everything is installed correct. Once bell spins free while engine is not running and while it is running at idle it doesn't move forward or stall when braking you should be fine with that part.

Clutch bell was a wreck, got it fixed at the hobby shop (I didnt have the tools necessary) But now I am having tuning problems.. I have another thread already started.. thanks for all the imput with this issue..

Look through this thread:

https://www.rcnitrotalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=60832
-------------------------------------------------------------------

You have the same question in 4 new threads in 3 different forums. Traxxas, HPI and 1/8 scale. Knowing what forum the question belongs in helps us to isolate your problem. The other 3 threads will be deleted, along with any information you may have gotten in them.
Please read the forum rules before posting again.

Last edited:
If the engine is running well when hot I doubt it is shot, Sounds like you might need to tweak the LSN to stop the stalling when starting.

Got it all worked out.. thanks guys..

---------- Post added at 2:10 AM ---------- Previous post was at 2:03 AM ----------

Look through this thread:

https://www.rcnitrotalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=60832
-------------------------------------------------------------------

You have the same question in 4 new threads in 3 different forums. Traxxas, HPI and 1/8 scale. Knowing what forum the question belongs in helps us to isolate your problem. The other 3 threads will be deleted, along with any information you may have gotten in them.
Please read the forum rules before posting again.

I have 2 trucks, so the ones in Traxxas were for my T-MAXX and the one in HPI was for the SAVAGE X 4.6

How did the hobby shop test out the new clutch? They should have at least run some fuel through it to test and make sure all was well and the would have been able to tun in in a matter of min

Yeah, they got it all running. I have to figure out the tuning in the different weather patterns. Was running great yesterday in the cold. Today it was nice and it ran good but stalled about 45sec if I didnt throttle it. Also, seen alot of fuel coming from under the glo plug when trying to start..