Fine tuning shocks! Need some suggestion

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KeepOnKeepnOn

RCTalk Member
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Crawling
Modified Rival MT10. Currently rocking stock shock set up. " Front Rate: 4.00 lb/in Rear: 3.95 lb/in 40wt Only thing I adjusted was the ride height so far. When I corner my front inside tire really comes up and my body really wants to role. I mitigate it with throttle control. The rear end stays planted. Have my brakes set to 10% and even just feathering the brakes it nose dives at any speed. Overall handles good. Slight bucking in some situations. I built a ramp and have been gradually stepping up. I've been fine tuning one thing at a time as suggest by yall and any help would be appreciated.

Last edited:
Sorry to be blunt, but it's a "monster truck". Trying to make it handle like something else... you'll be fighting it all the way. Short wheelbase, short arms, huge tires, body sitting higher up... enjoy the weight transfer, and body roll. Having the best possible shocks on there won't change much. You can slow things down using thicker shock oil, but then you'll lose performance/handling over ruts and bumps. Everything is a give and take.

Last edited:
Our Granite is the same way, but you can get it to handle a little better than stock. Tweaking the brake setting might help too.

put a single hole piston in frt shock along with 60 wt oil.. you can make a oil filled shock rig handle anyway you want it to

Sorry to be blunt, but it's a "monster truck". Trying to make it handle like something else... you'll be fighting it all the way.

+1

Consider converting it into a 1/8 Buggy and then you can focus more on performance.

I recommend reading the following guide as well:
https://storage.googleapis.com/sodialed-help-files/manuals-and-reference/hudy%20off-road%20setup%20book.pdf

Key areas to address are sway bars(thicker), ride height(lower) and diff tuning (thinner).

Ill advise doing what I suggested..My race clod runs smooth a silk on the offroad tracks I've run..
mostly carpet with 180swichbacks that will tip A buggy...

I'm gonna take your advice and also buy a lil stiffer springs and go from there.
Sorry to be blunt, but it's a "monster truck". Trying to make it handle like something else... you'll be fighting it all the way. Short wheelbase, short arms, huge tires, body sitting higher up... enjoy the weight transfer, and body roll. Having the best possible shocks on there won't change much. You can slow things down using thicker shock oil, but then you'll lose performance/handling over ruts and bumps. Everything is a give and take.
I'm also a very blunt individual. As so thats the way I like it straight to the point no filter. Wish more people were like that. I'm just trying to get a direction as to tweak the setup to its full potential. I understand it an MT. Compared to my sons Gorgon its a ballistic laser guided missle. Puts a smile on my face every run. But I love to tinker as it gets my mind off all the BS.
Appreciate everyone's help I have a plan of attack.

Last edited:
Back