New to nitro !

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

matc

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
Hello,

Just bought my first rc car ever, a traxxas rustler intro. I like mechanics so I thought this nice little toy would be nice to play with.

I've read a lot these past few days on nitro engine break-in. I'm in Canada, very cold right now but people here break-in their engine anyway by using socks and thermometers to monitor the engine temp.

Since I'm on a short budget, can I use a standard digital termometer with a probe ? I could stick the probe in near the glow plug to get a reading. Much cheaper than buying an infrared gun, which are pretty expensive around here. Alternatively, I've got a thermocouple which I could tape to the truck and get actual reading while driving. So, do I really need an infrared gun for proper temperature reading ?

I got mine off eBay for like 13 shipped, its a knock off but works great!
And welcome to the forum!!!
And congrats on your new rusty! Hope you enjoy it!

Welcome and congrats on the Rusty, I love mine. I'm not sure if your thermometer will work, I think the probe may be too large to give a good reading. I'm thinking the probe will pick up more of the air temp instead of the actual engine temp.

Welcome and congrats on the Rusty, I love mine. I'm not sure if your thermometer will work, I think the probe may be too large to give a good reading. I'm thinking the probe will pick up more of the air temp instead of the actual engine temp.

I agree with this, as it also would have trouble getting a good reading on the motor as well.

Trust me you just spent how much on this truck? 12 dollars will save you spending another 80-150 on a new motor once you kill it trying to use the probe for temps in the future.

I was you and tried cutting corners when I started a couple months back, and from expierence, you don't wanna cut corners in this hobby, it will cost you more money and a lot more head aches in the long run.

Welcome to RCNT! I don't think he's trying to cut corners but simply asking a question. But yes, get yourself a $15 temp gun and you'll be set. How much snow you got up there? I'm down in Wisconsin and we just got about 8 inches.

where in Canada are you?

Try Canadian tire they have the Mastercraft ones go on sale all the time, and with it being boxing day/week you might get lucky.

you will find the other cats here really know the nitro stuff. ill give just this the fuel for nitro engines is mostly methanol, so if it catches fire water will put it out. but be sure and mark the water jar as water so you dont put it in the engine. all so note when methanol burns in day light it is hard to see.

I'm thinking the probe will pick up more of the air temp instead of the actual engine temp.

Yep. IR is the only way to get an accurate reading without actually attaching something to the head.

I've got a thermocouple which I could tape to the truck and get actual reading while driving.

Again, unless you have one that will pick up only head temperature and not air temperature, gonna be pretty useless.

All right thanks guys ! I'll starrt checking for an IR thermometer then !

I have a blue duratrax one that I've had for years now, it was cheap and still works great