New Savage X fuel help.

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oately

RCTalk Rookie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
I just ordered a new Hpi Savage x. I picked up 2 gallons of power master 25% car formula for 10 dollars each from when my LHS went out of business about 6 months ago. is it safe to run the f4.6 on 25% nitro?

It should be fine only if it's been stored correctly over that time. It should be in a cool and dark place with no sunlight. Also if you'e going to run this fuel for break in then if you change fuels, you're going to have to retune. Personally I would run a fuel that you can get ahold of that you plan on running all the time.

srusinek is correct, nitro fuel does have a shelf life and the sun does destroy the nitro quickly so it all depends on how and where it was stored. 25% nitro is the top of the recomended mark. I always run 20% but for 2 gallons and $10 you can't really beat that. Run that through then switch to 20% and retune it and you will be just fine.

Like others have said if its been sitting in a relatively cool and not hot or sunny place it should be fine.

I actually have been running some fuel that has been sitting in my closet for over a a year and a half.. and the truck runs great. I run 20% because the left over gallon i have is just 20 % but its still running great and the fuel is in great condition still.

Youll be alright.

HPI recommend 25%, but most people on here say 20%. Confused as to which one to get for my Savage X 4.6..

I always run 20% they last much longer. HPI says 25% max you get more performance but engines wont last as long.

i run 30% in every motor i own, they all run cooler. dont really notice a performance gain

Run it! HPI recommends 20-25%. That's good fuel. It has a blend of synthetic and castor. That's what you want. And it's not very likely that it went bad over 6 months.

Thanks for all the helpful answers. I had kept the fuel in the room where i ferment my beer (dark and between 70-75 degrees.) the fuel works great so far. I also found another new local hobby shop that can order me more of the same fuel if i don't feel like switching. i will probably switch back down to 20% just to stay closer to the manufacturer recommended spec fuel after the 2 gallons are gone.

Is there a major difference in engine performance/longevity (Savage X 4.6) between using 20% and 25% fuels?

Currently using Optifuel 25% (based on HPI advice)..

i run 30% in every motor i own, they all run cooler. dont really notice a performance gain

Thats why I run 30% also. I switched from Blue Thunder so I noticed significant improvement in idle and low end response.

Back