Need some over all help with 2wd Slash

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bushwaker

RCTalk Basher
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
I'm a new racer / wet behind the ears! But I have potential and the drive to be good. I just started racing my "Stratight out the box Stock Slash" at our local clay track. My first race was garbage cause I bought my slash used with 2 Poo Poo batterys. So with that being said I would practice with the batterys and get a around the track a few time before they passed out but I could really handel the speed of the 12T and most of the time on full throttle. SO at the race a buddy of mine let me use a 4500 Mah/ Nimh WOW wtf is this my truck. Fast as all get out so with this being my first time using this battery things were not good on the track spinnig out etc etc ect you get the idea.

So with that said I would like some info on what upgrades do you all suggest I have a few let me know what you all think.I want to use the 12T until its done just to get a feel for the truck then I will go brushless. I was told no bigger than a 57k motor.

1 Pro-line track suspension kit
2 Universal drive shafts
3 Caliper Tires
4 Sealed Diff
5 5000 Mah/ Nimh bat
6 Motor?????

I dont race, but from what I have picked up if you make these changes you will not be able to run the stock class. I would get some more track time in before you jump up in classes. Other than that they look like great hop ups.

Check to see what tires the fast guys are using. A tire change will make the biggest difference in traction. Once you get in the ballpark, you can start to aqdjust your suspension. Just remember to make only 1 small chage at a time, and check your lap times when you make a change (at least 20 laps and use the best 10 for an average). This way, you get a lot of practice in and can find out what each change makes to the handling. #1 upgrade you can do, comes from within you. Practice, practice, practice, throttle control, and more practice, will get you to the top of the class.

Thanks for all the info and help guys.

Tire Option = depends on what type of track you run on hard packed , soft etc .

universal drive shaft = doesn't matter in my opinion .

Suspension = i prefer a harder WT shock oil with some soft springs because where i run it has more jumps then straights , but it's really up to you and the track you run on . if it has more straights then i would recommend you run stock shock oil with medium to hard springs .

Motor = i prefer sensor brushless 13.5T motor for short course tracks better torque for those jumps :) .

Battery Lipo pack enough power to get your truck running strong and last longer as well .

NOTE: all this is what i like just sharing my tune up options it might not be what other people are running or doing but i like it for what and where i run good luck .

I'm a new racer / wet behind the ears! But I have potential and the drive to be good. I just started racing my "Stratight out the box Stock Slash" at our local clay track. My first race was garbage cause I bought my slash used with 2 Poo Poo batterys. So with that being said I would practice with the batterys and get a around the track a few time before they passed out but I could really handel the speed of the 12T and most of the time on full throttle. SO at the race a buddy of mine let me use a 4500 Mah/ Nimh WOW wtf is this my truck. Fast as all get out so with this being my first time using this battery things were not good on the track spinnig out etc etc ect you get the idea.

So with that said I would like some info on what upgrades do you all suggest I have a few let me know what you all think.I want to use the 12T until its done just to get a feel for the truck then I will go brushless. I was told no bigger than a 57k motor.

1 Pro-line track suspension kit
2 Universal drive shafts
3 Caliper Tires
4 Sealed Diff
5 5000 Mah/ Nimh bat
6 Motor?????

For stock class racing, you can't do much but there are a few tricks-
1. Get a good charger- discharge your batteries, then charge at 6.0 amps. Re-peak at 10.0 amps after the battery has cooled. Do this only on race day, it is very hard on the packs.
2. Break-in a fresh motor. There are many different ways- everyone has there own preference- I run mine in water for 30min at 1.5 volts (using the motor break-in feature on my charger). As soon as the 30min is up, flush the motor completely with motor spray, then oil the bushings with a light oil.
3. pull the dust covers off of all of the bearings in the truck and blow the grease out of them with motor spray. Again, use a light oil to lubricate them and re-install the dust covers. The frictional gain from eliminating the grease is HUGE.
4. a decent radio (pref. 2.4ghz) with adjustable endpoints and exponential can help a lot. The ability to slow down the steering speed around "dead zone" on the wheel makes the car less twitchy.

I run 60wt in the front and 50wt in the rear. My local track is high bite clay with some pretty good jumps and usually some nice technical areas.

If you plan to run mod- Get the Pro-Line kit. I run a 10.5 in mine and it's very controllable. The speed of an 8.5 would be great, but I love the driveability of mine as it is now. I will have pics and full description of my Mod Slash setup up tonite.

Wow you all are awsome! But I got a gret deal on a 4x4 I had to do it! So I soild my 2wd Chassis I took the reciver and transmitter.I have to get a new radio but I like the traxxas radio.

2 thumbs up for jon nice information i will copy that for sure .

Back