Need help on build choices

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
thats a super, its a different class, the berg is a 2.2 as are most production crawlers out right now. i would personally go with a berg, i own one so i guess you can say i am biased to the berg axle BUT i have had many axials and been around most other crawlers available and would still pick the berg axle. although if you are looking for something other than a berg, you can get a MOA kit for the new losi crawler made by Eritex, that would be a good route as well.

I'm trying to get info on the comp rules and regulations and have found one site. I am not sure if I understand correctly or not, but is have both front and rear wheel steering not allowed. I don't know that I would ever do competitions but would like to build my rig within spec just in case.

2.2 class and 1.9 class-rear steer is NOT allowed.

Is it allowed that the rig have it built that way but the rear steer axle locked and not in use?

Last edited:
ya they are just locked in place.

Also does the Berg kit come with a Dig transmission? Or does it even come with a transmission period? The sites i've looked at don't specify and some of the terminology is new to me. Also what would be good motors and esc for a berg setup? Sorry for so many questions I'm new at this and researching everything trying to figure out what I want and what parts to use. Are there good websites for parts and information for crawlers?

dont worry, feel free to ask as much as you need and you can pm me too if you need help. Bergs do not have transmissions. they are MOA (motor on axle). you can use two 45t integy motors and a sidewinder or mamba max esc will do the trick. the dig on a berg since theres not a trans-is electronic, you can use a servo and two switches to give you front and rear dig along with a 3 position 3rd channel radio or you can buy a switch unit made by Punkrc wich is a very small item and works flawlessly!

heres one of the dig units i refered too, if you scroll down you will see how small it is on my rig.
https://www.rcnitrotalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=71019

Awesome, that link to the product page really helped out having a diagram. I had seen your description on another page using the servo and 2 switches from Radio Shack, but I didn't understand at all what that was about. Now that I know that it is all electronic and no trans it makes more sense to cut off the rear motor to lock it in place.

One last question would I be better off at least for now starting out to get the Berg kit and the other needed parts, or a scratch build with just the Berg axles? I don't know exactly what I would need with the axles other than a chassis and shocks plus the parts that are also needed with the kit.

Thanks for your help

i would just do a scratch build, the stock berg shocks, wheels, chassis are all gonna be something you would wanna upgrade anyways so might as well do it right the first time imo. Start off with axles then build from there.

Listen to the man he knows his stuff, LOL!!! If I were to build a berg I would also build it from scratch, you will get better parts the perform a lot better going that route vs. buying the kit, there are a lot of good chassis and shocks out there, and you can custom make ur own links, Delrin is what I prefer for this, or you could buy a after market chassis that comes with links already.

I think you should start off with the axles and electronics, like the esc, motors, servo, radio and so on and once you get that stuff then worry about the chassis, good things come to those who wait...
on tires, i would recomend either panther cougars, rovers or chisels. since the berg axles are wide you need to get some different offset wheels than you would for an axial. but start with some of the other things, then come back to that.

That's what I was thinking, that's why I thought I would go with the kit rather than a scratch build for now. The difference in price from the axles only to the kit is only $70.00. That way I can get it built start crawling and learn how to operate it before I start putting on better components.

Thanks again I think I will go with this setup for now,

Berg 2.2 Kit
Integy 45t motor
Sidwinder ESC
Dig Switch

Not sure on tires or a radio yet though but that's a start.

Last edited:
That's what I was thinking, that's why I thought I would go with the kit rather than a scratch build for now. The difference in price from the axles only to the kit is only $70.00. That way I can get it built start crawling and learn how to operate it before I start putting on better components.

Berg 2.2 Kit
Integy 45t motor
Sidwinder ESC
Dig Switch

In your case it would be MOTORS, LOL!!! sounds like your off to a good start, for a radio a DX3R which has a 3 position 3rd chanel would be a good choice.

Berg 2.2 Kit
Integy 45t motor
Sidwinder ESC
Dig Switch

Sounds like your in for some money ;) Have fun and good luck with it.

Ya as long as you can afford it go with a spektrum dx3r, if not and you can only spend very little $$$ then you can pickup a modded tq3.

Well I have gotten my first hands on experience with a crawler. Not only is it the first crawler but the first RC period. It was awesome. Went to the local rc store here, it is the only one in the area with any kind of track. It has an offroad indoor track, outdoor road track, and in the front of the store under the windows a long strip of rocks for crawlers. Talked with him for a few min and he let me run his 1/18 losi on his rock track. It was only for about 3 minutes but it was awesome. I love it, so much attention to detail and delicate movements. I can't wait to get one of my own.

Although I am willing to spend $600-$700 after looking up parts and prices for a custom Berg I am at about that limit after all parts except a radio and that would put me quite a bit over the top. So I think I will get either a Axial RTC or Losi, that way I will have something to learn on that is considerably cheaper and will inevitably break, but won't destroy a more expensive custom build right away.

I think the AX10 RTC would not be a bad place for you to start, with some small changes it can be made into a decent little crawler, no a comp crawler but still a fun crawler to play around with, the berg is going to be a much more capable rig, but the RTC will still fun for you and you can change and upgrade things over time.

Oh that kinda sucks, not that I will be ready for comp's soon, but there is a local crawler club that usually gets together for comps every weekend and thought I would give it a try, I didn't realize it wasn't a comp.

Back