My short Bus Revo 3.3 Help

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TruthIsntHere

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
I recently purchased a used Revo for $35. I'm not even sure what its missing but i do know it is missing quite a bit from the truck.I was able to get the engine running after i pulled it from the truck, but when i put it back in, it moved maybe 10ft or so and then it stripped the spur gear..:angry: When I looked at the engine, the clutch bell was hanging off.(Does anyone know what caused that??)

Ill get pictures up soon so you all have a better look at what i may be missing and what i should upgrade. Like i said before though, i did get it moving so I'm guessing the motor is ok but the header is cracked. the block says 3.3 but that starter thing says 2.5? I had to hack job solder the wiring to get it to fire, i know ill need a new one.

The clutch bell is hanging off because the C clip came off the shaft (which holds the clutch bell on) and it sounds like you lost one of 2 high speed bearings. I would get another set of bearings, new C clip and you will also need a felt washer that goes on the shaft before the C clip.

20140412_002525_zps845388ee.jpg

20140412_002506_zps74c8f98d.jpg

20140412_003326_zpsc535b086.jpg

20140412_002551_zps2bd06cbd.jpg

If i need to take better ones...or a specific picture let me know please, i really would like to restore this truck

---------- Post added at 8:39 AM ---------- Previous post was at 8:36 AM ----------

The clutch bell is hanging off because the C clip came off the shaft (which holds the clutch bell on) and it sounds like you lost one of 2 high speed bearings. I would get another set of bearings, new C clip and you will also need a felt washer that goes on the shaft before the C clip.

Is there any specific reason why it might fall off or was it just to the point of being so worn it failed? I'm going to replace everything you just said, when you see the pictures, everything near the engine and tranny are rusted

Since your pulling the motor and goinf to have the clutchbell off, inspect the clutch shoes or just replace them because they will be worn out as well. The clutch shoes are the 2 black things held together with a spring under the clutchbell, a broken set of shoes could cause the C clip and bearings to fail. Replacing all the shoes, bearings, washer and C clip will be around $20.

---------- Post added at 4:47 AM ---------- Previous post was at 4:44 AM ----------

Also pick up the traxxas header that is held on with a spring that wraps around the block. I just recently had the same header crack at the flange where it bolts to the block. As far as upgrades go, it all depends on how much you want to spend and what you want it to do!

---------- Post added at 4:53 AM ---------- Previous post was at 4:47 AM ----------

By looking at the pix, alot of guys here like myself, ditch the Opti drive and reverse gears in the trans. Pick up an FOC (Forward Only Conversion kit $10) and then I would look into a new digital radio and receiver and upgrade the servos and that will cost another $100. Some guys here have well over 1K into there Revos! It adds up quick! You also might want to pick up a couple glow plugs too! I run the McCoy #8's and love em!

is there an issue with upgrading to a 3 shoe pad? I'm not sure if i have a foc or not, theres no optidrive in there

A three shoe clutch is a good upgrade. Looks like you have some work there. It will be worth it in the end. If it were me I would replace the brakes, go with the spring mounted header as mentioned and a decent pipe. Looks like it needs a good cleaning all around. For $35 you still got a good deal. Shaun

By those trans pix, the FOC is already done and the Opti drive is gone so you have saved money already!

---------- Post added at 5:49 AM ---------- Previous post was at 5:47 AM ----------

As far as a 3 shoe clutch, the 3.3 is fine without it, I would just replace the shoes, a 3 shoe clutch is good for a bigger motor so you would be fine!

---------- Post added at 5:56 AM ---------- Previous post was at 5:49 AM ----------

The cool thing about the Revo is that most all the Slayer Pro part cross over. I used the slayer pro throttle servo box because its half the size of the revo also went with the Slayer Pro receiver box after I went to a digital radio because it is alot smaller as well, it really cleaned up the Revo as far as looking cluttered. You can throw the Slayer Pro arms and shafts on and you now have a SC!

Looks like this

Attachments

• R4.jpg
    R4.jpg
    11.7 KB · Views: 243
  • R5.jpg
    R5.jpg
    11.9 KB · Views: 233
Thats pretty cool.ill stick with the oem clutch setup then. the receiver box and all that is covered in some pretty gross stuff, so ill take your advice and pick some goodies from the slayer..is there going to be any issues with running a slightly larger tank?

lol exactly, i just want longer run times but i wasn't sure if it was going to cause me to re tune the engine based off the tank size

You got quite a deal. $35 would have been a great price just for the engine.
Doing a total tear down is the best thing you could do to inspect the truck and learn everything there is to know about how it works.

In case you don't have a manual, here it it...

http://traxxas.com/node/10792

You got quite a deal. $35 would have been a great price just for the engine.
Doing a total tear down is the best thing you could do to inspect the truck and learn everything there is to know about how it works.

In case you don't have a manual, here it it...

http://traxxas.com/node/10792

thats what i needed lol,i tore it all down and cleaned the chassis, but its bent so i think ill get a new chassis and look into the slayer project maybe....revo seems fun but we will see

If it doesn't have the extended chassis, might as well get that. Anything I break, like a T-Maxx something, I upgrade to revo or 3.3 spec. If I had a revo, I'd go extended.

I threw some SC wheels on my Revo today and had a blast! Super stable and fun!

Attachments

• R6.jpg
    R6.jpg
    10.1 KB · Views: 207
other then the obvious, what is the benefit of the extended chassis?

if you get an extended chassis you will have to get an extended or 3.3 body. how badly bent is the chassis,i just picked up a 3.3 with a twisted cradle once I straightened back up its near perfect ,I will however be adding a m2c chassis brace just for good measure

Also you will have to get the longer drive shafts!

longer front shaft and also longer steering linkages

Back