My desert race truck

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scottm

Hardcore RCTalk User
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
Some of you old timers may have noticed that about 3 years ago I became a lot less active around here. Thats because I started building a 1:1 Chevy truck for desert racing. It took every spare minute for the last 3 years alright, but I finally entered my first desert race on Sat, 12-6. I guess peeps outside the southwest may not know about des racing. Its like ralley, only fewer rules and no stages. Just all-out haulin down dirt roads. Here is a video clip someone took of me going by. And yes, I am going fairly slow, but this was about the first mile of my first race:

The build is a long story, and I am going to make a detailed thread about it on a desert racing website next week and post a link on rcnt. Til then, here are a couple pics. The first is what it looked like when I got it home. It was an unfinished pre-runner project I bought cheap. I dragged it off the trailer, built a shop around it, then I cut all the crap off the front and started over:

Attachments

• DSC00894.JPG
    DSC00894.JPG
    148.8 KB · Views: 62
  • DSC01886.JPG
    DSC01886.JPG
    145.2 KB · Views: 71
  • kel2.jpg
    kel2.jpg
    135.2 KB · Views: 145
  • DSC01973.JPG
    DSC01973.JPG
    146.3 KB · Views: 74
Last edited by a moderator:
It has 21 inches front travel with one King coilover and triple bypass shock per wheel. It has 26 inches raer travel on a 4 link trailing-arm setup, again with King coilover and bypass shocks. The engine is a 100k mile shortblock I borrowed from my Chevy 1 ton dually crewcab, because I ran out of money! I put World Products 202 valve heads on it with a Comp cams extreme energy cam, Victor Jr manifold and Holley 750 Double pumper. It makes about 400 hp, which is enough for now...

Looks like a lot of fun! God any video of it racing yet Scott?

sweet! Those desert and baja trucks are awesome

Sweet. I haven't been down to Baja in a couple years. My cousin still races down on the Baja.

Nice Rig btw.

dude i want one!!! definatly get a vid of that rig in action!!!!

Very cool ride, you can't get much better then King Shocks....and those upper control arms are beefy

Looks like a lot of fun! God any video of it racing yet Scott?

Um yeah, there is a link in my first post. I am taking it out after newyears for some testing at a real track, and that should result in some good video.

Nice Rig man, All that suspension travel shoud make for a pretty nice ride, and you looked like you were moving along pretty good in the little clip you posted...

Um yeah, there is a link in my first post. I am taking it out after newyears for some testing at a real track, and that should result in some good video.

haha i missed that one big time. I did edit the link though so that the video would show in the post now. :D

damn that front suspension looks tough as hell, awsome looking truck. id be to tempted to drive it to the grocery store hoping the cops would TRY to pull me over. lets see if the crown vic can handle 100mph 10' jumps. very nice man can't wiat for more video.

Yep, Scottsdale az, home of the snooty bitches and great desert!

I dusted this thread off to post a link to race-dezert.com, where I have a thread going on my truck. This year has been a blast! While you are on rdc, go to the home page and check out some videos. I will be in some of them before too long...

http://www.race-dezert.com/forum/showthread.php?t=62194

Attachments

• DSC_8150.JPG
    DSC_8150.JPG
    230.2 KB · Views: 50
Last edited:
My race truck is in the November issue of Off Road magazine, and they are hitting news stands now. It is 5 pages long with 19 pictures! I thought better action shots were taken than what they used, but otherwise I can't complain!

Last edited:
Thats great, congrats on the magazine artical!!!

That is freaking sweet that they did an article on you and your truck. Congrats!!!!!!!

Back