My brand new V-one RR stalls when placed on the ground or brake applied

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

krserc

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
Hi Guys,
I need some help. I just bought a V-one RR. I also purchased an O.S. 12TR engine for it with a pilot shaft. I've just finished asembling the small beast and am trying to run in the engine for the first time. I am strating the car on my starter box and it starts just fine. All the throtle servos are in the correct position and the opening is about 1mm. Now the wheels are spinning as the engine is being run in. Now if I apply the brake using my controller the engine stops or stalls. If I take the car off the starter box and put it on the ground as soon s the tires reach the concrete the engine stalls. Can anyone help me figure out why this is happening. I wouldn't call myself an expert, but I am pretty good at assembling cars models etc, but I can't seem to fiure this one out. It might also help to know that the car only rols forward and can't roll backwards. It could be because of the front one way diff.
Thank very much for your help
Regards, Kris

Sounds like you need to bring up the idle a little bit. Also adjust your throttle trim. When you're not touching the radio at all, it's probably giving just a bit of gas, and that's enough to stay running (barely)..so when you hit the brake, it goes to the actual idle which isn't enough to run, and it dies....

So basically, just bring up your idle a little bit, then adjust the throttle trim so it's neutral to where the brake/throttle isn't engaged.

Hi kwong2001,
Thanks for your replay. I have tried that as well but no mater how much I incrasse the idle the car still stops once placed on the ground. Its almost as if as soon as the lod is put onto the tires or on the car the engine stalls. If I put the car on the ground and as I am putting it down give it a push and bit of gas it then takes off and is fine as long as I keep drinig it. As soon as I brake or I just want it simply to hold still it stalls. Its as if it can't stay still in ne spot on the ground and idle without stalling.

Are the wheels moving when you hold the car in the air? Could be your clutch engaging

Are you still in break-in or have you completed break-in?

Maybe try leaning out the LSN just a tiny bit, like 1/8 turn..could be just running rich and flooding the engine

I haven't broken the car in yet. I've only gone through 1.5 fuel tanks so far. The wheels spin when I hold car in the air or on the starter box. I have tried leaning out the mixture too, but not too much I don't want to fry the engine. Its a really weird issue

Well I can tell you that after the first few tanks when i'm breaking in a new engine, the engine will slowly start to be harder to keep running with the factory break-in settings.

Generally, I lean out the tank just a tad on each break in tank to keep it running. But I only lean it out enough to where it's barely running. You know how it's spidders and spadders and sounds all loaded up running ultra rich, that's the mixture I go for.

Okay, but why is the engine stalling when I put it onto the ground? Why can't I get it to stay still without rolling off or running away from me so I can tune all the settings? I have even leaned it out as much as 1/2 turn but that didn't help either

are you leaning the LSN or HSN? Cuz the HSN isn't gonna do anything for the idle

If you just installed a new mill with a pilot shaft, you may have overlooked one small detail,, your clutch springs, what you are describing is a classic example of what a car will do without clutch springs, or clutch springs that were not installed properly! Take off your clutch bell, if your clutch falls out in pieces you will know right away, re-install the springs and make sure both shoes have tension before you put the clutch bell back on, if your car rolls forward and not backward, your clutch shoes may be in an engaged position all the time, this will cause the car tires to spin in the air, but as soon as you set the car down it will stall!
If you have to give it a push and throttle at the same time to keep it moving that tells you the clutch is not working properly!
hope this helps! Good luck!

Last edited:
Thanks nitromaniac,

What you are describing sounds like exactly what is happening in my case. My clutch has 2 screws. One on each side. Its assembled as SCREW then COLLAR and then a 2 SPEED SPRING. The instructions says to screw in the screw until it reaches the collar and then unscrew 3 rounds as a standard position on both screws. then slide it onto the shaft and tighten into the flat spot with a set screw. Is that the part you are talking about??
I shall take it off tonight again and see if the screws got loose or fell out, but I would be surprised

Nitromaniac right on the money... definately an engaged clutch problem. I'm not familiar with that cb setup, but when the clutch is engaged, the tires will spin. When the tires are introduced to resistance, you will get the same effect as if you touched the flywheel. STALL immediately...

After some investigating, I believe your running an adjustable 3D Centax clutch. I would read up about maybe how it can be adjusted.

Last edited:
Thank you ImBroken, nitromaniac and kwong2001. Thanks everyone. I think I got more advice here than I do at the local hobby place. I now have a better understanding on how it all works. I think the screw has to be more tight in than I have it set to. I'll work on that first thing tonight when i get home from work. :thumbsup: :breakdown

If your idle is too high, then bring it down some, if your clutch is engaging too early, then you can adjust it since it is 3d(centax). The adjusting nut that holds the spring will need to be screwed in about a 1/8 of a turn. Maybe less depending on how you like it. Look over the instruction also to make sure you have everything installed correctly. I would also purchase a few extra adjusting nuts if you like to adjust your clutch frequently to your set up, those nuts wear out too much from time to time and won't lock.

Back