My T-Maxx keeps stalling when i apply brakes, please help!

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bill1964

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
Hi All,

I am new to this forum, and i just got my tmaxx 2 weeks ago. i have used a gallon of fuel. I did the break in, perfectly. the carb is tuned well. the linkages are fine. the problem started the other day. when i apply the brake, the engine speed goes way down and stalls right away. this happens after the thing is warmed up. it will work fine for 10 min or so, then the issue starts happening. if i put the idle high enough to keep it running with the brakes on, then when i release the brake, is revs too high. I called traxxas support and the rep said it might be the secondary clutch that is going. does anyone here know if thats the case, or has anyone had this happen and fixed it some other way???? could someone please help, this is very aggrevating to me? thankks all Bill

Hi All,

I am new to this forum, and i just got my tmaxx 2 weeks ago. i have used a gallon of fuel. I did the break in, perfectly. the carb is tuned well. the linkages are fine. the problem started the other day. when i apply the brake, the engine speed goes way down and stalls right away. this happens after the thing is warmed up. it will work fine for 10 min or so, then the issue starts happening. if i put the idle high enough to keep it running with the brakes on, then when i release the brake, is revs too high. I called traxxas support and the rep said it might be the secondary clutch that is going. does anyone here know if thats the case, or has anyone had this happen and fixed it some other way???? could someone please help, this is very aggrevating to me? thankks all Bill

I would first check the clutch, on the engine. Then if you have the means to do it, find out the temperature of the engine when the problem happens.

Sounds like the linkage is a little out of whack. I'd back the trim off a bit to make sure the barrel is returning to idle every time. Then adjust the idle screw with the brakes applied. Only adjust the carb settings when the engine is warm. If after backing the trim off, the carb barrel doesn't open all of the way, un-thread the ball cup on the small linkage until it does. Just make sure you have enough threads biting or the ball cup could fall off.

both guys have good tips. i would check the linkage first like matt said. with the truck on but not running, pull the air filter off and look down the carb. press the brakes and see if the opening in the carb closes all the way or not. it should have a small gap of about 1mm or so. if it is closing to far, yo uneed to adjust the idle screw. small increments until it stays open.

if this is not the case, i would guess you have a broken spring in the clutch. at low rpm the spring holds the clutch shoes in so they dont make contact with the bell, and allows the truck to idle without any drag. if this spring breaks, your shoes will rub the bell even at low RPM and will bog down the engine at idle, until it dies.

Hi All,

Well the carb was the problem, i adjusted the low idle with the brake on, to the 1mm gap as suggested and now its fine, thanks. But i am going crazy trying to find the "sweet spot" between rich and lean. this thing is kinda frustrating, considering that i have owned an electric tmaxx for a year, and never had to fiddle with it, like the nitro.......yes, i know, i have been told its part of the hobbie. this is all new to me, but i guess its just a matter of a learning curve to maintain these beasts good. excuse me now, i need to go take more aspirin ;)

When your trying to find the sweet spot the key is small adjustments then a high speed run then small adjustment high speed run ect. We are talking 1/16 of a turn at a time.