Mugen MBX5 Prospec Thread :)

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well I have the MBX5 but I am upgrading the towers to prospec front and rear. Added the Rear aluminum rear chassis brace along with the prospec front and rear brace. I will post up as soon as I get a decent camera. I am going to run a Ofna 8 port 21 soon but I need a reciever.

Cool thread

Jon

I've not broken anything on miy prospec, normal wear and tear it just doesn't seem to break, skymaxx breaks what he break because of how he disrespects his cars, but hes lucky there mugens or there would likly not be to much left of them, they seem to handle some pretty extreme wheather conditions, like racing in the mud, to the point were the car really isnt visable, i broke heaps of shock shafts on my kyoshos I've owned just because the car gets to heavy and the shafts werent up to it, but not with the mugen, as far as spares go i would probably just keep spare lower arms and shock shafts, and of coarse bearings in case you get a sease

Well I have only broke front A-arms and that was in a head on crash at full speed. In my pit box I always have a few extras because it seems that on my Kanai and Prospec that is what goes most of the time. Also a few extra hinge pin bushings the hole starts to get bigger with time. The CB bearings use to go bad fast but when I got the prospec engine mount it solved that problem. Other than that I think the Mugen holds up better than the K car did.

I know a few people that use it on the Kanai and the like it. I have yet toe hear or see anything bad about it but never used it myself.

mikeburgin said:
I've not broken anything on miy prospec, normal wear and tear it just doesn't seem to break, skymaxx breaks what he break because of how he disrespects his cars, but hes lucky there mugens or there would likly not be to much left of them, ... as far as spares go i would probably just keep spare lower arms and shock shafts, and of coarse bearings in case you get a sease

One, I do not disrespect my buggies. I drive them to the extreme. If I disrespected them, I would be throwing them off of buildings, at walls, or just plain tearing them apart. After I drive my buggies, they get a serious bath and a hardcore once over with all the TLC a quality buggy needs. Just because I am not a racer does not mean I abuse my rides. I am a self proclaimed basher and buy RCs that I know can handle my driving preference.

Two, luck has nothing to do with it. I bought the MBX-5 because my research here and elsewhere indicated that it was one of (if not) the best buggies on the market. It was fast, ruggid, and handled great. The fact that they are in the shape they are in is both a testament to their design and toughness as much as it is with my abilities to control them in flight and where-ever I drive them.

As for the recommendation for spare parts you have offered, it seems to mirror my own.

So, you'll have to pardon me if this seems a bit defensive...but I take a little bit of offense when someone who doesn't really know me, never has bashed with me, nor knows the condition of my rides says that I disrespect my RCs.

Ask anyone who has purchased one from me, and they'll tell you that despite my driving the rides they purchased were in near mint condition. Ask anyone who bashes with me, how my rides show up each day and what they look like the second day of a bash. They'll tell you they look like they just came off the shelf for both days. Clean as a whistle and ready to rock.

I am certain you were not intending any disrespect to me, but that is how it came across. Choose your words wisely.

Just for your benefit, you might want to read the middle paragraph in this post (made earlier today. CLICK HERE

geeeez skymaxx your a touchy bugger, i wasn't having a go at you or the way you drive or what you do with your cars, i was meerly saying thatr what you do with your cars is very xtreme compaired to what most others would put there rcs through, specially if there only racing, it was not a go at you personely, take a stress pill

Fair enough and thanks for the clarification.

As I said, "I am certain you were not intending any disrespect to me, but that is how it came across. Choose your words wisely."

And now back to your regularly scheduled, discussion....

man i have everythign together but no diffs in it I'm waiting for new orings to come :(

crzy-svg-usr said:
man i have everythign together but no diffs in it I'm waiting for new orings to come :(

I hear the diffs have weak o rings. Is this a real problem? What is needed to fix this? SOmeone make better diff rings?

Very interested in this

Jon

crzy-svg-usr said:
What o-rings are you waiting for, the seals or the o-rings for the spider gears

the seals i belive mike, most guys in the states dont use the orings behind the gears.

CorradoPsi said:
the seals i belive mike, most guys in the states dont use the orings behind the gears.
Nah nore do we thats why i asked

no the ones that go under the big gears to seal the diff so the oil doesn't leak out. i dont use the small orings behind the spiders. the stock ones everyone said is too small so for 5 bucks thought id just stop the problem before it even happend

crzy-svg-usr said:
no the ones that go under the big gears to seal the diff so the oil doesn't leak out. i dont use the small orings behind the spiders. the stock ones everyone said is too small so for 5 bucks thought id just stop the problem before it even happend
Fair enough, I'm running the standards and havent had any trouble yet

I got my diff orings from mcmaster. I got 50 of them for $8. Shipping was super fast (as always). Also, make sure to use some quality grease on the o-rings so you don't tear them upon installation. I use $3 can of belray grease sold in your local motorcross shop. It's formulated in such a way that it won't cause the o-rings to swell. I use it for all my RC needs and I'll never ever ever use the whole can.

This is how I built my diffs and they have yet to leak.

Oh yeah, CorradoPsi is right. No one who is anyone puts in the small orings that are supposed to go on the four small spider gears. Those orings don't seal anything and just add extra resistence to the feel of the diff (like using higher weight oil).

Last edited:
bigfreak said:
I got my diff orings from mcmaster. I got 50 of them for $8. Shipping was super fast (as always). Also, make sure to use some quality grease on the o-rings so you don't tear them upon installation. I use $3 can of belray grease sold in your local motorcross shop. It's formulated in such a way that it won't cause the o-rings to swell. I use it for all my RC needs and I'll never ever ever use the whole can.

Oh yeah, CorradoPsi is right. No one who is anyone puts in the small orings that are supposed to go on the four small spider gears. Those orings don't seal anything and just add extra resistence to the feel of the diff (like using higher weight oil).
Can you supply me the part number?

bigfreak said:

there sposed to add 1000# per o-ring but they wear reall fast so you difs never stay the same from run to run

Back