Motor help.

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Domijan91

RCTalk Basher
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Hey guys I need some help with my brushed motor. I know I'm gonna catch some crap for still running a brushed motor. I have a 16T motor. I have just recently picked the RC hobby back up and have been tinkering with my car everyday since. I just recently replaced the brushes on the car as one of them burnt off. I talk to the guy at the hobby shop and he said it will run a little hot till the brushes fully break/wear in, which it has, really hot! That brings me to my question. I think that the motor running so hot melted one of my power wires going to the motor. Either that or just because it's 8+ years old it finally broke. Never the less I want to fix it. Do I need to release the old solder on that spade or can I just use the other on on the other side? Pics supplied. Now I know I have to keep the red on the one side and the black on the other but can I use either spade on the two side? ImageUploadedByTapatalk1349718501.967725.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1349718573.380570.jpg

Nothing wrong with running brushed for certain applications.
Yes you can use either as long as you don't reverse the polarity.

If you can't touch the motor for 5 seconds, it's too hot. Drop a tooth or two on the pinion to remedy this.

If you can't touch the motor for 5 seconds, it's too hot. Drop a tooth or two on the pinion to remedy this.

Thanks. I started our with a pretty small tooth and gradually working bigger to try to help like u mentioned. Thanks for the advice.

---------- Post added at 2:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 2:41 PM ----------

Nothing wrong with running brushed for certain applications.
Yes you can use either as long as you don't reverse the polarity.

How do I figure out/ know which one to use so that it won't reverse the polarity?
Meter?

Okay so I've been messing with my motor and I've figured out that:
A- if I let the car sit with the battery connected and the power on the motor will just continue to get hot. B- when I pull the trigger on the remote the motor just hums, if I manually spin the motor it will continue to spin but if I go to fast or stop pulling the trigger it stops again!
Has anyone ever had this problem? Does anyone know what's going on? Am I just witnessing my motor die a slow death?
Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

I'd replace it. What vehicle do you have? It may be time to go brushless.

I'd replace it. What vehicle do you have? It may be time to go brushless.

I have a traxxas stampede two wheel drive. I've been thinking about going brushless because traxxas has a setup at my local hobby shop for $170 that comes with new waterproof servo and waterproof brushless motor! I was just wondering if there's any saving my motor now? If it comes down to it and I have to buy a new motor, I have already decided to go brushless. I would just really like to save this motor if possible for as long as possible as I have a family an bills and so it takes a bit of time or me to get money for my hobby!