More Q's

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tarant

Hardcore RCTalk User
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
Okay I think my memory is correct but I am not 100%, Will going down in teeth on the pinion have the same affect as going up in teeth on a spur. Second is going down 2 teeth on the pinion the same as going up 2 teeth on the spur, and if not what is the equivalent.

And lastly what is a hot motor. A guy told me that a brushless is hot at 165deg, I dont think that is true but wouldnt a brushed be hotter. So is there a ballpark figure on how hot motors should be.

Thanks

Can't give any info on motor temp.
But gearing is as you said. Increasing the size of the pinion has a similar effect as reducing the size of the spur. However, they are not exact. In a typical setup, the pinion is smaller than the spur. Therefore, changing one tooth on the pinion has a much greater effect on ratio than does changing one tooth on the spur.
Example:
Starting ratio: 20T pinion and 50T spur= 2.5 ratio
1 tooth up on pinion: 21T pinion, 50T spur= 2.38 ratio
1 tooth down on spur: 20T pinion, 49T spur= 2.45 ratio

So you can see changing one tooth on the pinion has a greater effect.

Wow... good info. Thanks Candyman.

Tom

Yeah totally that helps a lot,

Anyone have any clue on the motor temp.

If you're getting up to those temps on an electric motor, something is seriously wrong. I've never measured the temps on my motors, but I know that much heat could lead to all kinds of issues.

brushed temp keep it under 180
brushless under 140 for non-sintered rotor and under 160 for sintered rotor.

Ok... next question.. what is a sintered, and non sintered motor? Thanks guys.

Tom

Back