More PC questions

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Plaidfish

RCTalk VIP
Supporter
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
But this is a fun one....
I have a new PC/speakers/wireless keyboard and trackball (yes I like those freakin things, sue me)....it has some sort of 128mb video card (ATI I think)..not sure yet, but it does have a DVI out plug.....I ordered 2 32" LCDs and I want to make this my office & media center in my room....the PC has PCI express slots ( I think the vid card is on one already )...I'm looking online for a good sound card that is at least 5.1 for the speakers (logitech Z540 set)...all I find is PCI cards (1st question is will those work in a PCI-e slot?)...I want to run my cable TV through my PC as well as the Game systems....What hardware do I need to bring the Cable signal in and be able to view it as a window or full screen AND have a remote control for the cable setup?
Now I found 2 PCI-e 1gib video cards for 160 shipped for both..I know I will need those for the dual displays...I looked for a dual DVI card and these will cost less and deliver the performance I want and they will be a matched set to ease the dual display install.....but I'm not sure how the TV cards work....I heard I could get an internal cable card but the only ones I see are for media center or vista only....anyone know this stuff and able to help?

I've got Vista with the OEM Windows Media Center with the wireless remote, and the logitech 5.1 which has the wired remote. The computer came with the surround card installed.
All I had to do for the Media center was give it a cable in. Not only do you get TV, but you get internet TV and downloadable movies. It's also a Tivo setup where you can watch, pause or go back during play and I believe it will store 350 hours of video recordings.
I really don't know if media center is available for anything other than Vista.

You need to check out Hauppague (sp?) for sound and video cards and drivers. http://www.hauppauge.com/pages/support/support_pvr150.html

Last edited:
I know alot of the products out now are very dependent on Vista...I'd really like to keep XP but if the good stuff only works w/ vista I may upgrade to keep up with the jonses.....

(Breaking this one apart and answering inline)

But this is a fun one....
I have a new PC/speakers/wireless keyboard and trackball (yes I like those freakin things, sue me)....it has some sort of 128mb video card (ATI I think)..not sure yet, but it does have a DVI out plug.....I ordered 2 32" LCDs and I want to make this my office & media center in my room....the PC has PCI express slots ( I think the vid card is on one already )...I'm looking online for a good sound card that is at least 5.1 for the speakers (logitech Z540 set)...all I find is PCI cards (1st question is will those work in a PCI-e slot?)

No, since PCI is shaped slightly different than PCI-E. However, you have a few options....

For $70 or so, Creative has a 5.1 surround card that's not too bad:
http://us.creative.com/products/product.asp?category=209&subcategory=669&product=16770

Here's a higher priced one: http://www.directron.com/xonard2x.html ($175)

Personally, I'd go the Creative, but the Asus card isn't half bad either.
...I want to run my cable TV through my PC as well as the Game systems....What hardware do I need to bring the Cable signal in and be able to view it as a window or full screen AND have a remote control for the cable setup?

You'll need a couple things. One being a TV tuner card of some sort.

There's a bunch; pick your poison:
http://www.nextag.com/pcie-tv-tuner/search-html

Now I found 2 PCI-e 1gib video cards for 160 shipped for both..I know I will need those for the dual displays...I looked for a dual DVI card and these will cost less and deliver the performance I want and they will be a matched set to ease the dual display install.....but I'm not sure how the TV cards work....I heard I could get an internal cable card but the only ones I see are for media center or vista only....anyone know this stuff and able to help?

The easiest way is to look for a dual head video card, somethin like this guy right here:

http://www.novatech.co.uk/novatech/specpage.html?NOV-86GT1

Just connect your monitors as usual.

Now, as for the TV-in aspect; it's all done in software, somewhat like DVD.

Now, for the remote control, there are a bunch of options.
http://www.buy.com/prod/pinnacle-pctv-hd-pro-stick-tv-tuner-usb-atsc-ntsc/q/loc/101/203105224.html

Lastly, you can use all of this under Windows XP Media Center Edition. MCE is basically Windows XP Pro with a fancy interface and one additional color scheme.

I use the setup you are planning, in general, just with one monitor (not enough desk space and too lazy to set up a second monitor).

If you don't want to get away from XP try looking for Media Center Edition 2005. It's the XP equivalent of Vista Home Premium or Vista Ultimate. It's based on Windows XP SP2.

ALright
hunted for a while last night and got a few more Idunno stupid questions to ask......

that creative labs card is the one I've been looking at already....I think it's now my choice to go with....I'm not doing some Bose theater sound setup just a decent surround sound for my bedroom....

this is the graphics card I ordered already....I got 2 for the dual display...I know there are dual head cards but I wanted a little more flexibility as far as gaming from one card and boob tubing the other one...I had a dual head card (matrox millenium) along time ago and remember when I wanted to do 2 different types of display (like when the game wants to run in it's own window) it would turn the 2nd display off....I read you will have more options if you run 2 identical cards....the configuring is supposed to be a little more of a PITA but I don't see how....you still go to display properties to configure it.......

the capture cards are a bit confusing to me......I was under the impression that I could get a cable box PCI-e card and eliminate my cable box altogether.....I think I still need the box from what I'M FINDING.....oops cap lock....and the remote should be part of the capture card package right? what was this for:
http://www.buy.com/prod/pinnacle-pct...203105224.html
if it comes with the card do I still need one to control PC features or am I looking deeper than I need to........can anyone recommend a card that will take my cable signal into the PC w/ remote and DVR features? or any combination of cards that will accomplish that task.....I have 6 free PCI-e slots......nothing in the ridiculous price range please...I've given myself a budget of 1500 and the TVs ate 1000 and the vid cards/speakers/keyboard/trackball ate up another 300 already....I'd like to keep my budget intact and still get teh capture and sound cards still.....

Hamz I'd rather not upgrade my OS right now since I just got these new PCs setup the way I like (except these options I'm doing now).....but if it's an easy upgrade and makes this whole process easier I will.....
thanks for the links and suggestions guys...I'm way too critical when I shop for stuff....I just don't want to buy crap and then find out it's not just crap, it's the dumping ground of crap.....

I would advise against the cable card setup. Every review I've seen on them has terrible troubles setting them up.

About the only other option you can go is USB, but you will be limited by quality there. Otherwise, it looks like you have everything pretty much nailed down pat.

As for the signal feed... There's a strong chance, unless it's Digital-ready, that you'll still need the cable box.

I did some more checking on the Media Center 2008 and it's effectively just an add-on for XP. So if you upgraded it wouldn't really do anything with the OS you're currently running.

Back