Main gear problems

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rusty1103

RCTalk Rookie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
I have got a problem with my main gear, it keeps on getting striped, it is a hsp 1/10 truck. The gear on it was metal and lost a couple of teeth on it so I got a replacement. The only ones I can find are plastic and they strip really easily, I don't know what is wrong with it, I have went through 3 already, only run the truck around 4 times. Any ideas?

Cheers

Rusty

Not familiar with your vehicle, but am wondering if you set your gear mesh right.

Are the engine mount and motor mount screws lock-tited in place?

How much did you - or has it been run with the metal gear?
If a lot, that may have damaged the remaining gear to where it's eating up the new plastic.
Is this something that you bought new or used?

Last edited:
my guess would be your gear mesh is wrong. my old jato, after i replaced the tansmission housing cause i broke it, kept buring threw spur gears and after i read how to set mesh i replaced the spur again and reset the mesh and TA DA no more strippped spurs

Very few people are familiar with the model lol, I got the truck used, don't know how long the metal gear was used. The full gear box was replaced before I got it All the screw have got lock tight on them, so I think it might be the gear mesh. I will have a look and see how to do it, When the car is at idle should the clutch bell rotate, I am new to nitro and don't know a lot about how the engine works. I think I might got to the lhs and get them to see if they know what it is as well or show me hands on how to set the gear mesh.

The clutch-bell at idle really shouldn't be rotating.
All things being right, the engines idle speed can be set low enough for it to idle and the clutch to be disengaged enough for the truck to stay put in place.
Yeah, if you pick it up, the tires may rotate at an easy pace, but that's with no load.

Personally, given your description and that it's used, I'd put on a new clutch-bell and spur gear.
I'd also give the clutch shoes, springs, and clutch bearings a good look over - expecting to replace the bearings and hoping to do nothing but clean the shoes.

Bearings are cheap to replace and sloppy/shot bearings can introduce or negatively impact some of the issues you're experiencing.

thanks, got it out today and installed the new gear and set up the gear mesh. got the needle settings back to stock and the engine runs nicely at idle, doesn't seem to want to cut out or any need to blip the throttle, clutch bell does not move so all seems to be in running order. that was more of a general enquiry than a problem but thank you for the advice, i took it to bits and it was all looking very good clean and tight. the bearings feel really nice and smooth when turning them with my fingers. The ground wasn't in the best of conditions for a full run and it was really cold outside so i didnt want to tune it in the cold then try and re-tune it. i'll wait for a nice day and take it from there. what i have learnt so far from this hobby is that patience is what you need :D will keep you updated