lunk head

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Woolfe

RCTalk Basher
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
30+ years of mucking around with nitro and I do this! Just finished running in a new engine. Did a jump and noticed a slight change in the sound of the engine. Did nothing and kept bashing. The sound change was caused bi the air cleaner popping off. Sucked in a beach worth of sand and dust. DOOOOOOOOOHHH! And I think I can give other people advice!!

It runs surprisingly but has next to no compression. I like the look of the pipe clamps. will have to do that on all my cars!

Always use zip ties. It just popped off. You know in the back of your head you think "that sounds like" but then ignore it. Nice jump through.

That was a lesson I learned from watching somebody else do that exact thing.
"Does that engine sound different to you?" Yup, you better check it. Na, it'll be fine.
We where running in fine dry sand & marl, and he had just topped the tank off.
Killed that P/S, and I learned a lesson without paying the price!

I did have one have the filter neck rip on me and suck 10lbs of sand down the carb, but it didn't sound any different after the rip in the filter neck.
That one did cost me an engine.

You can't foresee everything though, if you could the lotto would in trouble!

Off to the lhs tomorrow. I told them what happened and they took pity on me and said they would give me a huge $8.00 off a replacement engine. The piston and sleeve costing $40 less than a new engine. Plus the bearings have been exposed to sand. My lhs is so understanding.

Yah, after all the sand gone through there it's not worth trying save $40, a good set of bearings will cost you that much.
The upside is you have a spare carb, back plate, head & crankcase in the parts box once you give them a good cleaning.

got the new engine run in. note the clamp on the air filter. good tip WoodiE.
2014-10-08 11.10.40.jpg

Looks good. Now clean that air filter. ;)

Back