losi night crawler

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aaronlnc

RCTalk Member
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
hi everyone..just got first crawler today and went with the LNC... am definately wanting to do some upgdes..any ideas? i know the steering servo NEEDS to be replaced..i dont know why they would put such a weak one on to begin with.. I'm brand new at this and know its no good..anyway as far as tire weights and how much..motors..batts? you tell me..i havent a clue, i hear everyone talkin about em but never used em. any info and ideas as far as improvin articulation, climbing, anything would be great. :) i posted pictures in te picture album..I'm impressed for a stock rig..but what do i know..lol

Servo for sure. Need to try and get something with around 300+ oz or alot more.

Congrats on the new rig, For weight in the wheels I would try to stay as lite as you can, start with 4oz. of lead stick on tire weights on each front wheel, you can usually get these at a tire shop, I brought one of my wheels with me so they could see what i was using them for and got the weights for free. I would put nothing in the rear wheels for now and use that as a starting point, you can then add or remove weight as needed, as for a better motor I would try the Traxxas 550 21t motors they seem to work pretty well or for better performance and run time I would look into a brushless setup like the Novak Goat 3s with a 18.5 motor combo, for batteries the 1500mah 3 cell Mystery Lipo batteries are a steal on Ebay.

awsome thank you guys i will start with that for sure..and would putting taller tires help or hurt? and if so what do you recomend for me? and do i put the weights under the foam inside the tire?

The weights are usually attached to the rim of the truck.

Yes the lead stick on weights get wrapped around the wheel then the tire and foam go on as usual, As for tires, a taller one will give you more axle clearance as well as more of what we call belly clearance, both of what generally are a good thing. You just don't want to get the bell of a shaft driven mainly but any crawler for that matter to high up because it will make you top heavy and your rig will not crawl as well specially on side hill stuff. One thing you want to do with crawlers is keep your center of gravity as low as you can, things that help with this is placing your electronics on the upper links or front or rear axle.

what tires do you recomend? i kinda like the way these look.. Pro-Line Hammer 2.2 G8 Memory Foam... look like they would perform well..but i want somethin a bit taller than the rock claws for a little more belly clearance. also i was lookin at ...Hitec HS-7950TH Mega Torque Ti Gear Digital Dual BB...SPECS: Size: 1.57 x 0.79 x 1.50" (40 x 20 x 38mm)
Weight: 2.40oz (68g)
6.0V 7.4V
Speed: 0.15 sec 0.13 sec
Torque: 403 oz/in 486 oz/in
Drivetrain Type: Dual ball bearing

do you think this a good combo? if not any recomendations?
so far it seems like a pretty capable crawler but the steerin servo is garbage..so i want these two things to be the first upgrade...thanks for all the help :D

The 7950TH is what I use in my Losi and Axial. I a sold on the speed and torque it has especially at 7.2v.

If want taller tires, then you should look at the Hot Bodies Rovers in the White compund. The stock foam isn't the best though. Adding the ProLine 2-stage foams is a good foam to try out. There are others, but the ProLine is readily available.

ok..so i got a set of the rovers and the foam that came with em seems like its too small...the tire has play between it and the foam insert..is this normal? or will the pro-line inserts fill in the tire better? i dont like how the tire wrinkles on top when its rolling....also if i get the :Hitec HS-7954SH High Voltage Ultra Torque Dual BB Servo: can i just install and go?

Last edited:
You can try different foam setups in your tire and wheel combo, I would stay away from memory foam because it is greatly effected by the weather, if it is cold the memory foams will get real stiff and in super cold areas can freeze, in the hot they are just the opposite, I have been running a stock rover foam in the front and a rover with a extra 1/2 of a rover foam wrapped around that in the rear so the rear tires are a little firmer, As for your servo you will need a external BEC like the Castle Creations BEC to power the servo of you will not get the performance out of it that you want and it will draw so much power that your receiver won't get enough power and you will have glitching problems...

ok..and if i go with the Novak Rooster ESC Crawler Edition with 45t Motor or Novak Goat Crawler System whic is brushless then i dont need another bec right? and which is recommended? i was also lookin at the xcelorin kit..i kinda like the way it looks and sounds like a good setup http://www.losi.com/Products/Default.aspx?ProdID=LOSB9576.
i just dont know what to get as far as the 4800, 6400, 7500 kv or what that means.. I'm assuming power so the 7500 would be better?

My son finally got his LNC on Friday for his birthday.

I swapped out the tires/wheels, RC/TX, steering servo for a 7955 and the plastic steering tie rods with the aluminum ones from my LCC.

I threw on a 2S lipo and took it for a spin this afternoon. First thing I notice is how slow it is. Painfully slow. It also does not take much to stall it either. I know it's not for me, but the stall is just unbearable. Looks like the motor and ESC is fixing to be swapped for something else as well.

I wonder if I can shoe horn a puller in there. LOL

Well they are shoe horning traxxas 550 motors in them with a few small mods so it could be possible rob, but most people are having better luck with brushless setups in the losi's, the brushed motors keep burning up if your not real careful, I know one guy that has a MOA conversion with dual brushless motors in his.

I would go with the Novack also. I installed the 17.5 turn in MRC and really like it.

I don't like Novak and won't even consider the Goat setup.

I am going to let my kid run it as is and see if he complains. Comparing his stock LNC to my LCC simply isn't fair.

If I do need to upgrade, I will probably give the 17.5 or 21.5 Xcelorin a try.

I don't like Novak and won't even consider the Goat setup.

I am going to let my kid run it as is and see if he complains. Comparing his stock LNC to my LCC simply isn't fair.

If I do need to upgrade, I will probably give the 17.5 or 21.5 Xcelorin a try.

x2, piss on Novak. :hehe:

bec?

i got the hitek 7954sh servo..is this what i need for it to run at full power?

Castle Creations BEC 10A Switching Regulator

SPECS: Length: 1.2" (30mm)
Width: .6" (15mm)
Height: .4" (10mm)
Weight: .4oz (11g)
Input voltage: 5V to 25.2V (2S to 6S LiPo)
Current output: 10A Peak
Selectable Output: 4.8 - 9.0V

thanks robmob :D ...and i want to get a vw baja body but dont want to paint it..does anyone sell em pre painted?

Back