Looking to get a new 1/8th buggy

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jburke187

RCTalk Basher
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
I was looking at getting an ofna, or a duratrax 835b not really sure which one i am still a new so i don't want to break the bank parts are easy to get for both and the duratrax is only 349 rtr not bad i thought. If anyone has expierence with these brands please tell me what you think. I have heard a lot of bad stuff about the duratrax but i am not out there to win races, just to muck about with them and have fun. at the moment i am leaning more towards the duratrax everything i would need for it parts and what not are all at towerhobbies.

---------- Post added at 5:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 5:06 PM ----------

the link for the duratrax is
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXCAUFBB&P=0

the link for the ofna is
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXRUS1&P=0

both of them are fairly cheap so that is nice

Last edited:
I'd go for the Ofna, they make a great RTR buggy.

Duratrax doesn't have a good record for making great cars in past years.

I was looking at the ofna hyper 7 HoBao it is only 299. But like i said I am a newb and I know little to nothing about them do you know if it is a good buggy or should i spring for the next model up?

i will look at that one too, how much do they typically cost?

I am looking to spend somewhere in the nature of 300 to 370. I don't know much about any brands so is the kyosho a better car? i found a inferno neo race spec for 369....is it worth the extra money.

I'm new and purchased lx2 myself, its very tough I would say trash servos though mine went bad right after break in and crashed buggy in to brick wall only broke a arm, its a tough buggy

From what I understand now, the Ofna comes with cheap servos.

Kyosho has won more championships but they are like owning a Ferrari, $$$

IMO the HPI buggy looks like a fine choice since parts can be had at just about any hobby shop for a good price. Not to mention HPI had excellent customer service if something goes wrong.

Sorry if it's overwhelming you man. There are a lot of options out there but researching what RC to get will help you have a good experience and not have you get discouraged and give up, y'know?

The HPI Trophy buggy again is a great choice for a reliable RC.

Best bet is to sleep on it though.

amen

i am leaning more towards the hpi but it is at the upper end of the price range. especially still having to buy fuel and what not

If you want a prayer of be competitive while racing I would go with the Kyosho Inferno NEO race spec. Its not Kyoshos best racing class buggy but its one of the better ones in your price range.
http://www.nitrohouse.com/Kyosho-Inferno-NEO-18-Buggy-Race-Spec-Ready-to-Run_p_3658.html

If you dont care about racing and just want to bash around on a track then pretty much any of the buggies listed here so far are just fine for that. I did however find a website that has even better prices on the Hyper 7 and the Ultra LX2. Personally between the two OFNA buggies Id go for the LX2 because its newer. The Hyper 7 will most likely get discontinued before the LX2. In fact I could swear I read somewhere before that the LX2 was supposed to replace the Hyper 7 but I can't swear to that. Anyway check out this site for better OFNA prices:
http://www.nitrohouse.com/Nitro-18-Buggies_c_518.html

As for servos and engines. You typically always get crappy servos in cheaper RTRs and the engines, while being fine, typically arent in the top of the engine game either but I wouldnt spend $300 bucks putting a great powerplant in a $300 buggy. I would be prepaired to change servos out on the OFNA though....maybe not right away but I would be prepared to do it a little ways down the line.

Last edited:
If i were you I would pick the above in this order: HPI, OFNA, DURATRAX. I pick DURATRAX last because they've been out of the nitro game for awhile and its too new to get a verdict on. The OFNA is the middle choice because they make very good engines but the servos were junk in my OFNA dm1 spec. The HPI is the first choice for a couple of reasons. The engine is a proven one because its been in the savage forever. The servos are decent with mixed reviews and are better quality than the other brands. Last but not least you get very good customer service(some will disagree) and you get a two year warranty that covers everything. So if you add up the cost of new servos in the OFNA which is about 80 bucks you're somewhat in the neighborhood of the hpi. Good luck and let us know which you choose.

I looked at the kyosho and i am torn between the race spec and the hpi trophy 3.5 the kyosho is cheaper but the parts are less accessible. I havent seen much that needs to be changed right away like the ofna on either of the buggies. if there are any issues with them i would like to know, if anyone knows of any.

I found a thundertiger eb-4 s2.5 are those any good compared to the kyosho and hpi? it is only 329

You really can't go wrong with HPI or the Kyosho if your bashing or a fledgling racer. Your gonna wanna replace the servo in any RTR even if its a $700 Losi 8ight eventually. I have yet to see a stock servo that was worth a crap. I wont say they dont exist but most stock RTRs have crappy servos (although some are worse than others).

HPI or Kyosho > Thundertiger

thanks man i think i have been swayed toward the kyosho race spec more so than the hpi. the price is right on the money and it comes with a pretty good setup from what i have been reading. my next question would be about the receiver are the kyosho's good or should buy a different one? it comes with the Stylish FHSS 2.4GHz, will that work if i go to the track here in town and want to drive without having to worry about interference?

Last edited:
Back