Looking for long driving tips

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think I may just go that route. I have been thinking of getting one for some time now. $150 is incredibly cheap. My co-worker paid about $400 for her Garmin.

I think there was a GPS thread a few months back...I'll have to search on that one and see what you guys recommended.

If you think a hefty meal will help out, you'd be wrong. The more you eat, the sleepier you'll get, since a great deal of blood flow is now working in your stomach instead of your brain.
Energy drinks and protein snacks, candy bars and crackers.
Drive safely. Take a break BEFORE you start feeling tired. People that push past that safe point are the ones that nod out behind the wheel.
On your return trip, don't go past 2 hours of driving without stopping and walking around.

Got my garmin nuvi 200, with 2 power chords and mounts (police car, explorer) for $200.

Thank you very much for the advice Rolex. I'll be packing beef jerky, crackers, salami and cheese. The cheese should bind me up so I won't have to hunt for Indian TP on the side of the highway.

I'm going to play it safe and add a couple hours to the trip for stops. The more I think about, even if I rushed it I won't get back home in time to see the kids before bed anyway (they sleep at 7PM). The nice thing is, the new rig has a queen size bed in the back so I can catch a few zzzzs at a rest stop if needed.

I got the TomTom One XL for 249 about a year ago. It's already paid for itself with the amount of gas I've saved by not making endless U-turns. It's also taught me shortcuts that I would never have thought to try on my own.

Woodie can you post a link to the GPS software? I'd like to learn more about it.

Sweetdiesel,

I have Delorme Street Atlas with a USB GPS receive that came included. $69.99 from Delorme or you can pick it up at Circuit City and and I'm sure at Best Buy also for $69.99.

I've used it a number of times and thought it to be a pretty nice setup when it's just me in the car as I can just put the laptop in the front seat and have a huge 16" map display compared to the small 2-3" handheld displays as well as voice and all the other cool stuff it does. Plus I can always minimize Street Atlas and hop online if there is a free wifi where ever I stop.

-Michael

I once Drove from Savannah, Ga to Ardmore, Ok in 21 hours non stop. Once I got to friends house though I crashed like a toddler coming off a sugar high. If you have a Garmin GPS I believe the laptop software is free on there site.

I'm trying to make a decision and both options look great. A handheld unit I would use on a daily basis but the laptop software/usb unit is much more affordable, just not as portable. Tough call.

I like the portable, just because you can slip it into your overnight bag, and if you wana go run somewhere with someone in another vehicle, you can just slip it in your pocket.

Last edited:
Yes, its a few bucks a month.

I believe they give you a month subscription for the "Traffic" feature free...

sweetdiesel,

Honestly if you can get a good deal on a portable I'd go with that. I had to spend a week in Hartford, CT a few months back for work. I had to rent a portable GPS from the car rental. A portable would be nice to go from car to car with ease and is a little more easy to stash away then a laptop.

I really like the larger display and the other functions of a laptop all within a reach of the arm but a portable would be nice to have as well - especially if there was someone riding with me.

-Michael

Looks like the GPS is too late to get for this trip, just ordered the C550. BIG THANK YOU to all for all the great tips, I'll be thinking of RCNT when I'm on the road.

Off to bed, ya'll have a great weekend. :cheers:

Last edited:
Safe Trip bro. Call me anytime if you want to chat to stay awake or whatever. You have my number.

Forget all the Bull and Be a ROCKSTAR!!

Let me correct myself the laptop software is free if you are running a Garmin gps it wont work with just a usb or bluetooth reciever. I have a Garmin gpsmap 60csx its the top of the line handheld. I do a lot of hiking and Geocaching. Some of you might find geocaching interesting you can check it out at www.geocaching.com its a great way to spend the day with the wife and kids if you like the outdoors. Now that I derailed the topic I will exit.

Wow I;ve never heard of that. If I can ever get some spare time, I may give it a try. I'm into treasure hunting, and I love to go exploring with a metal detector, as we find quite a few civil war relics in our area most of the time when we go out. This looks like a fun alternative, and I was shocked to find that there is a ton of activity going on in my small little city and in Louisiana.

just got back from geocaching before popping on here actually! only been doing it about a week but absolutly love it.