Looking for advice in building a work bench

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, it is 1/4 in thick. The lower shelf is 5/8" thick which would have been nice for the top, but the center cross support might not be able to hold up the weight.

"Looks up".....Ceiling tiles look like it would fit the bench nicely. Now I just have to figure out how to get some out to the car without somebody noticing LOL.

My ol lady still thinks she should be able to buy a pair of tennis shoes for 10 bucks. Guess that tells my age a bit. She was looking through a tower catalog. Saw the Savage.... "$400 is a lot of money for one of those cars!" I had mine for about a month at the time. Should have heard her when I bought my little 3-cyl Saito. Guess I do need a keeper sometimes. :shrug:

That doesn't bother me too bad. Past few days she has been raggin' about getting married. Hell, we've just been living together fo 16yrs!

I'm looking to fill a 12' span of wall w/ a bench.....those look really nice...what's the depth on it? I wanted 20" minimum so I can have a little room for big engines and the table will cover my A/C and other heavy ...and I might just make my bench w/ 2x4s and some 3/4" Birch ply I have laying around......can you buy just the back splash shelf thing? I like the functionality of that.....and for the work space, I find it good to have a section like 2' x 2' covered w/ that thin low pyle carpet....soaks up oil spills quick and gives good work surface for those lil pins and clips when they fall they don't bounce....you can just staple it down and replace it as needed...stuff is cheap when you buy the sample sections from Home Depot......

Mine are only 4 feet long, Again I come up short!
3 benches lined up would fill your 12' wall. The depth on mine are 24". Under my bench I have some black Puzzle mats made of some kind of dense foam rubber, yet another Costco find. They come in 2x2 squares that fit together in whatever configuration you want. I think 6 mats in a package were 19.99

digger said:
My ol lady still thinks she should be able to buy a pair of tennis shoes for 10 bucks. Guess that tells my age a bit. She was looking through a tower catalog. Saw the Savage.... "$400 is a lot of money for one of those cars!" I had mine for about a month at the time. Should have heard her when I bought my little 3-cyl Saito. Guess I do need a keeper sometimes. :shrug:

That doesn't bother me too bad. Past few days she has been raggin' about getting married. Hell, we've just been living together fo 16yrs!

Ahh... I get it... the President and CEO gotcha... got it "The Boss" . LOL Sometimes I can be dense!

One thing I have going for me with my future President and CEO, (The position has closed, just waiting on the paper work to go through) is that she doesn't mind if things cost alot, as long as it doesn't interfere with anything else. She never complains at how much my toys cost... of course I can't say a word when she buys $108 worth of Yankee candles. It's a give an take...

Go ahead man take the plunge.... what's the worse that can happen? LOL

Take care digger...

Tom

Be lucky its candles, Mine likes name brand shoes and handbags.

I can't say anything but WTF! They all look alike. I have to be creative when she asks "How do these look?" Well, I have to say they LOOK JUST LIKE THE 20 OTHER BLACK SHOES YOU HAVE! But I'm trained much better then that. As I imagine here with a Buggy on each foot (About the same price) I say, Wow they look GREAT! but they don't make your ass look any smaller :D

FastEddy said:
I say, Wow they look GREAT! but they don't make your ass look any smaller :D

That brought a tear to my eye! Beautiful words Ed!

FastEddy said:
As I imagine here with a Buggy on each foot (About the same price) I say, Wow they look GREAT! but they don't make your ass look any smaller :D
Try hanging one off of each cheek.

sweetdiesel said:
How thick is the Borco? The benchtop board is a little thin, I might still want something a little thicker as a foundation for the Borco if it is thin.

It is meant to be put over a substrate such as a drafting board so it is only about 1/16" thick. Kinda like laminating a countertop.

FastEddy said:
Wow!
Looks like a winner.....
How does it hold up to chemicals and heat?
Does it carry the RobMob seal of approval, if so, its a winner.

I haven't droped a chemical on it yet that has damaged it. As far as heat, it is a rubberized laminate so it won't take extreme heat. My soldering iron has melted into it a couple of times, but it does take a few seconds before it starts to do so.

I can send you a sample for testing if you want one.

I officially stamp the stuff with my seal of approval. When my workshop is completed next spring, every work suface is going to have the stuff on it.

you can usually buy it cheap at college bookstores in with the drafting tools (what are those???)......

what is college?

A Large computer desk works great You can get them cheap at yard sales. If you can try to put a washing sink close by for cleaning

well I found a good deal on a bench today at home depot.....they have a husky bench for 179......I got one on sale for 120 cause they don't display em and they took forever to get one for me...I had to go to 2 stores and all but I got one....steel bench w/ a burly top and wrapped in 16g(?) steel.....2 drawars a back pegboard and a shelf......took 2 hours to build.....I can't do pics yet.....no cam usb cable......

hey guys,
I've got the Gorilla racks like Eddy, got them at the depo for a steal, scratch and dent sale on the side walk, picked up two for $150. Had to buy hardware for the one cause it was missing. I also use the Akro bins, for screws and such, but found these little tupperware type 3 draw stackables at wally world for $2 a piece. I keep all my spare parts in them, there 6x6 and 2 inches deep. Also, get yourself a peg board and some specialty hooks at the depot. I hang mine and my sons trucks on them, wheels not touching. Jus some suggestions.

i use this old desk i found in my basement, it works great, and i can use all the drawers for storage....

I was just remembering this thread while using the bench to clean RCs.......
here's bench
Bench-1.jpg

Bench-3.jpg

Bench-2.jpg

and the before and after on the buggie
Dsc04642.jpg

Dsc04644.jpg

and what do ya think on th elid paint???
I never posted pics of any of my lids .....
Dsc04643.jpg

Nice setup you got there! much nicer than mine!

Skimming the paper this morning I was pleasently suprised to see that Menards carries the Gorilla Racks, which they originally gave me a deer in the headlight look when I was in there and asked if they did. 4' on sale for $69, 6' on sale $89.

Back