Looking for advice in building a work bench

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Regardless of what you build for a bench, get as many clear containers as you can. Having everything quickly accessible is paramount. Try Home Depot or Lowes for huge clear parts organizers cheap.

Here is a handy item that will store your car, radio, fuel and every accessory in one container (and it rolls):
http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=33255-315-FG246300DIMST&lpage=none

In case the link doesn't work, its a 45 gallon rolling rubbermaid storage container with a locking lid. 22.00 beats the 100+ they are charging for those car carrier bags (where you still have to take it apart to get it to fit????). This way, you can clear the car stuff off the work bench from time to time, and build other stuff too (not that I do though).

good ideas monkey wrench....stuff you don't really think about til you need it...and those are items you will need eventually....

I like having the small AKRO bins around to keep spare screws handy, I have about 10-12 for the most commonly used sizes and tags from the screw bags go right in the front slot for easy identification. Also, the larger AKRO bins make great work stands. All the bins are stackable and have a small lip on the back for hanging across a work bench.

I've seen them at home depot, not sure about lowes. I get mine from Frys, a local electronics superstore. If you have trouble getting some, LMK I can pick some up and ship em over to ya. The small bins run about $1-2 each, and the larger one was about $3. I'll snap some pics tonight to give you an idea of how big they are.

Are you going for the afro look, or did you forget to be gellin like a fellin?

attachment.jpg

Thanks Diesel. I'll look around at Home Depot next time I'm there and see. If I come up empty, may take you up on the offer.

I was to lazy to get a hair cut at the time. If I had know you were looking at me like that I would have worn a wig and put on some lipstick.

I was at OSH today and they have the Gorilla work benches and shelves on sale. 109.00 and 79.00. The ones they had were 5 feet not 4 like mine. It would be nice to have a little extra length but all the add ons in the industry are 4 feet.

Got mine tonight, 5 ft length at OSH for 109.99 like Eddy said. I'l pick up a light tommorow and a thicker top so I can mount my grinder. For wrenching on the RC and light duty chores this bench is going to work out perfect.

If your going to get a new top, you may want to look at something laminated. Its a hell of a lot easier to clean up.

You could also get a thiner top and glue it to the existing one. It may be cheaper.

A good covering for the top is some Borco drawing board cover. Easy to mount with contact cement or even double stick tape along the edges. It's easy to clean-up and self healing. It's been on my Fasteddy approved gorilla bench for over 10 years and is still going strong.

Wow!
Looks like a winner.....
How does it hold up to chemicals and heat?
Does it carry the RobMob seal of approval, if so, its a winner.

those are some nice table's... I'm gonna have to get me a few.. seems to be made strong and not like the flemzy junk. now i have a few tables and a old old computer desk. serves it's purpose but is UGLY lol.. i want some new stuff. ill have to check my local harware stores.

I had to tear part of the stuff down in my little room. (remodeling my house) Wasn't very organized anyway. Everything is on my workbench now. Got to get it straightened out. Figure I'll build most of mine.

How do you guys store your cars? Mine are sitting in the basement floor for now. I read somewhere that you are supposed to store them with the wheels off the ground? Thinking of building a rack like I put my planes in... Could take a 2x12 and tapcon it to the wall. Use 2 pieces of 1/2" pipe for each car. Does that make sense? Somebody has seen it.

Got my gorilla rack together in about an hour and a half.

DSC_0366.jpg

Akro bins work perfectly with the top shelf

DSC_0369.jpg

Heres a pic for monkey wrench of the large size bin as a car stand

DSC_0371.jpg

You can get them online here

www.outpost.com

Do a search on "akro"

Man I looked all over my local area... Home Depot, and Lowes and nothing. I haven't been able to find a gorilla rack anywhere. I guess they don't do to much business in MD. I guess I will have to go online and pay out the ying yang in shipping costs. I am guessing those things are not real light. Anywho... this is a list of things I have so far....

Air Compressor
Cordless Dremel
Hand Tools
TV
DVD Player
Stereo
Beer

I will look into the Bench Grinder, and a stand for my cordless drill.... I don't see me needing a benchpress... although, I may find I will. Also I need to pick up a vice.

I am still in the planning stages of this room but I will see if I can get you a before shot and post it. I hope to have this room up in a few months. I am working on a Visio drawing hoping to develop a decent floor plan of the entire basement. The soon to be wife said as long as I make her a storage space... I get the rest. We shall see. She also wants me to set up a train layout so I have my work cut out for me. LOL Once I close on my house I will have the necessary funds to start making some of these plans happen. I am putting at least half of the proceeds away for a rainy day and then the rest goes to finishing the basement and putting on a deck. The deck will probably happen first because she wants to have it up for the wedding party this summer. I am looking at that composite board, and putting up the vinal handrails. That way it will last forever, and I don't have to stain it! I close on Holloween!

Tom

Last edited:
That bench is pretty sweet. Power strip too. Can't have too many outlets.
Found a small bench on wallys site. $55 http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=2416220 Looks like it's about the same if ya can't find one local. My boss just walked in and caught me looking. "You could build one cheaper." She is one tight little huzzie! :hammer: Think I will weld up a rack to put my cars on... I work in a tube mill. So it's free.

Tom, don't forget the beer. Get plenty. Don't want to run out in the middle of something. :cheers:

digger said:
That bench is pretty sweet. Power strip too. Can't have too many outlets.
Found a small bench on wallys site. $55 http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=2416220 Looks like it's about the same if ya can't find one local. My boss just walked in and caught me looking. "You could build one cheaper." She is one tight little huzzie! :hammer: Think I will weld up a rack to put my cars on... I work in a tube mill. So it's free.

Tom, don't forget the beer. Get plenty. Don't want to run out in the middle of something. :cheers:

Definitely do not want to run out of beer! Ever! LOL

My boss always catches me looking online at this site..... never says anything though. I get my work done. She's cool most of the time.

Just for clarification.... did your boss catch you looking at her?, or just looking online. I wasn't sure if you were saying she was tight huzzie, or the bench. LOL Take car dig...

Tom

robmob said:
A good covering for the top is some Borco drawing board cover. Easy to mount with contact cement or even double stick tape along the edges. It's easy to clean-up and self healing. It's been on my Fasteddy approved gorilla bench for over 10 years and is still going strong.

How thick is the Borco? The benchtop board is a little thin, I might still want something a little thicker as a foundation for the Borco if it is thin.

Hey Diesel,

How thick is the piece of Partical board that makes up the top for that bench? It is hard to tell from the pictures on the web. It looks to be only about a 1/4 inch thick. One thing I used to do is put ceiling tiles upside down on the top of the bench and work from that. It adds stability, thickness and is very light. Plus you can stick pins in it to hold things down. It's an old trick from my airplane days.

Tom

Back