Lookin For Some Axles

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Anyone who does straps would do a tag and taglight. 🤣 that's my mind right there.

Looks excellent. Coming along great. What's the weight and how does it hold up and what's pulling it?
Sorry I missed this.
What is a tag and taglight? are you referring to a license plate and license plate light?
I haven't weighed the trailer or car. I should so I know.
I can tell you this. The tongue weight is wayyy too much. Especially since I plan to put a tire rack on the front of the trailer. I think I am going to have to grind off the axle mounts and move them forward to lighten the tongue weight. Maybe just weld some more mounts on so I can adjust the axles forward and back as I need to. I need to figure out something because it really weighs the car down. I already broke one drop hitch I printed....lol
PXL_20220130_060109485.jpg

I also wanted to add an update on my search for parts to build my own boat trailer in case someone decides to do this.
The Big Dog Trailer
Z-H0011-1.jpg
Screenshot 2023-08-23 110221.jpg

435$ for me out the door.

Cost to make it myself.
80$ - RC4WD quote on axles, hubs and springs, shipped. (RC4WD does not sell these but gave me a quote on replacement parts)
84$ - 42$ (4) *2 = 84$ + Ship Need (7) - Wheels
104$ - 26$ (2) *4 = 104$ + Ship Need (7) - Tires
26$ - Aluminum Channel for frame rails.
10$ - Perpendicular Rail supports (Print Myself. 5 hours labor, 10$ material.)
2$ - Trailer Jack (No Longer on their site. May be able to print or make one like this guy. 2 hours labor, 2$ material.)
20$ - LED's (Guessing around 20$. 3 hours labor.)
1$ - Tool Box (Print Myself. 1 hour labor, 1$ materials)
13$ - Hitch, Ball
10$ - Carpeted boat rail supports (Print and make. 4 hours labor, 10$ material)
Totals-----------------
750$ - Labor = 15 + Assembly of frame and accessories, paint = 15. Total of 30 hours I am guessing. What is my labor worth???? Ill just say 25$/ hour for sh*ts & giggles.
350$ - Total parts.
Grand Total:
1,100$

Even with printing some of my own parts I am almost three time the cost of a new one out the door.
Even with my labor halved, I am still way over cost of new.
I would love to make one but the parts prices are just too high.
Yeah trailer is pretty pricey but building yourself to look this realistic is a labor of love, not economics.
I just aint got that much love for this thing....
1692817035335.gif

Last edited:
Tag is the same as license plate. Sorry to hear about the high tounge weight. And thanks for justifying a trailer purchase. 🤣

I'm still gonna build a few, but am weighing in on an rc4wd tandem boat trailer.

Tag is the same as license plate. Sorry to hear about the high tounge weight. And thanks for justifying a trailer purchase. 🤣

I'm still gonna build a few, but am weighing in on an rc4wd tandem boat trailer.
HaHa!
I kinda felt that way when I was making this post but I also wanted others to know what to expect if they try to do this themself.
After my T-Maxx rebuild which cost me way more than I expected, I was still pretty surprised to see what this thing was going to cost.

Back